• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

removing Cosmoline from new rifle metal?

Solvent, toothbrush, effort. Wear gloves and do it outdoors. Back in the day we’d take The M14’s or of the stock and stick them in a 50 gal drum of gasoline and stir. Pretty sure this is not actually a good idea.

Use patience and love.

.....and a lot of patches, maybe some hoppes and acetone with q-tips for the nooks and crannies.

You and your rifle will know each other much better when done.

Rem oil seems to cut the stuff fairly well. Beyond that it's just brushes, and rags.

Reactions: p5200
I bought an 03 Springfield once that looked like someone took a grease gun and filled the bore from one end to the other…… took forever…. Lots of patches and solvent… my guess is the rifle was never shot once it was rebarreled. Bore looked brand new.

If it is actually cosmoline, heat will let it run. Boiling metal parts in water is standard in the vintage firearms world for removing cosmo.

If you know somebody with a cerakote or powder coat oven ask them if you can cook it for several hours. just make sure it drains into a metal bowl. Or if you live someplace hot let it bake in the sun. That's how I used to do my Nagants and Mausers when I was collecting them.

I used to stick garand stocks in the back of my car at work and let the warm up on a hot day. Metal took a good scrubbing with hoppes and a paper towel… Or soak the metal parts in a large tub with diesel fuel. Worked well

Search how to make "Ed's Red".

After you do a good scrubbing with mineral spirits use the Ed's
Warming the metal first does help the process, do the wood separately.

Any suggestions on how to remove the brown preservative from my new Savage 110 tactical rifle? Thanks! :)
acb.jpg

thumb_doi-smell-cosmoline-v-video-games-»-thread-385693840-51031776.png