• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing removing pillars

BCJR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2006
S.E. AK.
got a stock with off center pillars , contoured on the top to match contour of receiver. guess ill have to drill them out? any tricks? looks like a pretty stout compound holding them in place. somebody told me to freeze the stock and pound em out. its a mcmillan and so its worth saving.

Re: removing pillars

They're going to be in there, regardless of composite used, but especially with Bisonite. You can always resort to drilling, so try freezing overnight and then tapping out first. They'll drill out easier if they are aluminum.

Freezing might allow the epoxy to fracture and release the pillars, but I would sure be careful and drive them out towards the action side, so they dont take part of the shell with them around the floorplate. Drilling would work also (probably a safer bet), just let the bit follow the center. Start with small bits and step up drill sizes until you get rid of the pilar.

Jerry

Drill them out with progressively larger bits. Don’t freeze the stock and hammer them out. As your drilling them out they'll get hot and the bedding should release on its own.

I just had this problem yesterday and used a 9/16" end mill in the mill. If you have this available, locate the center of each piller and plunge them out with the mill. This will cut a nice clean hole and prep for the new pillars at the same time. Otherwise, the method Roscoe suggested will be the way to go....

Freezing and hammering....BAD....
grin.gif

yeah I figured pounding+guns=bad.They look to be aluminum so they should drill easy. I will prey and drill cause I dont have a mill.Probably drill toward action side? Thanks to all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just had this problem yesterday and used a 9/16" end mill in the mill. If you have this available, locate the center of each piller and plunge them out with the mill. This will cut a nice clean hole and prep for the new pillars at the same time. Otherwise, the method Roscoe suggested will be the way to go....

Freezing and hammering....BAD....
grin.gif
</div></div>

+1 on the EM

Some compounds will release very easy with heat. Touch the pillar with a soldiering iron, especially aluminum, this will transfer the heat to the pillar and depending on the compound used to glue the pillars it will make it soft and you can push the pillar out.

If that don't work I use the mill.
grin.gif

So the contoured tops don't mate with the receiver?
You could find a socket or bar that you could wrap and sand the contour inline with the receiver and skim bed.
That'd be what I'd try if it were on my nickel. On your nickel I'd say box it all up and send to Randy and have them milled out and pillars installed correctly!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some compounds will release very easy with heat. Touch the pillar with a soldiering iron, especially aluminum, this will transfer the heat to the pillar and depending on the compound used to glue the pillars it will make it soft and you can push the pillar out.

If that don't work I use the mill.
grin.gif
</div></div>

I knew somebody would have a trick up their sleeve. Randy of course.Sobrbiker..thought the same thing ..i put my wifes marking paint(Nail polish) on the pillar and filed..got it but its eating at me .. It wasnt me that installed em but the wifes job was downsiZed and the piggybank is in lock down right now or i would send it off as i am no craftsman and believe professionals are worth everypenny because of shit like this.

If the pillars have reliefs cut in them they can't be pounded out because the compound would still be in the reliefs. Drill/mill them out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B y r o n</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the pillars have reliefs cut in them they can't be pounded out because the compound would still be in the reliefs. Drill/mill them out. </div></div>

You couldn't pound them out even if the pillar had no relief cuts in them, not without damaging the stock that is. Heating the pillar will soften some compounds and the pillar will push out, relief cuts or not.

Like Randy said, use a little heat and they will come right out. I've done it and works fast!

And if you are going to rebed with new pillars, you'll wind up having to oversize the relief holes for the new pillars to that they can be installed correctly on center, then fill the vacant space with Devcon or other tough stuff.

got em out had to drill. wnroscoe was right they spun as the bedding compound heated up but still had to drill. dont think there was enough relieving done when these were installed. there sure isnt much space on the rear one and prey ill never have to go through that again was kinda nerve racking. was surprised to see the voids inside the stock (mcmillan)..suppose it doesnt effect much as they know more about stock making than me! Hopefully installing the new ones will go well. Thanks to everyone for the advise.