• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Removal of dreaded j-lock

mlthoma

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2006
ABQ, New Mexico
I was about to order a new bolt today for my SA 700 so I could do away with the j-lock, but it occurred to me that I don't know what all parts are different for j-lock. Is it just shroud and cocking piece? Trigger? What is the best way to go about this?

mlthoma

Re: Removal of dreaded j-lock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You want the whole "kit" like this.

Get a Callahan, Gre-Tan or Kiff. All are probably made by Kiff anyway.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=839379

http://www.gretanrifles.com/detailsGTR.asp?id=75 </div></div>

What he said replace the whole pre-assembled assembly.
It really isn't worth the trouble unless you have extra parts laying around, do the math and add what your time is worth not to mention the exense IF the pin backs out and locks the firing pin up.

Thanks for the great info! Any recommendations RE: speedlock or lightened firing pins? I don't like the sound of an aluminum firing pin. I'm sure locktime is WAY down the priority list when it comes to things that will improve my shooting. (PRACTICE probably comes before that somewhere)but if it's a good thing to have, might as well do it now.

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keydiverfla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to rain on anyone's parade/advice but I have a J-lock on my most accurate rifle I own. Given it has a better firing pin & spring. Just my .02 Good luck</div></div>

I'm genuinely curious, what makes the firing pin and spring better with your j-lock setup?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keydiverfla</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Given it has a better firing pin & spring. Just my .02 Good luck </div></div>

Ninja WHAT ???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keydiverfla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to rain on anyone's parade/advice but I have a J-lock on my most accurate rifle I own. Given it has a better firing pin & spring. Just my .02 Good luck</div></div>

I'm genuinely curious, what makes the firing pin and spring better with your j-lock setup? </div></div>
Not saying mine is better, just saying that it works well with a different pin.