• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remove Remington metal and replace with Badger M5?

mattmcg

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2007
CA
I am interested in purchasing a rifle from another private party but there is a modification that I would need on it and wanted to see how difficult it might be to swap the bottom metal.

The rifle is a KMW 308 rifle with a McMillan A5 stock. It has a Surgeon tactical action and Remington non-detachable bottom metal.

I’d like to swap the Rem bottom metal for a Badger M5 detachable magazine setup for AICS mags and understand there may be some inletting and alignment concerns to doing this.

How difficult is this conversion? Does the rifle need to be rebedded and new lugs installed? Who does this type of work? Typically how much would it cost to have this done?

Thanks in advance for your advice......

Re: Remove Remington metal and replace with Badger M5?

I had George at GAP perform this conversion on a McMillan HTG stock that was factory inletted for a Remmy floorplate. If I remember correctly, GAP charged me just under $400 for the M5 and the installation. M5 bottom metal comes with bedding pillars which have to be installed, and your stock will have to be inletted also. I love mine and I would recommend contacting GAP, although many competent smiths can perform this work. My stock was bedded for the first time following the conversion, so I cannot say whether or not your stock would need re-bedding (I fairly new to this game). If you've never done any inletting work, I'd recommend letting a pro do it.