• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Remove bedding from receiver to mount new base?

robertg

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2009
NJ
Well, I just got my EGW base and removed the old 2 piece base. It apperas there is some sort of bedding compound put there by the guys at Dick's when they mounted the scope there. I tried removing it with Acetone and Goo Off, but they didn't work. So, I scraped it off and got most it off, but it appears there is some very minor residue still there. Also, I noticed that none of it stuck to the bases, only to the receiver. I called Dick's and the people there at the time didn't know what it was, and the scope guy is not there until later today. Should I care that there is some very minor residue still there? Any other tips for removing what is stil there? Thanks.

Re: Remove bedding from receiver to mount new base?

Try some heat. Use a hair dryer on high and keep it moving over the area and use a wooded spatual to rub the material off. Should work.

Re: Remove bedding from receiver to mount new base?

Thanks for the hair dryer suggestion. I will five it a try. I spoke to them at dicks and they said they use Devcon.