• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Removal and replacement of Badger FTE brake

RobG

Douchebag Hauler
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2007
W. Sac, Kalifornia
I am going to be acquiring a Rem LTR that has the Badger FTE brake. I find it too large for the barrel contour and would like to replace it with the R&D brake. I currently use one on another rifle. Is it simply unscrew the Badger and screw on the R&D??

Thanks

Re: Removal and replacement of Badger FTE brake

Normally, I would agree with Mike, but I think you can do this one on your own, IF you know whats going on.

First you need to know what model of FTE you have. There are three that I'm aware of:

5/8 24
3/4 24
3/4 28

And you need to know what R&D brake you have and the threads on it. I only use the FTE so, I don't know what exactly the different models of the R&D are. Its on the forum somewhere because I've read about them before.

If the threads match up, and you are shooting the same caliber projectile through it, it it is clear that the projectile will pass through the brake without touching one of the baffles, you should be able to put it on yourself. My understanding of the R&D is that was kind of the purpose of the way it was made.

Here are the problems you may face:

1. Different Threads
2. Different Calibers
3. It must be timed correctly. That isn't hard with either of these designs.
4. The FTE has a lock collar with a pinch screw that clamps onto a machined part of the barrel. You may remove the FTE and not like the way the barrel is contoured under it. Typically, a small part of the barrel has to be contoured on a lathe to fit the FTE lock collar.
5. If the threads are not centered, or the brake is not reamed out for your caliber, you may have a baffle strike and have MAJOR issues. And I mean MAJOR. Partial face removal MAJOR.

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="color: #CC0000">If any of what I've typed raises a question in your mind, you don't know the treads, or don't know if the brake is reamed for your caliber, I defer to Mike's post. Let a smith do it.</span> </span>

There was a thread a while back of an improperly installed brake. I believe it had not been reamed for the appropriate caliber. I can't find it now, but it was a epic fail and could have really hurt someone if they were in the way of the pieces that flew off. I don't know who you have for smiths up there in Sactown, but we have Ray Parga here on the central coast. Highly recommend him if you go the smith route. I believe his handle here is Parga, you can PM him and he will help you out.

If in question let a good smith do it, i have seen a couple blowen right off the barrel on the line followed by i did what the instructions said honist. Be safe on this one. Mike is right. MM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Normally, I would agree with Mike, but I think you can do this one on your own, IF you know whats going on.

</div></div>You realize that he will have an exposed shoulder on his barrel that will look like crap, right? OP, you will almost certainly have to have someone cut the barrel back and rethread it for the RD brake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hill billy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Normally, I would agree with Mike, but I think you can do this one on your own, IF you know whats going on.

</div></div>You realize that he will have an exposed shoulder on his barrel that will look like crap, right? OP, you will almost certainly have to have someone cut the barrel back and rethread it for the RD brake. </div></div>

Did you read my post? I pretty well laid that out...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="font-style: italic">4. The FTE has a lock collar with a pinch screw that clamps onto a machined part of the barrel. You may remove the FTE and not like the way the barrel is contoured under it. Typically, a small part of the barrel has to be contoured on a lathe to fit the FTE lock collar. </span></div></div>

Thanks guys. I wasn't necessarily considering DIY'ing it, though my post came across that way. I just do not want to shorten the already short 20" barrel to change the brake. I guess I will see when I get it.

Thanks