• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Removing brake

Rifletuner

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2007
Australia
I just bought a Tikka CTR that is fitted with a Badger brake with a washer between the brake and the barrel shoulder (no pinch screw on the brake). I had assumed it would be a relatively simple process to unscrew the brake, but that bitch is on tight. I haven't encountered this particular brake before. Is there any trick to getting these off?

I usually use a blow torch to heat it up a tad first or even a small propane torch. If it was rocksetted you might be in for a small fight without proper tools.How are you securing the barrel so you can torque on tme brake?

I was hoping I would be able to use wooden blocks with a relief for the barrel in a vice, then just use the flats on the brake to turn it off. But that was when I was thinking it would come free easily.

I usually use a blow torch to heat it up a tad first or even a small propane torch. If it was rocksetted you might be in for a small fight without proper tools.How are you securing the barrel so you can torque on tme brake?

Heat is your friend; these are usually installed with rockset, I would use a propane torch and get it pretty hot. Also, you should be using a barrel vise., Mechforce (mechforce-usa.com) makes a nice one but you can check Brownell's for others that may be less expensive. Brakes have a tendency to gall if they weren't installed properly, when you do get it off and go to install a new one put a little AeroShell on the threads. The next guy will thank you!

More than likely you will need a barrel vise if it was torqued down and some type of thread locking compound was used. You can find a way to joebob it in your garage but your chances of marring your barrel or action will go up.

Boiling water will losen rocksett in about 10-15 minutes and not overheat anything.

Reactions: Huskydriver
I've never had a problem busting loose a muzzle device secured with Rocksett, as mentioned it is used because of it's heat resistant properties. A good barrel vise and then apply some torque. Although, if it is not Rocksett but another form of permanent threadlocker (Red Loctite) then heat is your friend.