• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remote Thermostat Help

Namekagon

Oracle of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2018
Wausau, WI
I have a thermostat in my house that controls one of my two LP furnace zones. It’s one of the standard Honeywell Round dial thermostats, and it’s crapping out.

I’d like to replace it with a NON WI-FI thermostat capable of using a wireless temperature sensor. The problem is the original round thermostat is in a bad location at the end of a long hallway leading to bedrooms, and the temperature it senses doesn’t reflect the temperature of the bedrooms that furnace heats. So it either roasts you out of bed before the thermostat trips or never comes on at all because the main house zone is keeping the thermostat too warm. This happened as the result of multiple remodels/additions on the house, but the contractor(hired by previous owner) clearly should have moved it and didn’t.

I don’t want any of this smart home Wi-Fi wireless phone app crap though. No way I am connecting thermostats to the internet, not happening. So is anyone aware of a non Wi-Fi capable thermostat that can read off a wireless temp sensor? That combo seems tricky to find. Thanks.

Do you have vents above the bedroom doors to aid in airflow? If not, do it.

1702585970817.png

I am pretty confidant this isn't a venting/ductwork problem, but I'm interested in why that helps. Can you explain further?

I have a honeywell thermostat that uses multiple remote battery powered sensors to average out the temp.
The thermostat itself can be used to as one of the sensors or not depending on how you configure it.
Dont know the model number but it is a professional industrial line of thermostats.

Think its this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jrb572 and Frgood
I have a Honeywell system that has a portable thermostat. It is awesome! We had the same problem of the fixed thermostat at the top of the stairs. Never worked right. I think Honeywell calls these the Red Link systems. There are a lot of configurations. We went with the simplest option. We just take the thermostat to the room we are in and the system does the rest. Wish I had it years before we found it.

I am pretty confidant this isn't a venting/ductwork problem, but I'm interested in why that helps. Can you explain further?
The vents help the return air make its way out of the rooms, and in your case with the thermostat right outside those rooms, it should aid a bit with your issue.

Reactions: Namekagon
I have a honeywell thermostat that uses multiple remote battery powered sensors to average out the temp.
The thermostat itself can be used to as one of the sensors or not depending on how you configure it.
Dont know the model number but it is a professional industrial line of thermostats.

Think its this one.
Im looking for a non-wifi model. Does your have wifi connectability? It looks like the wifi control module might be something I can skip buying with this system? If so then that would likely work, though it seems pretty complicated a solution for what I need.

All I need is a thermostat that can read from a wireless temp sensor and do normal on/off thermostat things based on that lol. I'm only 39 and sometimes all this tech drives me insane.

Im looking for a non-wifi model. Does your have wifi connectability? It looks like the wifi control module might be something I can skip buying with this system? If so then that would likely work, though it seems pretty complicated a solution for what I need.

All I need is a thermostat that can read from a wireless temp sensor and do normal on/off thermostat things based on that lol. I'm only 39 and sometimes all this tech drives me insane.
how difficult would it be to move the existing thermostat. Its basically just a wire that could be spliced, run through the attic to another location, and remounted in a better location.

The Honeywell is not connected to my wifi.

Reactions: Namekagon

RedLINK is Honeywell's wireless communication protocol and depending on the thermostat model, it will do exactly what you're asking. Not all of their models are RedLINK-compatible so if you're shopping at something like supplyhouse.com, enter that term into their search box. The 'stat and the remote sensor are usually sold separately. I don't think the cheaper FocusPro 6000 'stats will do what you want but I wouldn't swear to it. The VisionPro 8000 will work.

As far as Wi-Fi, the RedLINK-compatible VisionPro 8000 is battery-powered and does not connect directly to your wireless router. If you ever want to add Wi-Fi capability after the fact, you can always buy their $80-90 THM6000 gateway module.

I don't know if it's true but one of my residential clients is an IT guy and he claims RedLINK is a relatively secure protocol compared to what some of their competitors are using. For whatever it's worth.

Some thermostat offerings from Nest and ecobee can be paired with an optional remote sensor but those are Wi-Fi thermostats which you said you were hoping to avoid.

RedLINK is Honeywell's wireless communication protocol and depending on the thermostat model, it will do exactly what you're asking. Not all of their models are RedLINK-compatible so if you're shopping at something like supplyhouse.com, enter that term into their search box. The 'stat and the remote sensor are usually sold separately. I don't think the cheaper FocusPro 6000 'stats will do what you want but I wouldn't swear to it. The VisionPro 8000 will work.

As far as Wi-Fi, the RedLINK-compatible VisionPro 8000 is battery-powered and does not connect directly to your wireless router. If you ever want to add Wi-Fi capability after the fact, you can always buy their $80-90 THM6000 gateway module.

I don't know if it's true but one of my residential clients is an IT guy and he claims RedLINK is a relatively secure protocol compared to what some of their competitors are using. For whatever it's worth.

Some thermostat offerings from Nest and ecobee can be paired with an optional remote sensor but those are Wi-Fi thermostats which you said you were hoping to avoid.
3 years
14 posts
hmm

Seems you've never heard of power companies *backdooring* wifi thermostats and changing the temps in homes remotely.....without permission.

Perhaps you have, and support that.

My glowdar meter is pegging.

3 years
14 posts
hmm

Seems you've never heard of power companies *backdooring* wifi thermostats and changing the temps in homes remotely.....without permission.

Perhaps you have, and support that.

My glowdar

If you don't install Honeywell's separate gateway, good luck connecting this RedLINK stat to the Internet. But do as you wish.