• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Removing a flashhider help

58blackflag

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 30, 2012
SC
I have a RRA CAR-4 with a flashhider installed from the factory on a 16" barrel. Is it as easy as simple as unscrewing it to take it off? I don't see that it is pinned or otherwise secured anywhere but it doesn't seem to want to budge...
Any recommendations?
I need to get this darn thing off so I can try out my suppressor on it! Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 5
Yes it should just unscrew. Make sure you have the upper secure in the vice. Also, make sure you are turning it the right way. If you have a lot of rounds on the gun you will have to break through the carbon buildup. That could be why it is a little stiff

Clamp the barrel, never the upper. Remove handguards to access a wide spot on the barrel. If you don't have a barrel fixture, clamp the barrel tight in a bench vise between two blocks of dense wood. Ensure the wood blocks are cross-grain to the barrel to prevent splitting. A few good whacks with a 3 lb hammer on the wrench will loosen the FH. If the barrel turns in the blocks, tighten the vise. Do not clamp over the FSB or gas block. Never apply torque to an upper when installing or removing a muzzle device. The only time torque should be applied to an upper is when installing or removing barrel nut.

BTW, the preceeding method and cautions come from WSTC AR15/M16 armorer's classes I attended. I have removed factory installed FHs from Knights, LWRC, and Colt ARs, and a S&W M&P 15-22 using this method with no problem.

Not trying to insult you but make sure it is a true 16" barrel not a 14.5 with a welded on flashider to make it 16".

I put a big adjustable wrench on it and a few not too hard knocks on the end broke it loose. Thanks everyone for the help!