• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Removing stubborn Marine Tex from action?

RmeJu

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2019
I just pulled my action out of my first bedding job. There was a little bit of Marine Tex stuck to the action, most of which I was able to get rid of with a plastic razor blade, or my fingernail.

However, there are a few areas where the Marine Tex is actually too thin to pry off, and i don't want to use a metal blade and scratch up the action.

Are there solvents or other tricks to get these last little bits of the action without scratching it up?

Thanks!

If it's thin, you could try applying some heat to the action followed by a rubber mallet (with or without a plastic punch). Might just be enough to cause the bedding to break away without you taking a metal tool to it.

What did you use as a release agent?

Reactions: 6brshooter
If it's thin, you could try applying some heat to the action followed by a rubber mallet (with or without a plastic punch). Might just be enough to cause the bedding to break away without you taking a metal tool to it.

What did you use as a release agent?

I used McLube 1700. The leftover epoxy is almost like a very thin sheen. I was almost wondering if using a soft wire wheel in a dremel might take it off, but I was afraid to try, and then thought there might be a solvent out there that might work.

propane torch and a soft wire brush. Once soft a Popsicle stick sanded to a sharp chisel edge works as well.

Thanks! Just curious, how "soft" are we talking? Is there a spec on ther brush I should be looking for?

Just remember that a piece of grit stuck in a bronze brush or scrub pad, or too much pressure on steel wool will still scratch up the action.
You might have some luck with acetone or paint thinner/mineral spirits. Just don’t use it in combination with the torch ?

Marine tex is fairly impreviose to chemicals. Any that would take it off would not be good to finish imho.

Carefully applied heat and a non metalic scraper would be best bet to not desroy finish you have.

Have used it on fiberglass boat hulls still good after 30 years. Have used it on aluminum hulls, good for 35 years last I saw that boat.

Used .gov equivalent and heat resistant to about 350-400 I think, been a while.

Gas, oil, battery acid, solvents, weather and hard use had no effect.

You could just get over it and leave it on if not hurting anything.

Will probably outlast you and the action if left.

I just pulled my action out of my first bedding job. There was a little bit of Marine Tex stuck to the action, most of which I was able to get rid of with a plastic razor blade, or my fingernail.

However, there are a few areas where the Marine Tex is actually too thin to pry off, and i don't want to use a metal blade and scratch up the action.

Are there solvents or other tricks to get these last little bits of the action without scratching it up?

Thanks!

Try inverting canned air like you clean keyboards with.
This can super freeze isolated spots like your stuck material. Depending on the surface of the metal it is stuck to, this can help the epoxy flake off easier.

Never do this around your optic/glass. The thermal shock will shatter very expensive lens.

./

Reactions: Robert Gradous
Heat gun and plastic scraper or sharpened popsicle. 0000 steel wool will not hurt finish, unless its weak blueing. You can use 0000 steel wool to clean up chrome or glass that got some overspray. Also works great to remove carbon on brass nks.

Reactions: DJL2
Heat gun and plastic scraper or sharpened popsicle. 0000 steel wool will not hurt finish, unless its weak blueing. You can use 0000 steel wool to clean up chrome or glass that got some overspray. Also works great to remove carbon on brass nks.

Gotcha. FYI, there's no coating, it's just stainless. Presumably, that doesn't change your answer.

If its brushed stainless, 0000 might brighten it. If it's like rem700 stainless finish or polished like a tl3, it wont hurt. I would try heat and plastic or wood scraper first.

Thanks!

As bizarre as this sounds, grab a ball-peen hammer and just lightly tap on the lump of bedding stuck to it. It'll smash and break the bond. From there it's easy, it'll flake right off.

After, hot, soapy water.

20+ years and this is all I've ever done.

If you are trying to brush it off you want a carding wheel.

I'd listen to LRI though. Few have more experience.

If you are trying to brush it off you want a carding wheel.

I'd listen to LRI though. Few have more experience.

While I agree Mr Dixon knows his stuff and I enjoy shooting rifles made by him (2), the other two well-respected smiths who chimed in aren't exactly wet behind the ears and have built a couple rifles.....

Plastic razors are available to trial for the squeamish; i use them pretty often.
IMG_4988.jpg

Thanks for all the info guys! I actually tried the 0000 steel wool last night, which (apart from the mess) worked like a charm for 99% of the leftovers. Bronze wire brush at slow speed got the rest. No marks.

Reactions: Snuby642
use Zip Strip gel paint and finish remover you can get it at just about any hardware store. Zip Strip will break down the epoxy and it will wipe right off with a paper towel.