• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Removing factory muzzle brake

patsim

Son of Liberty
Minuteman
May 2, 2010
Southern Indiana
My search came up MT.

I've got an Armalite marked M4c in 5.56 that I bought in 1994, I believe. I would like to remove the factory installed muzzle brake if possible--read: practical and legal. I'm not sure whether it is pre-ban or if that even matters with the expiration of the AWB. I'm in Indiana if it makes a difference. Any advice? Thanks...

Re: Removing factory muzzle brake

How long is the barrel, with and without the muzzle brake included? If it is shorter than 16" without the brake, the brake is/should be permanently attached. This was done by either welding or silver soldering. If it is 16" or longer without the brake, it is likely that it is just torqued on, which may take some effort to remove. There could be a chance that it could be permanently attached even still, but more unlikely. They have also pinned brakes in conjunction with silver solder.

Dave

also, if it is less than 16" barrel without the brake, it would be illegal to take the brake off (or make it a non-permanent attached brake) without an SBR stamp.

Thanks Dave. I don't have the rifle with me, but I'll check this evening. I would like to replace the brake with a flash hider. I really just want to get rid of some of the BLAST!

If I post a picture could someone discern how it's attached?

it will be difficult to tell on the silver solder, a pin or tac weld would be spottable, but you should be able to see that as well. The measurement will tell you a lot too.

A call to armalite might tell you what method they did use if it is shorter than 16" too.

DD