• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

removing crimped primers - how to?

NativeCraft

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2006
Wilson, NC
I have a bunch of LC brass that I need to process. Will the decapping pin in a standard RCBS die be stout enough to remove the crimped primers or do I need to go at it another way? Any recommendations?

Re: removing crimped primers - how to?

I use a dedicated decapping die from RCBS or Redding and the primers do pop out. I've done it with standard dies in the past with very few problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a dedicated decapping die from RCBS or Redding and the primers do pop out. I've done it with standard dies in the past with very few problems. </div></div>

Ditto! Lee makes a pretty good one for little $$!

Terry

A little Kroil dabbed around the primer edge can ease the extraction. That stuff can penetrate danged near anything. In a pinch, Marvel Mystery Oil or a mechanic's penetrant product (CRC-56?). I would suggest a thorough degreasing afterward.

depriming can be done with a regular decapping pin, hat you have to do extra is remove the crimp once the primer is out. If you dont remove the crimp then you are gonna fuck up a lot of primers trying to shove one back in there.

I use the Dillon (Superswage?) crimp remover.

Be careful to adjust the throw to just get the job done, and no more. That sucker can distort cases amazingly if you get carried away, yet it's not all that visible from the outside.

Screw that up and this becomes one truly glaring example where weighing cases won't tell you the whole truth about case capacity.

Greg

I used a LEE hand punch and base for a lot of years. But I moved to the RCBS decapping die. Make sure you have a few extra decapping pins before starting a late night or weekend brass working session.

Like stated above, be sure to remove the crimp after you get the brass deprimed. I have used a swage die and also a chamfering tool. Both work. But the RCBS primer pocket swage tool will also tighten loose primer pocket after being shot with a hot loads.

Good luck.

I always use my regular Lee sizing die.

I love the pin design. If I get one that is too stubborn the decapping pin pops up in the collet. No broken pins with that design.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A little Kroil dabbed around the primer edge can ease the extraction. That stuff can penetrate danged near anything. In a pinch, Marvel Mystery Oil or a mechanic's penetrant product (CRC-56?). I would suggest a thorough degreasing afterward. </div></div>

A buddy of mine in SC forwarded this to me!

<span style="color: #FF0000">*Don't forget the April 2007 "Machinist's Workshop" magazine comparison
test.*
*They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with
the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a
"scientifically rusted" environment.*

*Penetrating oil ..... Average load*

None ..................... 516 pounds
WD-40 .................. 238 pounds
PB Blaster ............. 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ..... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ............ 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix....53 pounds

*The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission
fluid and acetone.*
*Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one
particular test. Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now
use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about
as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price. *
</span>

This mixture I have used on bolts and nuts on car parts and it is a winner!

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about
as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price. </div></div>
But Kroil smells so much better!
grin.gif

+1 on the lee de-capper die, I have an old rcbs press that it is always in. The only
way I think you could damage it is to run the ram up at mach3 on a berdan primed
case. Even then it might just slide straight up with no damage.

+1 on the Dillon Super Swage. I will never hand cut the crimps again. I was a little put off by the price but after I got mine set up and adjusted I forgot about the $100.

I am with Suasponte, the Lee universal decapper is about the best money I have spent. I have been using RCBS to remove crimp but if I win the lottery I think I am going to need a Dillon.

Thanks for the info, guys - I didn't realize Lee made a universal decapping die...I see that they do.

I've already got a primer pocket reamer that I intend to use on the drill press, so I'll just get the Lee decapping die rather than the Dillon Super Swage, etc..

I use the RCBS ones, I don't know about the lee, but I do break a pin now and then with crimped primers. I'd pick up a pack of spares when you get the die.

Make sure your pin is out just far enough to pop the primer and not any farther. Avoid pin flexing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hummer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am with Suasponte, the Lee universal decapper is about the best money I have spent. I have been using RCBS to remove crimp but if I win the lottery I think I am going to need a Dillon. </div></div>

Welcome aboard the Hide Hummer!

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always use my regular Lee sizing die.

I love the pin design. If I get one that is too stubborn the decapping pin pops up in the collet. No broken pins with that design. </div></div>

I agree, I have decapped literally thousands of crimped primers with my regular old Lee standard sizing die and have NEVER broken a pin.

The Lee decapping die is much better than the RCBS decapping die.
Different brass have different flash hole diameters. Use the right decaping pin diameter for the job.
The pin should hit the hole. The decapping pin hitting the case web will make problems.
You can buy just the decapping stem from Lee and put it in a bullet puller collet die.

The Dillion crimp remover is much better than the RCBS crimp remover.

Never had any problems with standard sizing dies and crimped primers.

For removal of the crimp, the RCBS chamfer tool can be chucked in a drill. Zip the primer pocket for a second and the crimp is gone. Cheaper and faster than most.

+1 on the Lee universal decapping die and the Dillon Superswage. When processing a lot of GI brass for High Power the $100 spent on the Dillon is just like giving yourself a tip.

AG in NC

Cool thing about brass with crimped primers is, there is no question about the truthfulness of those selling them as "once fired"!

I resize/deprime as I do any brass, and then it's off to Dillon-Ville for swaging. I can't believe I didn't buy this thing sooner!

I have 1500 LC 5.56 brass to resize/swage. If I did it all at once, I'm guessing it would be about 4-6 hours work (including clean up of the lube). Imagine doing all that reaming with the RCBS case prep machine? The Dllon, when set up properly, will give you the same primer aperture everytime. No guesswork as when reaming.

Swaging is the preferred method, hand cutting primers is a bit imprecise and can result in non-uniform and overly big primer pockets.

I use a Lee universal decapper and the RCBS swager. This worked real good until my Lee deacapper broke on me last night. Luckily it's under waranty but a new pin is only 2 bucks. I think I'll get a few just in case.

The Lee decapper is about the best thing going in my opinion. For $10 how can you go wrong? I've had nothing but problems with Redding decapping pins.

Lee or RCBS Universal decapping die and then use a Dillon Super Swager. Good thing is you only swage out the crimp once. Good luck.