• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Removing FTF Primer

Sartori42

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2018
I had a couple Failure To Fire incidents with my Remington 7 1/2 primers last weekend. One of them went off when I ran it thru the rifle a second time. The other round would not go off. I ran it thru three times. I have now pulled the bullet and removed the powder. Is there a safe way to remove the primer so I can reuse the brass? I appreciate any suggestions.

You can use any sort of deprimer you want, be it a sizing dies decapping/expanding rod or a universal decapper die or an independent decapping rod.

Just dont smack it with velocity and youll be perfectly fine.

Reactions: mtrmn and Im2bent
Yep, I have re-moved live primers, and re-used them. I used a decapping die because i had it. If not I would have probably used a Lee collet die if I had it. After that a neck die if I had it. Last I would lube them us a FL die. You might get away with running unlubbed, sized brass into the die, or it might stick.

My universal decapping die has some clearance around the case. Would probably vent better, just in case.
I've had some primers that seated way to easy, decapped and reused for practice rounds.