• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Removing smoke smell from firearms

wirehand

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2008
Nunya, USA
Ok, I voluntered to clean up a friends rifle that was in his house when it burnt down. The rifle is unaffected, barring the smoke smell.

I have I.G.'d the whole thing, but the smell of smoke persists.
Break free is a No Go.

Ultimatally used Hoppes figuring that is the strongest thing I care to use on a rifle, also a No Go for the smell.

The Ole Savage 99a looks good, just still has the smell, even on the semi stripped barreled reciever.

Any ideas Please?

Re: Removing smoke smell from firearms

Smoke is one of the hardest things to get out of anything. You may want to try some acetone as long as you don't get it on anything plastic. it will also soften up your finish on wood. You may just try to set it somewhere that it can "gas" for a length of time. Like a month or two. Sorry would like to be more help but that is all I got.

slip 2000 carbon killer will remove it. And leave a pleasant smell in it's stead.

Some logical suggestions so far.

I appreciate the feed back.

The out gassing thing hasn't seemed to work as it has been in a garage for 10yrs., although it was probably worse in the beginning.

I may use the Febreeze and Slip 2000 CK, but am a little leary of using water based products as there is so many nooks and crannies in the action.

The possible effectivness of using activated charcoal to cover the rifle and maybe using a vacuum sealing bag is also something doable.

Ozone generator?

Sitting it in direct sunlight for a few hours may help.

I'd try mixing up some baking soda and water into a thick consistancy and coat the stock with it inside and out, then let it sit. Baking soda can sometimes draw smells out of stuff. When it drys hard, buff it off and see if it helped any.

i do not believe that the metal itself can hold the smell of smoke. it must be from the years of oil crud built up internally. soak the metal in a good degreaser and scub it to the metal. the smell should be gone. now the wood. check with one of the disaster restoration companies. they have an awesome "bag of tricks" to get smoke smell out of complete buildings, stock should be easy.

You will need to rent an ozone machine from a local rental yard and let the gun sit in a sealed area for a while. The wood will have to be sanded down and sealed after to get the smell down. I have worked on lots of guns that have gone through fires and this is the only way to get the smell off.

Though I have never mitigated smoke exposed/damaged firearms, I have worked with switch gear, electric panels, and power rooms on vessels. Metal (steel in this case) does not retain "smoke smell", but any and all spaces in and around cracks and gaps can. It has to be completely disassembled to the last screw and throughly cleaned.

The stock is another story. Wood is porous and will absorb the acidic fumes, as in smoke. The stock and ozone machine in a closed chamber sounds like the best bet, but no guarantee.

Kevin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will need to rent an ozone machine from a local rental yard and let the gun sit in a sealed area for a while. The wood will have to be sanded down and sealed after to get the smell down. I have worked on lots of guns that have gone through fires and this is the only way to get the smell off. </div></div>

+1. This has been my experience, too ( had a catastrophic house fire 1 1/2 years ago and had to re-do a bunch of guns ).
frown.gif

Friend is trying to figure out how to get the smoke smell out of his everything now after Colorado. This is probably going to get a lot more hits in the next few weeks.