• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Removing HEAVY copper fouling from muzzle brakes?

Wheres-Waldo

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2008
Unknown
Looking for advice on getting muzzle brakes that have been neglected back to a clean state before starting them out on a regular cleaning cycle.

Please spare me the “I don’t clean my muzzle brake/crown”, good for you, I do.

How can I clean a copper mountain off of SS /nitrided brakes without killing the nitride or SS?

Have tried vinegar & hydrogen peroxide, SS tumbling, CLR, ultrasonic cleaning.

image.jpg

Reactions: Schitznpants
Soak it in Bore Tech C4 or similar copper remover. Keep it wet for a while then scrub it out with a brush and a pick.

Copper solvent and any decent scraping tool. You indicated that you clean your brake and that’s a good thing. I’m thinking you should probably clean your brake more often. Like others have said, I’ve never seen that much copper on one before.

Reactions: Average guy
Soak it in Bore Tech C4 or similar copper remover. Keep it wet for a while then scrub it out with a brush and a pick.
Yep, good stuff and you can leave it in there without damage to the steel

Been sitting in some Hoppes 9 for a few hours. This will take a while.... I don’t know if I can handle the wife complaining about the smell all day.

Ha, I hear ya. My wife feels the same way about the smell. Ammonia removes copper, won't harm stainless steel if you don't let it dry on it. I'd submerge it in ammonia. Not going to hurt anything. Drop it in a water bath to wash off the ammonia. Electrolysis in sodium carbonate would probably work to.

I've used kroil to strip out ss barrels, works very well. Never used it for your situation but I don't see why it would not work.

I don't know how far you went with CLR. I use the CLR in the grey bottle on my brakes and just let it soak in a small container of it.

Reactions: Smittiac
They spent 6-8 hours in CLR... that got 100% of the carbon off but didn’t touch the copper at all.

It has been in Hoppes for 6 hours or more and the big copper doughnut hasn’t budged.

I’ve scrubbed the black off of it that at this point I might as well sand blast it and blue it.

I have always used Sweets 7.62 to remove copper fouling. Should work on your brake as well. No need to soak the whole brake, just use a q tip saturated with it and rub down the copper, and then use a nylon brush to scrub it down. Probably need to do this a few times. I wouldn't leave the sweets on it for more than 2 hours at a time.

I too have never noticed any copper fouling on my brakes, would you mind sharing what bullets and load you are shooting?

Yep, good stuff and you can leave it in there without damage to the steel
Bore Tech C4 should work - it's good stuff.

And another vote for Bore Tech C4.

"Bore Tech Cu+2 Copper Remover™ uses a revolutionary and patented chemical technology that rapidly removes copper fouling and is 100% barrel safe, odor free and biodegradable. Cu+2 Copper Remover’s cutting edge formulation is ammonia free and removes heavy copper fouling faster than the competition without the safety hazards, harmful toxicity, and offensive odors found in petro-ammonia based solvents. "

This was a brake I bought used. Ironically, I wanted to move away from a brake with angled ports because I felt that my APA G2 LB was an ass pain to clean and the Impact brake has nice flat/open ports for cleaning. My APA never built up copper though. 🤷‍♂️

I mounted and shot this one anyway, and decided to go back to my APA.

I don’t know what the previous owner shot through it. Not a big deal though. It was used and no one would have known it had a mountain of copper in it until they did a heavy cleaning on it.