• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Removing Krylon tips?

JonLSU

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2007
Corpus Christi, TX
I have a 700p that I krylon'd the barrel with about 3 coats of OD green and a coat of krylon matte clear. What's the best way to remove the krylon? Anyone have any special tips to get it off. I've heard use non cholor. brake cleaner. I've been spraying it on the barrel and I can see it coming off on the rag but at this rate, I'll need about 10 cans of brake cleaner.

What should I used to take the paint off? rag, green scrub pad??

Re: Removing Krylon tips?

Lacquer Thinner, gloves, a rag and lots of ventilation.

The LT will take it right off with a little rubbing or soak the rag good, wrap an area with it, wait 5 minutes and then take another wet rag and wipe the area you just soaked.

also you could go to walmart and get this stuff called Stripper by Klean Strip. I promise that the paint will drip off of whatever you have. But make sure you get some chemical resistant gloves. I works like a charm

I use acetone. I usually have a gallon can of it to degrease parts and it works well. Jason suggested wrapping with rags. I have never done that, but it sounds like a good idea.

If you have some texturing on the stock, get a toothbrush and give that area a bit of extra attention.

Super Clean degreaser (Purple gallon jug, similar to an antifreeze jug), a plastic flower box. Check your hardware store or the Wallyworld automotive dept. Fill the flower box with the Super clean, then immerse the object to be stripped. This stuff will take the krylon off overnight, just wipe it off with a coarse cloth. The Super Clean can be saved and re-used, maybe you might want to strain it through some cloth to remove the paint clots. Do <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> use this stuff on aluminum, it gets weird.

I just used a soft cloth dampened with white spirit.

The Krylon bubbled up in around two or three minutes and could be wiped off.

I washed the residue off with dish soap in plenty of hot water, air dried the stock sides and them sprayed them down with degreaser.

Not sure this'd be a good way to go with fibreglass though - may damage the gelcoat?

Krylon was on my AI skins so I could just remove them from the stock which made life easy.

Spray on paint stripper works great!! I used about 3 cans to strip the exterior of my safe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gonethinking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do all these paint strippers affect scope components? </div></div>

i can speak for acetone,

obviously if you have rubber armoured stuff, it's going to get f'ed up a little. want to stay clear of (might as well mask off) your scope lenses, graduation marks on knobs, etc.

doesn't effect stocks too much as long as yo dont let the stocks soak in it. fiber optic stuff may get a little warped, and scope caps and such blister a bit when too much is applied.

a little of that stuff goes a long way. i use it sparingly on a rag.

i dont think that the acetone is going to hurt the lenses on any of your optics. USO recommends cleaning their lenses with acetone

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i dont think that the acetone is going to hurt the lenses on any of your optics. USO recommends cleaning their lenses with acetone </div></div>

I am not sure of the effects of acetone on glass - please pm doc76251 on the USO recommendations. I personally protect the glass extra, extra well when removing paint. I had good luck with 100% denatured alcohol & lots of elbow grease when acetone failed.

Thanks for the link; I had some Krylon that was absolutely acetone resistant - as Boltipper can attest. I tried to pm doc but his box his full about the acetone & optics issue.

Acetone is good for USO, but I wouldn't use that as a rule of thumb for scopes, it would depend on the coatings used.....

+1

If you've got Krylon on lenses be very careful -should have masked them before spraying!
blush.gif

"RTFM!" from your scope manufacturer before attempting.
laugh.gif

Scratch the lenses or damage the coatings and you'll be more than a little miffed.
mad.gif

Only way I clean my lenses (which are not USO) is with specific lens cleaner/tissues/brushes from the photographic store.

I have used brake cleaner before and it works good with some finishes.

However Methyl Ethel Ketone MEK works great for alot of different paints with less work.

Just make sure to not leave on too long because it can damage the underlying finish.

+1 on the superclean. I have never soaked abything overnight though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i dont think that the acetone is going to hurt the lenses on any of your optics. USO recommends cleaning their lenses with acetone</div></div>

i'd kinda nervous about getting acetone "splatter" on the coating of the lense. i would have to believe that whatever is used to remove old krylon or loosen ANY type of paint or finish with the optic still on (or the optic has the finish on it itself) you must be extremely care not to get any chemicals on the glass, due to the coating on the glass getting contaminated or stained.

same goes for the turret markings, adj objective markings, power ring markings, etc.

When I worked for Yardney-Razdow Laboratories, overseeing precision optics contracting production for NASA, Sandia Labs, US Bureau of Standards, etc., the application of optical coatings was performed via vacuum vapor deposition. Solvents were not employed, except as a cleaning agent. My responsibility was to take the objects through both inhouse and out of house fabrication, test, calibrate, and issue reports on optical properties, and to prepare and package completed products for shipment to the end user. We used Acetone for our cleaning of optics.

Greg

I kryloned a Leupold with an adj. obj. and when I stripped the paint it destroyed the gaskets in the moving parts. The black gaskets crumbled as I worked the moving parts back and forth. Any tips on this in the future, oh and do you know if Leupold can fix the scope?

paint stripper heavy duty. use a small brush to apply. wear gloves. well ventilated. paper towels or napkins to remove. Go slow. It will eat the krylon right off (bubble up) vs scrubbing the hell out of it with solvents like acetone or mek. Test it on a hidden area first in case it takes the original finish off (unlikely) You don't need a lot.

I have a Magpul PRS painted with krylon. What should i use to get the paint off and not damage the stock?

My PSS stock did not turn out to my liking so to Ace Hardware I went. I told the sales rep I needed to remove 3 coats of Krylon from a fiberglass/kevlar reinforced rifle stock and I needed a product that wouldn't damage the stock but remove the paint without too much effort. I was suprised...the guy didn't bat an eyelash, he walked over to a shelf and grabbed a 16oz. can of "Goof Off" Graffiti Remover. I looked through the normal disclaimers and found out it was safe for fiberglass and pretty much everything else. Okay, I'm game I said..he rings me up for $13 bucks and change!! Holy Shit say I...at which time I' m rewarded with a look of disdain from grandma in isle 5. Remembering that I'm livin on a cop's salary but not wanting to look like a cheap ass, I fork over the plastic. Long story longer....the stuff works....very well....and I have a buzz.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">paint stripper heavy duty. use a small brush to apply. wear gloves. well ventilated. paper towels or napkins to remove. Go slow. It will eat the krylon right off (bubble up) vs scrubbing the hell out of it with solvents like acetone or mek. Test it on a hidden area first in case it takes the original finish off (unlikely) You don't need a lot. </div></div>

+1

This is the way to go-- I used Citristrip... the orange stuff. Simply goop it on, let sit for a few minutes and scrub off the paint with a brush or scouring pad.

I stripped the desert tan from my SPR:

P1000744a.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

Then repainted it black.

2.jpg

8.jpg

Baked the upper and lower:

7.jpg

The Magpul plastic got a whitish discoloration after applying the paint stripper, so a light coat of flat matte black spraypaint had it looking like new again.

6.jpg

All together:

cropped.jpg

10.jpg

Any ideas for removing paint from AICS skins without damaging the skins? Maybe the citristrip like above? Thanks.

Joe

I just sent an email to Cerakote to ask their input, just waiting for an answer.
I am considering using either spray snow or cheap flat white spray paint to snow white my AR when the winter wonderland rolls into town. Trouble is, I don't want to dick up my perfectly good cerakote job trying to take it off in the spring.
I will be back asap with their 2 cents

<span style="font-style: italic">~UPDATE FROM NIC INDUSTRIES~</span>
You should be able to take acetone to it, to remove rattle can paint on top of the cerakote. <span style="text-decoration: underline">Acetone will not hurt the cerakote</span>.
smile.gif

Brandon Grady
NIC Industries, Inc.
7050 Sixth Street
White City, OR 97503

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JerkeeJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any ideas for removing paint from AICS skins without damaging the skins? Maybe the citristrip like above? Thanks.

Joe </div></div>

I've done that too. Citristrip.

Before:
AICS6.jpg

AICS1.jpg

After:

L1040010.jpg

L1040008.jpg

L1040012.jpg

L1030998.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice totourial with pictures c_bass. </div></div>

thanks but i didnt have any pics or tutorials
smile.gif

i believe it was another fine fellow that provided all the eye candy. I just said that NIC Industries got back to me about acetone use on a gun that has been sprayed with Cerakote. They say A - OK

Best way to get krylon off... don't spray it on.

Acetone has always worked just fine with the application of a little elbow grease and a pile of rags. I have used it on rifles, McMillan stocks, and Leupold and NF scopes with NO problems whatsoever. Use clean rags, qtips and a set of toothbrushes to help. Wipe it on and let it sit for a couple of secs and then wipe it off. Be well ventilated

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gonethinking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CitriStrip is what I used on my Leupold and screwed up the gaskets. How did you handle the NightForce M.45? </div></div>

I've used citristrip on both of my NF NXSs (stripped one twice) and they look brand new. No problems with anything!

Any problems with using citristrip on barreled actions? Got one I painted with Krylon Khaki and Matte clear that I need to remove. Will these chemicals (including the chamber and bore) harm the metal in any way? I know acetone won't since I've used it, but just wondering about stuff like CitriStrip.

thanks.

im sure someone may have said it. but i got some stuff to clean a YHM riser. its called kutzit. bubbled it right off. didnt bother the coating on the riser. guys say brake cleaner, but this stuff is thick and sticks. i applied it with a few qtips to get it in the rails teeth and let it sit, then wiped it off

So is this a good reason NOT to paint my rifle?
I figured since I freed up m y garage I might paint my rifle.

How many of you regret painting your rifles?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any problems with using citristrip on barreled actions? Got one I painted with Krylon Khaki and Matte clear that I need to remove. Will these chemicals (including the chamber and bore) harm the metal in any way? I know acetone won't since I've used it, but just wondering about stuff like CitriStrip.

thanks. </div></div>

I've had no problems with CitriStrip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JerkeeJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any ideas for removing paint from AICS skins without damaging the skins? Maybe the citristrip like above? Thanks.

Joe </div></div>

I've done that too. Citristrip.

Before:
AICS6.jpg

AICS1.jpg

After:

L1040010.jpg

L1040008.jpg

L1040012.jpg

L1030998.jpg

</div></div>

dude that bottom shot is just sexy, drop dead sexy.