• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Removing 700 barrel?

Iloveguns

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2010
Arizona
Can anyone point me to a thread, or some info on how to properly remove my Remington 700 barrel? Tried the search and could not find anything.

Re: Removing 700 barrel?

Bring it over and let me do it. Much easier if you have the correct tools, and if this is a factory barrel good luck without the correct tools.

Love to do it my self. But if I have problems I will consider bringing it to you. Its an after market barrel that is tweaked to the left a hair. Might be some more issues then just the barrel but I will cross that road when I get to it. Was going to buy a barrel vise and and Action wrench from Brownell. Is that good enough?

Tips:

Get a hot air gun. Milwaukee makes a good one.

Mix up a home brew of 50/50 Type F tranny fluid and acetone.

Barrel vise encouraged. Clamp the tube up close to the receiver along the cylinder portion of the barrel.

Hose it down with the ATF/acetone mix. Squirt some down the scope base holes. (REMOVE any/all bases from up front!!) Hose it down in the breech area too via ejection port.

Put the hot air gun to it till it smokes to beat hell. Get it RAGIN hot. The hot air gun warms the steel without ruining heat treatment, surface finishes, coatings, etc. Your not trying to do anything but break down the lock tite the factories use and promote some capillary action so that your "erl" mix wicks its way in there to loosen things up.

Insert your action wrench and using a breaker bar you'll have a drama free experience. No beads of sweat, no busted knuckles, no ruined receivers or barrels.

Good luck.

-C

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tips:

Get a hot air gun. Milwaukee makes a good one.

Mix up a home brew of 50/50 Type F tranny fluid and acetone.

Barrel vise encouraged. Clamp the tube up close to the receiver along the cylinder portion of the barrel.

Hose it down with the ATF/acetone mix. Squirt some down the scope base holes. (REMOVE any/all bases from up front!!) Hose it down in the breech area too via ejection port.

Put the hot air gun to it till it smokes to beat hell. Get it RAGIN hot.

Insert your action wrench and using a breaker bar you'll have a drama free experience. No beads of sweat, no busted knuckles, no ruined receivers or barrels.

Good luck.

-C</div></div>

....you a funny guy..................

If you dont care about the barrel then a large pipe wrench will make quik work of it.

You need a barrel vice and action wrench. Depending who's you order your looking at $125-$300 of tooling.

Your local gunsmith would be alot cheaper.

+1 for the local gunsmith. Remington factory barrels can really be torqued on. No sense in twisting the action to save a few bucks.

Good luck

Jerry

bring it to hateCA

don't attempt to do it yourself. with out the right tools you'll for sure screw it up.

Understand the need for the proper tools. I dont mind spending the money on tools. I plan on working on my own guns from here on out as much as I can. The barrel is not factory it is aftermarket. Will try to take pictures of it so I can get help from someone to identify it hopefully.

contact Sinclair intl or brownells they have barrel vices andd action spanners. If it is not a factory barrel this is all you need they screw in and out like doing up a nut.

Wneh tightening the barrel just make sure you tension it up firmly you dont have to over tighten barrels. You can also get a tool from Brownells that locates the recoil lug if it is not pinned i made my own but if you dont have one place the barreled action in the stock with the barrel slightly loose then nip it up using the bedding to hold it in place.

you'll need some custom bushings then. Have them made so there is about 2" from the breach of the barrel. Don't get them way out on the barrel.