• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Removing Stubborn Spots from Objective

elmuzzlebreak

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2018
Looking for some input on this NF ATACR. Cleaned per manual and keep seeing these white specs on the lens that will not wipe off. Any optic savvy people know what I am looking at? Depending on the angle this seems to be all over the objective lens.

IMG_1721.jpeg
IMG_1720.jpeg

Hmmm, I use the same stuff. What could've gotten on the lens? carbon and oil blow back?

The only thing I can think to do is get some new clean acetone and some q-tips and go at it with that. The acetone isn't going to damage the lens coatings, it's used industry wide for lens cleaning so you'll be ok. Dip the q-tip in the acetone, shake out any excess and then use slight pressure with circular motions starting at the center of the lens going out. Once the q-tip leaves the lens, use a fresh one, never double dip.

Hmmm, I use the same stuff. What could've gotten on the lens? carbon and oil blow back?

The only thing I can think to do is get some new clean acetone and some q-tips and go at it with that. The acetone isn't going to damage the lens coatings, it's used industry wide for lens cleaning so you'll be ok. Dip the q-tip in the acetone, shake out any excess and then use slight pressure with circular motions starting at the center of the lens going out. Once the q-tip leaves the lens, use a fresh one, never double dip.
That's what I was thinking. I know the only time the scope got super wet was during a downpour. I did have some water get on my lens and then condense but that was blown off with a pocket blower and dabbed with a microfiber.

Do you go back over the lens with a clean dry q tip after the acetone one?

I would try this way first. If this does not work you may want to replace the distilled water with a cleaning solution.

Thanks Tono. That method is pretty much what I did but with the NF cleaning kit solutions and cloth.

Reactions: Tono
That's what I was thinking. I know the only time the scope got super wet was during a downpour. I did have some water get on my lens and then condense but that was blown off with a pocket blower and dabbed with a microfiber.

Do you go back over the lens with a clean dry q tip after the acetone one?

I'd stay away from acetone unless you are SUPER careful not to get it on any of the seals around the lens and understand the risks. It doesn't play nice with most plastics and rubbers.

Edit: Since I've never used acetone on lenses, I can't speak to whether it is safe for any lens coatings.

Last edited:
Reactions: NateSavannah
I'd stay away from acetone unless you are SUPER careful not to get it on any of the seals around the lens and understand the risks. It doesn't play nice with most plastics and rubbers.

Edit: Since I've never used acetone on lenses, I can't speak to whether it is safe for any lens coatings.

facepalm-head.jpg

I've used aetone to clean scope lenses and it has been used in the optics industry for ages to clean scope lenses. US Optics, Premier Reticles, and a host of others used acetone to clean glass. It's not like acetone is an acid that's going to melt the lens. You don't want it to puddle and collect sure, that's why you shake the q tip to get rid of excess. Once you get rid of the excess, the chances of any acetone making it to any seal before it evaporates is slim to none.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baron23
View attachment 7412104

I've used aetone to clean scope lenses and it has been used in the optics industry for ages to clean scope lenses. US Optics, Premier Reticles, and a host of others used acetone to clean glass. It's not like acetone is an acid that's going to melt the lens. You don't want it to puddle and collect sure, that's why you shake the q tip to get rid of excess. Once you get rid of the excess, the chances of any acetone making it to any seal before it evaporates is slim to none.
I’ve been told by vortex, Uso, and Schmidt that they too use acetone to clean lenses if they are super dirty. My only hold up right now is can I just got to my local ace to get some acetone there or is there some kind of lab grade acetone I should use.

Somewhat important question: do you actually notice the specs when looking through the scope? If it doesn't actually have a visual effect, just leave it alone.

As a photographer, shining a light into your lens is the worst thing possible: you see every god damn spec and want it gone even if it isn't causing any issues.

Somewhat important question: do you actually notice the specs when looking through the scope? If it doesn't actually have a visual effect, just leave it alone.

As a photographer, shining a light into your lens is the worst thing possible: you see every god damn spec and want it gone even if it isn't causing any issues.
Nope I don't notice them when looking through the optics. This cleaning was motivated by the scope getting rained on one match and then being put through a port hole with a spider web (eggs included) in another match. I think I do recall seeing the same thing under my old Schmidt and Bender but my main concern is if this is some misting from oil or carbon off my my muzzle brake.

I'm also in the camp that obsessing over objective lens crud can cause more harm than good. Within reason of course. I've had expensive Nikon camera lenses with objective scratches that looked alarming but didn't seem to translate to imperfections in actual photographs. Now a scratch on the body end of the lens is a whole different story.

I'm also in the camp that obsessing over objective lens crud can cause more harm than good. Within reason of course. I've had expensive Nikon camera lenses with objective scratches that looked alarming but didn't seem to translate to imperfections in actual photographs. Now a scratch on the body end of the lens is a whole different story.
I hate and I mean HATE cleaning my scope lenses but after getting rained on and then at another match getting a spider web with baby spiders all over it a cleaning was called for.

No updates yet other than my optic was received. Last I heard NF is looking at 6 weeks.

So, @elmuzzlebreak what was the NF resolution?
Something got splattered on the lens and they removed it with MEK. Process was kind of long but once it got moving it finally was resolved pretty quickly. Never found out what it was but needless to say I now double up coverage on my scopes when cleaning my rifles.