• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Removing branding on slide

jericho

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2009
ct
Is there a way to remove/cover branding engraved on a slide? Not something I would attempt,but would send it to a smith. I have no experience/knowledge about welding and I am guessing that would be involved in the process?

Re: Removing branding on slide

Not really needing it for anything I own currently, but was just curios if its possible at all.

I have removed the logo from a number of SS after market Lone Wolf slides and barrels.
Easy to do as it's only about .005 or so deep laser engraving.
These were all then re-finished in Cerakote.

If it's actually machined engraving then filling it would probably be required.
It could depend on the slide material, how deep the engraving is, where it's located, what sort of finish would be required, etc.

Would filling it with a hardening agent work best? It would seem if it were machined lettering that using a bondo type product would be by far easier than filing or any form of physical material removal. Say filling in the front slide serrations on a 1911.

I know marine tex is used for bedding and is said to be extremely hard after curing. Maybe filling in with some of that would be the easiest route.

Just some ideas.

- Brandon

ccgunworks is correct

Surface grinding is the proper and best method as long as the machine engraving isnt too deep.

Just did that with an FEG High Power 9mm. Perfect results.

I like using a stationary belt sander, myself. It makes it easier to manipulate the lines and avoid the serrations.

a steady hand and a verticle belt sander will work. I used to do this all the time to flatten the sides of slides...would piss the master GS off. For some reason he wanted it done by hand. That's just a pain in the as

if you use the belt sander, you'll need to be very careful as its extreamly easy to screw up...wedging it or knocking corners etc.

If you do this you'll want a water drip.

Really the biggest issue is depth of engraving. The othe issue is making both sides equal. If not you'll have the serrations that are unequal.