• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Removable Muzzle brakes? Anyone have experience ?

AberdeenReb

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2009
MS
I have a rifle that needs a brake, but I want it removable so I can hunt without the brake so it wont blow my ear drums out.

Re: Removable Muzzle brakes? Anyone have experience ?

It's a lot less of a hassle to remove a pair of ear plugs than it is a muzzle brake. A muzzle brake is threaded anyways and can be removed from any weapon unless it's welded on. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Hope this helps

If you are looking for a brake that can easily be remove without worrying about indexing issues you are going to want something like a Vais with holes all the way around or a Badger FTE. However the FTE is more for a heavy barrel.

You’re also going to want a thread protector for when the brake is not there.

Savage makes an Adjustable Muzzle Brake for at least one of its models, which can be adjusted completely off, to achieve exactly what you're asking. The product code <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">AK</span></span> designates the presence of this feature on versions within their model lines.

Greg

I have 2 rifles with muzzle breaks and I had thread protector caps made for them also. I do just what you are wanting to do with no problems. It takes the total of about 2 minutes to swap out. During hunting season I take the brakes off because I don't like wearing hearing protection while I am hunting. You don't always have time to put on muffs or earplugs before a shot. Just remember to re-zero after you swap the brake out.

I am using Nathan Dagley's (Straight Shot Gunsmithing) 10 degree V port brake.

David

we've a group buy going on our brakes at the mo if you are interested.
I personaly use one on my 9.3RSM hunting rifle, the barrel diameter at the muzzle is around 17mm. Threaded to M15x1, adaptor screwed on (as we haven't an M15x1 brake in the line up yet) and a C20 clapm brake clamped to the adaptor, which in effect gives me a brake with an m15x1 thread in it.

Also use one on my .308 and .338 Lapua, both M18x1 thread.

you can easily remove any of the brakes that are threaded and clamped, such as ours, the Badger FTE, the AI brakes, the PGM brake and several others.
certainly threaded and clamp is by far the easiest to time up or index into the correct possition.

regards Pete

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AberdeenReb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a rifle that needs a brake, but I want it removable so I can hunt without the brake so it wont blow my ear drums out. </div></div>

I think anything that will blow your drums with a break on is prolly not too good for your hearing anyway. So you might just plan on the plugs.

BTW you havent lived till you have had your drums blown out by a 120mm on an Abrams.

The Tubb brake would work also.

have vais very happy

get thread protector (dont lose it)

loud for others at range

dust kick but manageable

Is your barrel threaded? If not are you planning on getting it threaded or using a clamp on type muzzle break (e.g. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1540/Product/ADJUSTABLE_MUZZLE_BRAKE).

I have not used an adjustable, only the threaded. I found about a 3/4 MOA change in impact point when removing my factory muzzle break.

It seems like some of the adjustable breaks I have seen would be better than a removable as they may change point of impact less. Also with these and the clamp on type there is no thread cap to loose out of season.

Re: Removable Muzzle brakes? Anyone have experien

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are looking for a brake that can easily be remove without worrying about indexing issues you are going to want something like a Vais with holes all the way around or a Badger FTE. However the FTE is more for a heavy barrel.

You’re also going to want a thread protector for when the brake is not there.
</div></div>

Great advice. I have installed several VIAS brakes lately. They offer ample recoil reduction in a small package. They even come with a tapered pin for easy removal. Get the one in Stainless when possible.

Re: Removable Muzzle brakes? Anyone have experien

They make gel ear plugs that are very comfortable to wear hunting. I am sure you have the brake on there for a reason, less recoil? Just leave it on.