• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Removing a ton of Krylon

beenjammin

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Guys I just got done totally disassembling a sako trg and removing thick krylon from everywhere. here is a before pic.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1265900&page=1

I read where aceton was good for it and i went to home depot to get some. well they had about 20 different solvents there for paint removal and the paint dude couldnt even tell me anything.

I ended up buying a small can of Acetone and a small can of MEK. methyl-ethyl-ketone.

What i found is they both work, but the acetone is so volitile that it evaporates before you get very much area. I found ti to be a real pain in the ass. I switched over to the MEK and I stayed around a little longer and also did a very good job. Just squirt and wipe. The TRGs plastic body help up to it as well.

Just thought Id list for some info. It now looks factory new.

Re: Removing a ton of Krylon

Looked good before.

Whats she look like now?

Three main components of rattlecan spray -- color, binder, and solvent. If you can reanimate the binder with solvent, then you can remove the color. But I'd be awful careful with MEK -- it's great for what it does, but you'd thank yourself to wear gloves with something like that.

+1 for post-mod pics.

I will post some pics, and yes gloves with this kind of organic solvent is a good idea. I have been around it so long with work that it doesnt even burn my skin anymore... got to be a bad thing.

Im justnot a krylon fan is why i did it. I like everything factory. Just a me thing.

Auto Zone, Super Clean Degreaser (in the gallon, and bigger, purple jug), immerse overnight, remove softened residual paint with a plastic dish scrubber pad. Kinda amazing, actually; it even stripped the black paint off my Harris Bipod. If necessary, repeat. Tends to etch aluminum. Non toxic, biodegradable. The degreaser can be strained, recovered, and reused. I think of the stuff as "Krylon's Nemesis".

Greg

MEK works very well, but that shit gives cancer to robots. I only use it when nothing else will work. Xylene is another that works well, and isn't quite as bad for you.

Methyl ethyl keytone (MEK) is an industrial catalyst used in the processing of fiberglass, and works to turn raw fiberglass into a sticky goo. Keep this in mind when getting it anywhere near a fiberglass stock.

If you want to see that stuff's use, rub it into some unwanted fiberglass material and watch it burn a hole straight through.

Agreed on the comments of it giving cancer to robots as well.