• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing removing rattle can paint

Night Eagle

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2012
Texas
sorry I know this has been discussed before but I cant make the search function work...im trying to remove rattle can paint from a scope. please advise best product and best way to use it.

thanks in advance
night eagle

Paint stripper works (duh!). Acetone works. Brake fluid works, but I'd use it sparingly (some rubber o-rings may not like it). And Castrol GTX degreaser - as well as similar caustic "biodegradable" cleaning products - will remove most enamel paints (this is particularly helpful on plastics, where something like acetone would not be safe).

The best way to use any of these is by applying a small amount to a rag, and then wiping off the paint. Have a lot of rags (or thick paper towels) handy. Wear gloves, and do this in a well-ventilated area. Keep the gooey paint rags away from the lenses; in fact, a bit of painter's tape over both lenses is a good idea.

Im assuming the paint used to mark the turrets is more durable than Krylon and should hold up better during stripping?

Aircraft Stripper!!!!!! Save yourself the trouble of trying a bunch of different products.

Drive to WalMart

Purchase one can Citri-strip and one six-pack of your preferred beverage

Apply Citristrip as directed

Consume beverages

Remove citristrip and paint with water

Thank me later :)

A $3 battery-powered toothbrush from Wal-Mart works very well for stubborn spots (in conjunction with an appropriate chemical).

tape off lenses(not tape ON lenses), douche with citristrip gel, let sit 10-15 minutes, wipe off with wet rag, rub one out to your simply awsome easy masterpiece

Im assuming the paint used to mark the turrets is more durable than Krylon and should hold up better during stripping?

Quality scopes tend to have etched or mechanically-engraved markings.