• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Repeatability of takedowns

bantaman2

Private
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2011
Washington [WA]
I am looking to get my first “fun” 22. I would really like a 10-22 take down, but inaccurate rifles truly bore and frustrate me. Will I be bored and/or frustrated if I decide to go with a takedown? Do they have a repeatable zero upon assembly? Or is it “close enough” or “minute of squirrel”?

Had a takedown for a few years and sold it...it was fun and accurate ,,but I also put a tac sol barrel on it and kidd trigger and parts....biggest issue for me was finding a stock that didn't flex into the barrel with bipod use...return to zero was never a problem with mine

Great question. After shooting a few Tacsol takedowns, I found them to be ok for what they are intended for, which does not include receiver mounted optics. For varminting, I found the greatest satisfaction with a ground up build using a volquartsen carbon fiber barrel and a Tacsol action The Volquartsen barrel arrived with a .498" O.D. tenon and The I.D. of the Tac-sol actions seems to be running around .4973" I.D. I turned the tenon down so that it fits with zero play. It works great with a receiver mounted optic and shoots as well as any fixed barrel volquartsen with groups around ½" -¾" with CCI mini mags, CCI supressor and Eley subsonics. The tactical solutions barrels and others with .495"-ish tenons are more finicky. ¾" to 1-½' @50yds seem to be the norm as long as you you DO NOT TOUCH the forend while shooting. This will throw your point of impact. Hence the forend mounted optics common for the takedowns.
I always examine barrels with a bore scope and was surprised to see that Volquartsen ain't what it used to be. So, I bought a Proof carbon barrel to see if I could improve on the Volquartsen's performance, which now appears to have the same barrel liner as the tacsol. Unfortunately, the Proof arrived with a .496" tenon and an undersized lug cutout. I can't assemble it for testing, so no report yet. They've been stonewalling me for 5 weeks, so I've lost hope of improving on the Volquartsen build. Shame, because the proof bore looks very nice indeed. It's in league with my 20 year old Volquartsen fixed barrel, which bears no resemblance to current production, which is pretty rough. I may have to make my own custom from a Bartlein blank to get where I want to go with my takedown. I just don't have the time. Can you feel my frustration? Good, now you don't have to.
To answer your question, If you are thinking of running a red dot on the forend or open sights, you'll be fine. If you are thinking of running a receiver mounted optic, then yes, it's likely you'll be frustrated with available rifles and components. If you want to get really excited and don't mind a build project, have a gunsmith fit the volquartsen barrel to the tacsol receiver. Then, have volquartsen optic mount milled down to match the height of the receiver picatinny. Mount it backwards to give yourself more real estate towards the muzzle. A vortex venom works great at this mount height and the controls fall under your thumb in shooting position. This setup also leaves enough room for an offset light mount forward of the optic. Again, conrol is just forward of your thumb. The Proctor PLM for the protac 1L works great - if you can find one. The proctor sling is a great match too. Have fun!

Nope. Your POI will shift with most standard 'rack grade' TDs with taking in down and reassembling. Had 2 and each did this no matter what i tried. Sold them both

Reactions: Seymour Fish