• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Removing tar from necks

WillAdams

Sergeant
Minuteman
Another shooter asked me to look for some gear I once had (never found it) however while tearing my workshop apart I found in a shoved way back (in corner, under shelving) ammo can a bag full of LC 90 NEVER FIRED or Primed brass. Outside bag says 1K and it would appear to be close. However while I have never loaded these they came from CMP(?)DCM (?) with tar/sealant in the necks. Maybe that is why I bagged, tagged and stuffed in ammo can for another day ?
What solvent would be best to remove this stuff preferably in one step ? The alternative would be to load some 170 lapua FMJ I also found and load it for a semi EXCEPT I don't own a semi and don't foresee one in my future.
Ideas, suggestions ?

Re: Removing tar from necks

I had purchased a bunch of primed 50 cal brass that had the tar inside of the necks. I attached a nylon bore brush to a power drill. I would then wrap cotton patches diped in acetone over the bore brush and slowly spin the patch inside each inverted brass. It took me quite a while to clean them all up but it seemed to work fairly well.

Lacquor thinner cuts tar prety well. A practical rack ( like a loading tray, but snug) of some kind might be productive to hold cases tight at the heads while inverting the necks into a half inch deep bath of thinner. Or maybe use some of those plastic ammo sleeves that come with some brands of ammo. Some people find lacqour thinner ( or any solvent, really) particularly noxious so be well ventilated if you use it. Of course, gasoline cuts tar too but is very dangerous for obvious reasons...

Never seen this sealant before, or this method preserving a primed case. Any info available from the CMP folks?

Might just want to load up some SHTF loads and store them away. Put a dab of polyurethane varnish on the primer/case junction and wipe excess off. You will be pretty well sealed for long term storage.JMHO

I'd soak them overnight in mineral spirits then toss them into the tumbler.

I'd just load 'em and shoot 'em.

Removes the tar just fine.

The slight increase in pull weight = increase in pressure is almost always insignificant. But I would reduce the load a small bit if your preferred load is above published maximums or is otherwise a screaming blue pill hot-rod load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Bee 950</div><div class="ubbcode-body">brake cleaner and a q-tip is what I use. Brake cleaner eats that stuff up fast! </div></div>
+ 1 on that.

I got a bunch of 45 acp primed brass from Natchez and did not know it had tar sealer in the necks. I gave my awesome Wife a can of brake clean and a pack of Q-tips and she cleaned all 2000 rounds in no time. By far brake clean is the best.

Will just how sealed are these cases? Any chance of a photo?

Pleeeeeeeeeez
confused.gif

By request

LC90Brass003.jpg

LC90Brass001.jpg

LC90Brass.jpg

Top photo shows the tar line (hard black ring inside)
Am dealing with an OLD digital camera(Kodak 3000 series). Limited clarification. Maybe when i get another "real" job I'll buy a better camera but 1st I'll buy a better hammock !!

Thanks for the photos Will. What purpose does the tar serve? Case mouth protection?

I'm thinking a couple cold beers, some thinner and some Q-tips is just the ticket for those suckers. Since there aren't any primers to be ruined I don't think you have to be as careful as I first thought regarding inverting them into a bath 1/2".

What is the likelihood that tar would be harmful to a barrel if one loaded those cases without cleaning that stuff off and fired away?

Have had great luck with a slighly used 30cal copper bore brush on a drill for neck sealant removal.

1,007 cases is going to take more than "a few beers" !!! Yes, I broke down and counted all of them. Fortunately I have a Gracey Trimmer.Current mood is to make these loaded (using #34 primers, IMR4895 & Lapua 170 FMJ) "just in case" ammo. For when the critters get to active. Now all I need to do is hit the lottery so I can buy a BAR M1918 in 308. Surely one is made ??

Kero soaking overnight, rinsed with lighter fluid or paint thinner. Tumble dry with old regular media. Pitch media when done. Worked for me.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the photos Will. What purpose does the tar serve? Case mouth protection? </div></div>
Waterproofing. Uncle Sugar insists on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the likelihood that tar would be harmful to a barrel if one loaded those cases without cleaning that stuff off and fired away? </div></div>
Nil. It burns off.

If the asphaltum sealant were harmful, you'd be hearing about shorter barrel life with USGI ammo. M118LR and all of the other military ammo has had it from, IIRC, sometime after WWI. I doubt it had it during WWI because of the problems with the CuNi jackets "cold soldering" themselves to the case necks after a few years of storage, resulting in nasty pressure spikes.

I have had good luck by soaking both bullets and cases in gasoline. Cut off a plastic jug and add about a quart of gas. Fill to the top of the liquid with gas and soak a day or so. Fish out the brass or bullets and add more to the gas to soak again. Careful with a match!!!