• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Removing Tikka Bolt Handle?

M4-Pilot

Private
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2008
IN
Could someone tell me how to remove the dovetailed section of the Tikka T3's bolt handle, I plan on making a new one and threading it to accept some different bolt handles that I am going to make up. I am supposed to pick the gun up tonight, but in looking at them previously, it seems the firing pin and rear bolt shrough don't come out of the bolt body in the same way as a Sako. Thanks

Sorry, my search-fu worked better this time than it did last week

1. Ensure the rifle is not loaded and remove the bolt from the rifle
2. Remove the bolt shroud by turning it clockwise until it stops and pulling it away from the bolt.
3. Insert the tip of a screwdriver (approx 3 mm wide) into the gap betweenthe cocking piece and the bolt handle retainer bushing. IMPORTANT! Do not remove the screwdriver tip from this location until you are ready to reassemble the bolt shroud.
4. Disengage the firing pin assembly by turning the screwdriver counterclockwise. Push the firing pin assembly forward until the locking cam of the handle retainer bushing touches the bolt's rear surface.
5. Release the bolt handle from the bolt body. If the bolt handle feels stiff and does not immediately pull out, you can tap it with a plastic mallet at the receiver end.
6. Remove the firing pin assembly from the bolt.

Reassembly:
1. Push the firing pin assy. into place. Make sure that the bolt handle retainer bushing is in the correct positionh, so that you can ease the bolt handle back into place withoug obstruction.
2. Reassemble the bolt handle to the bolt body.
3. Re-engage the firing pin assembly by turning the screwdriver clockwise as far as it will go. Make sure that the terainer bushing locks the handle.
4. Replace the bolt shroud by turning it counterclockwise until the cocking piece cam stops it in the notch before the cocking slope.

Re: Removing Tikka Bolt Handle?

turn the plastic rear of the pin assembly clockwise, you will be able to remove the plastic then.

see the lip sticking up from the firing pin assembly.

push it against a hard surface, this alignes the dovetail in the firing pin with the dovetail in the bolt and allows you to remove the bolt handle.

as you found in your search, works the opposite way if its left handed ok..

regards Pete