• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing removing a muzzle device.............

shootist2004

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2005
las vegas
just bought a Daniel defense M4 and want to install my can. how hard is it to remove?
do I need to apply heat? do they use some type of Loctite? thanks..............

I usually warm them with a propane hand torch a little and put the correct spanner on and twist it off. Heat may not be needed, but if it had red loctite or rockset it should help.

You're sure it's not silver soldered on, correct?

I'd give them a call/email to find out before trying to take it off. Cheaper than ruining a brand new rifle barrel.

Unless it was ordered from DD permanently attached option (pinned and welded) it should just wrench off. Of course use a barrel vise or reaction rod................

To my knowledge, if it’s a 16” barrel it shouldn’t be pinned unless you requested it that way. If it’s a 14.5” it’s pinned unless it’s registered as an sbr.

Should be able to put it in the appropriate vice setup and twist it off. If it seems really stuck then twist harder. ?

I usually warm them with a propane hand torch a little and put the correct spanner on and twist it off. Heat may not be needed, but if it had red loctite or rockset it should help.

You're sure it's not silver soldered on, correct?

Pretty sure Rockset is a higher temperature than you'd want with a propane torch. I thought soaking it in water was the way to break it. Yes, red and blue locktite need heat to spin off easily.

I had a barrel that had none of the above, it was just tight (although I did not know it at the time). My smith tried and said he wouldn't put any more force cause he didn't want to break it. I took it home, put it in a vise, and got a little crazy (I was willing to break it). Eventually, it came off, with lots of love. And, by love, I mean a solid smack with a sledge hammer head to break it loose.

Unless it was ordered from DD permanently attached option (pinned and welded) it should just wrench off. Of course use a barrel vise or reaction rod................

I do NOT use a reaction rod to remove muzzle devices. I am not the only person that has unintentionally removed the barrel extension using the RR. The proper method is holding the barrel close to the muzzle in a padded vise even if you have to remove the handguard. Some are easy enough that you can simply have a helper hold the rifle down on a padded bench while you spin them off. I had one on a pencil barrel that wouldn't come off with a 2 foot pipe wrench with the barrel in a vise. I ended up having to grind a slot around the crush washer with a cutoff wheel to relieve the pressure. You never know how tight it is on until you try to remove it. Most don't require more than 25-30 FP to remove.

Should just be a crush washer and some kind of threadlocker, be sure it's not pinned and welded though.

well I took your advice and called Daniel Defense. 14.5 barrel is pinned and welded on. 18,16 13 and 10 inch is torqued on. thanks everybody. pics to follow..........

Reactions: KZP