• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Removable Muzzle Device?

HairyDemon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2013
San Antonio, TX
The best local rifle shooting competition I have close to me at my range is an F-Class 500 yard match. (well 547 yard, because we shoot to the 500 meter line, because we the 500 yard pit has not been made yet) The rules of the shoot due to the close proximity of shooters on the line is that muzzle devices of any kind are not allowed other than a standard A2 birdcage if shooting a FT/R and using an AR. I would like to build a 308 bolt that I would use predominately for fun and target shooting so I would like to put a break on it if I could and I plan on putting a break on my .260 rem that I use now to shoot Open in the F-Class matches. Not interested in getting into a muzzle brake vs no muzzle brake debate. Here is my question.

How many folks have a threaded barrel, and shoot with a break on and take it off and shoot with the thread protector. I am guessing this comes down to quality of the thread/Crown job and it shouldn't really have much impact on the rifle as long as the break is not over torqued to the shoulder at muzzle. Maybe the suppressor guys can chime in that do direct thread. I enjoy shooting my .260 because it has a longer heavier barrel and then the reduced recoil of the round over .308. But I am planning on going with a substantially shorter barrel on the .308 so it is a little more maneuverable when I get a chance to hunt with it and it is also easier to put in my AR bags, as I plan on running a Mcree folding stock. Just would like to be a little more pleasant to shoot more rounds at a time. Am I asking too much of this or is this common place?