• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: Elk bullet opinions

Are you talking about the "Target" VLD, or the "Hunting" VLD. If it was me I'd feel OK with the "Hunting" VLD But I wouldn't trust the "Target" VLD to open up. I may be wrong, but either way I'd use a hunting bullet for hunting, particularly for BIG game with a 280.

Not to ruffle any feathers BUT... after watching the way the bullet behaves upon impact with 200-250 pound black bears I personally wouldn't trust it on larger heavy boned critters. If you were to have a shot that wasn't REALLY well placed I think you could easily end up losing an animal. I think if people are honest with themselves they would have to admit that they are human and therefore fallible and that their shots don't always go exactly as planned. I know I went out and worked a separate load for moose and larger (brown) bears as I do not trust the penetration capabilities of the VLD's. This is just my opinion and I know there are people on here that will disagree.

The Accubonds I've recovered from moose have performed very uniformly. They were 180gr fired from a 300wm and they were all around 117-119gr when recovered. It didn't seem to matter if they went through ribs and vitals or a whole bunch of vertebrae they were very uniform and put the critter on the ground. There are plenty of other good hunting bullets out there but I wouldn't hesitate to use the accubonds on moose sized critters. I've never hunted elk before but I would assume you could lump them into a similar category as moose. Good luck with it.

Slayer,
I have used Interbonds and Accubonds in .284 on plenty of deer and elk. They do it right, good expansion with ample penetration. I personally like the 160 grain range for elk. And they were 1/2 minute out to 300 yds in my 7 mag.

Good luck, and get to shooting what you will be hunting with:)

Steve: there were some good replies to my post about this awhile back. You might get some insight there. Check it out below. Also, at the Best of the West site and Beyond Belief videos, they are using Bergers to knock the shit outta some elk, etc. Pretty impressive. I'm working up some 168 VLD loads for my 7Remmie. I shot two of the best groups of my life w/ them in an old 700 that's seen prolly 1000 rounds thru it. Good luck this year. Send elk meat, money,marbles and chalk.
ps.....know anyone who wants to buy a Remm mag bolt? LOL.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1208079&page=1

I asked Shawn Carlock this very same question re: Elk, and his two suggestions for my .308 were either the 168 VLD or the 178gr A-Max load that I already have worked up. Note thou, I didn't have a chance to engage him in a long conversation about penetration thru bone yadda yadda yadda.

EHG has shot a boatload of critters with "match bullets" he'd be a great guy to ask. Put the bullet in the right place and you will be GTG.

Seriously??? wtf...

how many times...

Look Berger hunted the world with the VLD's and killed all kinds of shit. You people who have this phobia of hunting without anything that is label a hunting bullet need to wake up.

Bergers have killed a lot of Elk.

Match bullets have killed tons of shit.

I don't agree with a lot of the Best of the West stuff. ( early years when Burns was there. ) They may have bettered themselves since he left.

Slayer,

Pick a bullet, brass, powder, primer combo that is the most accurate and go hunting. Make a well placed shot and then get your hands bloody.

AB's
TSX
MatchKings
VLD's
Scirocos
Amax
SST's
NBT's

I've seen them all kill equally well.

for the thousandth time. Shot placement is the key.

Shot placement is the KEy.

However The rigle bullet never hurts.

For me on elk I use the Barnes TSX except for one gun tha twon't shoot it as well as it does another load.

Steve,

The hunting VLD should do you fine for elk. The Accubond, or any other bonded bullet, will also be a good choice. Pick whichever shoots the best, and has the least fps change due to temp, and hunt with that.

Chad

Some target bullets will work fine...IF you hit the right spot. If you shoot a premium bullet like a Barnes TSX Solid..you have a much better chance of killing the animal cleanly if you don't hit the perfect spot. A TSX will stay together and retain weight to smash bone and continue moving. Lead core bullets are much more apt to come apart. A Berger 30 cal bullet may cost .30-.40 cents. A Barnes may cost /60-.70 cents. If you are spending a lot of time and money hunting big game...why skimp on pennies? I have no affiliation with Barnes...I just know how good their bullets work from past experience.

FWIW, Im going on my first elk hunt this fall. I will be using Berger VLDs in either rifle that I take. 175s in a 308 or 180s in a 7WSM. Im not a bit worried about the bullets....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you shoot a premium bullet like a Barnes TSX Solid..you have a much better chance of killing the animal cleanly if you don't hit the perfect spot.</div></div>

How many have you killed with a match bullet?

I like the 160 Nosler Partition and the Swfit A Frame. They hold together, penetrate well and mushroom consistently. I have no experience with the Berger. In the 7mm mag. I have only killed a moose with Accubonds in the 7mm and they did not penetrate well.

my default elk bullet in .30-06 is the 150 TSX driven as fast as practical.

For giggles, here is one of my Pards public land bulls. He killed him with the a 140gr TSX from his 280 Rem. This bull had a bullet nestled against his shoulder of at least one years vintage. So shot placement isn't the only answer. Use a good bullet!
CommunityPasture015_2-1.jpg

I have to agree with chucknelson. My buddy found a nicely mushroomed 30cal bullet under the shoulder of a big muley several years ago. It was surrounded by hard gristle, so it had been there for a long time. Shot placement was good. Penetration was bad. I'll admit that it was probably a 30-30 from too far away, but still...

Load a Barnes TTSX and go hunting. I don't think you are going to have a hard time getting them to shoot good, they have always shot good for me.
-X3M

I got another email from Shawn Carlock today, and for you .308 shooters: 165 AccuBond sounds like a good choice. Or the very similar Swift I would imagine.

I know someone that took one of our Red Desert bulls last year with a Sirocco launched from a .30-06. 500 yard shot. Died on its feet.

LMFAO.... Here we go again...

IMHO find the bullet that shoots the most acurate for you and run with it...

Know your limits and the limits of your cartridge/bullet selection and dont take shots out of your paygrade...

There is NO "Holy Grail" bullet IMHO... I have killed a fuckton of elk with every bullet imaginable and they have
all killed what they were sent at...

Shot placement <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">IS</span></span> key as a bad shot is a bad shot no matter what bullet you use...Hunting or Match....

Steve... Good luck with whatever you choose to go with...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just get within 18 paces of the Elk... and any boolit you use will work.... provided your rifle is 'tuned' with a BOSS brake... </div></div>

Jeap, you can even shoot at 45 degree angle to the target and the BOSS will just suck it right into the boiler room.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just get within 18 paces of the Elk... and any boolit you use will work.... provided your rifle is 'tuned' with a BOSS brake... </div></div>
LOL!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkhuntinguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LMFAO.... Here we go again...

Know your limits and the limits of your cartridge/bullet selection and dont take shots out of your paygrade...

There is NO "Holy Grail" bullet IMHO... I have killed a fuckton of elk with every bullet imaginable and they have

Shot placement <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">IS</span></span> key as a bad shot is a bad shot no matter what bullet you use...Hunting or Match....

</div></div>

Seeing as he's only dumped a few 100 a year.. take this with a grain of salt....
wink.gif

Bullshit.... grab your swiss army knife and make a banshee run and slit his throat.
That's what Chuck wold do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weda'</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just get within 18 paces of the Elk... and any boolit you use will work.... provided your rifle is 'tuned' with a BOSS brake... </div></div>

Bullshit.... grab your swiss army knife and make a banshee run and slit his throat.
That's what Chuck wold do. </div></div>
confused.gif

My .02 Have had great success with both Nosler Accubond and
Berger VLD. Pick the one that shoots the best, and practice, practice, practice. Standing, sitting, kneeling, supported and unsupported. A bad shot is a bad shot no matter what. Know your limits!!! Now when you think you are ready..... GO SHOOT SOME MORE!!!!!!

Good Luck and post hte pics when you get back!

T

Elk are a LOT tougher than whitetails, please use a good hunting bullet. Many people shoot match bullets and get away with it, but there are plenty of tough bullets that shoot great and will give you the confidence that you bullet won't be the weak link. The TSX sounds good the swift is great, and Nosler has some great offerings.

Elk have big tough bones, that depending on the angle can test your bullets. Tracking wounded elk sucks, I hope you never have to experience it.

People say just take careful shots, but sometimes you cant get the perfect broadside shot, and a premium hunting bullet will give you the ability to break both shoulders on an elk. I really doubt the Berger will be tough enough to do it. Im sure others have killed many more Elk than I, but I have seen elk soak up a lot of damage, so much more than even mule deer can take.

I don't believe that good bullets will kill on bad shots, they just expand the window of what acceptable shots are. (quartering, partially visible animals...)

jim-jones.jpg

Old Jim says a little Barnes will do ya
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucknelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weda'</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just get within 18 paces of the Elk... and any boolit you use will work.... provided your rifle is 'tuned' with a BOSS brake... </div></div>

That's what Chuck wold do. </div></div>
confused.gif

</div></div>

Norris that is... ;-)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tylermtech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Elk are a LOT tougher than whitetails, please use a good hunting bullet. Many people shoot match bullets and get away with it, but there are plenty of tough bullets that shoot great and will give you the confidence that you bullet won't be the weak link. The TSX sounds good the swift is great, and Nosler has some great offerings.

Elk have big tough bones, that depending on the angle can test your bullets. Tracking wounded elk sucks, I hope you never have to experience it.

People say just take careful shots, but sometimes you cant get the perfect broadside shot, and a premium hunting bullet will give you the ability to break both shoulders on an elk. I really doubt the Berger will be tough enough to do it. Im sure others have killed many more Elk than I, but I have seen elk soak up a lot of damage, so much more than even mule deer can take.

I don't believe that good bullets will kill on bad shots, they just expand the window of what acceptable shots are. (quartering, partially visible animals...)

</div></div>

I've tracked my share of wounded Elk. All due to poor shot placement and a "buck fever" client.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really doubt the Berger will be tough enough to do it</div></div>

They are. Using the 175 gr and heavier bullets

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkhuntinguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LMFAO.... Here we go again...

</div></div>

This says it all, and from someone who should know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weda'</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkhuntinguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LMFAO.... Here we go again...

</div></div>

Seeing as he's only dumped a few 100 a year.. take this with a grain of salt....
wink.gif
</div></div>

That salt rubbing your cunt? EHG knows what the hell he is talking about and what he is doing. Trust him when he tells you something abut elk hunting.

Good... glad you did Weda. Sorry I didn't read the inflection correctly, just figured with the history that you were fuckin with him again and he is a great friend and I tend to take up for those without remorse. Now with all that gushy shit over with back to the thread and some good elk killin bullets.

The 180gr TSX worked well last year for the one and only Elk I have ever killed so I am no freakin authority by any means but I did like that one but personally think shot placement is the key factor.

<span style="font-size: 17pt">“The single most important factor in wound lethality is bullet placement. This cannot be overstated."</span>
Taken from: The Mechanics of Terminal Ballistics

Now with that being said I realize there are standards that should be met but let's not kick this dead horse to pieces.

~HF~

T,

No worries...

back to the program...

I often marvel over the blindness of the "hunters" who rely on the printed labeling of bullets to lead them into the bar to sip cool aide.

scan0001-1.jpg

155gr Lapua Scenars(2)from a GAP .308 through the ribs at 447 meters did this bull in. They were only 1" apart and both bullets completely penetrated the elk....hit them correctly and you will be punching your tag!

Damn PGS, I need to be in one of those pictures. How do I sign-up?

Great picture

Jerry

Most stuff will work fairly well on Elk if your shot placement is good. The one major exception is when you push lightly constructed bullets at magnum velocities and short ranges (15-25 yards or shorter). On several occasions, I've seen a Ballistic Tip's out of .30 Cal magnums disintegrate at close range on the thick hide of Elk. The Elk were eventually felled, but after several rounds and a short chase. Your milage may vary.

scan0004-4.jpg

A good friend of mine with a mature cow elk taken at 335 meters with a .257 Weatherby...bullet used was a 110gr Accubond. You can see the entry at the point of the right front shoulder. It was a quarter facing shot. We found the bullet under the hide on the off side...it weighed 90 grains.

That combo in a .257 wby is a bad mamma-jamma. Can you say LASER?