• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Removing Krylon paint from fiberglass stock

PBRACEGUNS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2009
Central Alabama
Anyone have any suggestions for the easiest/fastest way to remove a Krylon paint job from a Glass stock? I don't have a bead blaster to use, so what chemical solvent will strip it without damage to the stock? Thanks in advance.

Re: Removing Krylon paint from fiberglass stock

Do not use any stripper containing acetone or MEK as these will soften and disolve epoxy resin. Use a little lacquer thinner, let it soak for 5 minutes or so and scrub with a coarse natural fiber bristle brush.

Lacquer thinner. If you buy 'gun cleaner' from your local auto parts store, it's cheaper than refined thinner. By 'gun cleaner' I mean paint gun cleaner -- less refined thinner.

BTW, if all you want to do is repaint, just use a sealer and go over the top of whatever is already there.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Thanks guys. Hadn't thought about thinner got a 5 gallon jug in the shop. I knew acetone was a no-no. No blast cabonet onsite . Not a repaint. Just getting a used stock back to the original black finish.

I have tried them all, and settled on:

Citristrip Gel
It works better than acetone and brake cleaner, but it was designed to be used indoors without all the fumes.

Just paint it on with a paint brush, let it sit for 15 minutes, and wipe the paint off with a rag.

Will Certistrip or gun cleaner cause a problem with my recoil pad? Mask it and control the application? Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: abbott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will Certistrip or gun cleaner cause a problem with my recoil pad? Mask it and control the application? Thanks! </div></div>

I've never had a problem with it hurting anything I have put it on. I repaint a couple of my ARs, bolt gun and a shotgun for different seasons of predator hunting, so i use it quite often.

Citristrip.

Citristrip

Be sure to get the gel. It is the consistency of pudding, and works the best because it will sit on the finish and not move. I buy it at Home Depot and Lowe's. Yes, you really can use it indoors without the wife nagging. hahah!

Citristrip did not work so well on my HS precision stock ( ate up the texturing and damaged the stock a little bit ), it may be that I left it on too long. It also ate up my Mag Pul ar grip. Definately test it on a small spot first, and do not leave it on long. I would reccomend the blast cabinet with the proper media ( walnut shell maybe?).