• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Removing AI Magazine Spacer Plate

wnroscoe

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2006
NW Louisiana
I know to remove the spot welds in a Mill but is there a thread on this. I've used the search but cant seem to find it. Thanks.

Re: Removing AI Magazine Spacer Plate

Ive seen a few threads, but none of them had a step by step if thats what you want.

If you have an AI Magazine with the spacer plate removed post a pic of it please. My AI Mag is apart and headed to the mill and Tig Machine Tommorow.

What part do you want to see? the holes that were drilled?

May I ask why you want to go through the trouble? I sold my 10 round AICS mag and got a 10 round WSM AccurateMag from Triad.

I need to run my bullet out slightly so I have less jump. This is in a .260 Remington. I'm having to jump VLDs .042" when magazine loading.

I'm just curious if filling in the holes and blending with tig welding is standard.

I have seen the spot welds drilled out and the holes tig welded over. I had a buddy that was using an EDM to remove the plate without drilling any holes. I think that is how GA was doing them but you would have to confirm that with George.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need to run my bullet out slightly so I have less jump. This is in a .260 Remington. I'm having to jump VLDs .042" when magazine loading.

I'm just curious if filling in the holes and blending with tig welding is standard. </div></div>

some people have done it that way. the other way is to edm it like Randy said. But the easiest way is to buy a AccurateMag WSM magazine which is the same thing as the .308 mag, except without the front plate.

here is a link http://triadtactical.com/store/item/2ocap/Accessories/Accurate_Mag_10_round_WSM.html

Let me know how this turns out. It may influence my decision on how to chamber the rifle we talked about.

5 and 10 round AI mag with plate removed.
DSC03319.jpg

7WSM case with the 162 AMAXs loaded to 2.960. I think I could get another .010 into the magazine.
DSC03316.jpg

2 weld spots removed to take out the front plate.
DSC03300.jpg

Mods done, no sweat. Tiged up the top hole. The Mags from Triad are what I would recommend after doing this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mods done, no sweat. Tiged up the top hole. The Mags from Triad are what I would recommend after doing this. </div></div>

LOL, told ya. Glad it worked out for you though.

Just an FYI. The spacer plate keeps the loaded rounds in position in the magazine so they'll feed. Mag length is 2.880"ish or they wont feed up through the mag well cut out in the bottom of the 700 receiver. Ask me how I know
wink.gif

Also anyone seeking to have their own .260 Reamer ground, .060"free bore for AI magazines is the ticket unless your into jumping your bullets .040" to .060"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just an FYI. The spacer plate keeps the loaded rounds in position in the magazine so they'll feed. Mag length is 2.880"ish or they wont feed up through the mag well cut out in the bottom of the 700 receiver. Ask me how I know
wink.gif

Also anyone seeking to have their own .260 Reamer ground, .060"free bore for AI magazines is the ticket unless your into jumping your bullets .040" to .060" </div></div>

did you notch the bottom of the feed ramp in the receiver? i am about to do a tac30 in a 7wsm and am assuming i will have to notch the bottom of the feed ramp slightly to feed 2.94 oal rounds from a modified aics mag.

another question, is filling the spot weld holes even necessary or is it just cosmetic? i don't have a short action mag here to look at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just an FYI. The spacer plate keeps the loaded rounds in position in the magazine so they'll feed. Mag length is 2.880"ish or they wont feed up through the mag well cut out in the bottom of the 700 receiver. Ask me how I know
wink.gif

Also anyone seeking to have their own .260 Reamer ground, .060"free bore for AI magazines is the ticket unless your into jumping your bullets .040" to .060" </div></div>

did you notch the bottom of the feed ramp in the receiver? i am about to do a tac30 in a 7wsm and am assuming i will have to notch the bottom of the feed ramp slightly to feed 2.94 oal rounds from a modified aics mag.

another question, is filling the spot weld holes even necessary or is it just cosmetic? i don't have a short action mag here to look at. </div></div>

the bottom hole, not so much, the top hole is another story. if a round rides into the hole nose first, it will cause a jam.

No pics, but just drill out the welds with a 1/4" bit, knock out the plate, and weld up the holes.

I stick a piece of aluminum inside the mag so that I can fill in the hole w/o weld boogering down into the inside of the mag, also gives you a surface to let the weld pool up on, and since it's aluminum it won't stick.

Then I run a burly bit over the inside to smooth out any snags that the bullet tips may catch on.

Pretty easy process, and I used a mig welder, don't have a tig.

No need for a mill, I did mine with a drill press, and notched my action with the burly bit on a die grinder.

Redneck all the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you need I'll get pics for you.... </div></div>

if you have them, i'd like to see pictures of where you notched the receiver. i have an idea about what it will take but it sure wouldn't hurt to see how others have done it.

Disregard the shitty looking welds... I did this 2 days before I had to leave for the Cup, seems my welder was out of gas. I said fuck it and welded them w/o gas, hence the shitty pot holed welds.

DSC_0316-1.jpg

DSC_0318.jpg

The notch on the action.

DSC_0315-1.jpg

DSC_0314-1.jpg

Also, it goes without saying that after you weld up the holes you want to grind them down smooth... I used a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a 80 grit flap disc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Disregard the shitty looking welds... I did this 2 days before I had to leave for the Cup, seems my welder was out of gas. I said fuck it and welded them w/o gas, hence the shitty pot holed welds.</div></div>

aaaah, just like a shitty mechanic blames his tools
grin.gif

just kidding. thanks for posting the pictures. the action looks exactly like what i had in mind. i'll do the action in the mill and will probably use a copper block to back up the holes in the mag when i tig them closed.

Ewwwwwww. You have all the hi-tech toys... By all means, I wish I had a mill and a tig, if I did I'd have used them. For those that don't though, this is a back yard alternative.

It's really a simple process.

BTW, how did you know that all my tools were messed up???
grin.gif

I see in your profile that you're into rock crawling, I used to build rigs up in Birmingham...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> did you notch the bottom of the feed ramp in the receiver? i am about to do a tac30 in a 7wsm and am assuming i will have to notch the bottom of the feed ramp slightly to feed 2.94 oal rounds from a modified aics mag.

another question, is filling the spot weld holes even necessary or is it just cosmetic? i don't have a short action mag here to look at. </div></div>

I didn't notch the feed ramp but, that would work. The top hole will let a round sneek out causing a feeding issue.

The top hole not being filled will cause problems for sure. I found this out during a timed event at ASC. Have the new WSM's from Accurate been better than the last batch?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The top hole not being filled will cause problems for sure. I found this out during a timed event at ASC. Have the new WSM's from Accurate been better than the last batch? </div></div>

The finish sure has been improved! I had to open up the feed lips just a hair so the cartridge rides a bit higher than it was, it works very well now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just an FYI. The spacer plate keeps the loaded rounds in position in the magazine so they'll feed. Mag length is 2.880"ish or they wont feed up through the mag well cut out in the bottom of the 700 receiver. Ask me <span style="font-weight: bold">how I know </span>
wink.gif

</div></div>

How ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SP308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How ? </div></div>

Did it. Cut the mag well also so the bullet tips come up and inline with the feed ramp.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SP308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How ? </div></div>

Did it. Cut the mag well also so the bullet tips come up and inline with the feed ramp. </div></div>

Have a pic of the cut mag well?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SP308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How ? </div></div>

Did it. Cut the mag well also so the bullet tips come up and inline with the feed ramp. </div></div>

Have a pic of the cut mag well? </div></div>

DSC_0314-1.jpg

JRose, thanks, but I had already seen yours, I wanted to see how Will did his.