• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

repeating stuck cases.

Mr_Brass

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2010
45x90 WI.
alright so here is the equipment list

RCBS rock chucker
RCBS 223 full length sizer die. with about 17,000 pcs of brass run through it
hornady one shot non arousal

i have run many types of brass even brass that has been shot from new out of my gun to the resizing die.

everything from once fired out of my gun to military once fired.

I understand that machine guns have loose chambers thus larger brass but out of 1000 cases I had 32 stuck cases.

out of 500 pcs that where once fired out of my rifle i had 10 stuck cases.

I have cleaned the die very well with brake cleaner and patches. I am thinking perhaps the die is getting worn out or maybe the lube just isn't working well any more? I am coming off RCBS spray lube so maybe just a learning curve?

1500 pcs of brass in 2 days and almost 50 stuck cases

Any help??

Re: repeating stuck cases.

Throw the F'n One Shot away!!!!!!
I never stuck a case in any die until I used that shit.
Dillon spray lube is good and even the Midway works well.

i have been tempted to go back to the RCBS stuff

i have run about 45,000 rounds with the aerosol one shot through a set of dillon carbide dies.

I went so far as to write and ask Hornady to take that stuff off the market. Had the same issue as you, as well as not being able to control headspace consistantly.
The aerosol works fine.

you're not getting adequate case lube on the brass if you're sticking. the aerosal spray is fast but thats the drawback. the Dillon spray is lanolin in alcohol and works well, but the best but somewhat slower is to use a little dab of Imperial sizing wax by hand as you pick up the brass to load it up in the press.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7x57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you're not getting adequate case lube on the brass if you're sticking. the aerosal spray is fast but thats the drawback. the Dillon spray is lanolin in alcohol and works well, but the best but somewhat slower is to use a little dab of Imperial sizing wax by hand as you pick up the brass to load it up in the press. </div></div>

i have plenty of lube on them.

i have processed over 100,000 pcs of brass in the last 2 years. just wondering if people had thoughts about this problem.

im not a noob trying to size with little or no lube

I use watered down Lee wax lube, do 400 at a time in 60 seconds, sized 1200 ugly range pickups with 0 stuck cases (6 broke pins though)

"i have plenty of lube on them."

Noob or not, the press or die or rifle it was fired in doesn't make a case stick, only ONE thing does that; insufficent or improper lube.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"i have plenty of lube on them."

Noob or not, the press or die or rifle it was fired in doesn't make a case stick, only ONE thing does that; insufficent or improper lube.

</div></div>

That about sums it up.
And a big +1 for Imperial. I've also started using their dry neck lube. Man it makes the case pass over the expander ball smoothly.

I had the same problem and it was always my 223 cases. I quit using the One Shot and went to Hornady sizing wax as my local dealer order it. I have not had an issue since.

I dont load near as much as some of you but I've used nothing but One Shot for 10+ yrs, not one stuck case. I dont even own any equipment to remove stuck cases. Shake well, spray at a 45* angle down from 4 directions on a block with a case in every other hole and let dry well, no problems. It'll be a cold day in hell before I go back to Imperial.

okie

I had the same problem with the spray lube as well...that stuff is the shits! I switched to rcbs case lube, it is about the consistency of stp oil treatment, thick and slimy, I haven't stuck one since then either and I had sprayed the hell out of them with the aerosol stuff and I stuck them multiple times. BTW...my uncle gave me a good trick to remove the stuck ones, you tap out the primer pocket and use a socket the right size to allow the case to "pull in" to the open end of the socket and you stick the bolt through the drive end of the socket and pull the case into the socket, works like a champ! I am sure that most of you already have your methods for this, but I found this to be a very good solution to my 270 stuck case woes, and switching lube has prevented any further need for tapping out primer pockets!

hey hognuts is this the stuff you use from RCBS?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=160333

i had used that stuff for about a year and ran about 22,000 pcs of brass on it without one problem loved it loved it loved it but man the spray cap is junk and thats why i went to hornady one shot

and with the one shot i went from the aerosol can and loved it and then the white bottle and mass problems im going to give the can one more try

I have never stuck a case with imperial sizing die wax. I know your looking for a little more spped, but it is what I use.

Always amazed at how many can't get One Shot to work for them.

Never had a problem with it.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey hognuts is this the stuff you use from RCBS?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=160333

i had used that stuff for about a year and ran about 22,000 pcs of brass on it without one problem loved it loved it loved it but man the spray cap is junk and thats why i went to hornady one shot

and with the one shot i went from the aerosol can and loved it and then the white bottle and mass problems im going to give the can one more try </div></div>

That is not the stuff that I have been using, the stuff I have been using just comes in a little 2 OZ. SQUEEZE BOTTLE.
Product #: 479231 On Midway. The spray was an off brand that I had picked up at Bass Pro Shop. I wasn't impressed with the aerosol, so I have never gone back. I also resize/deprime before I tumble so I can tumble off excess lube from the brass to keep the powder from sticking to the necks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"i have plenty of lube on them."

Noob or not, the press or die or rifle it was fired in doesn't make a case stick, only ONE thing does that; insufficent or improper lube. </div></div>

That and not listening tothe nerve ending in the arm that pulls on the lever.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Always amazed at how many can't get One Shot to work for them.

Never had a problem with it.......</div></div>

Same here. I have sized thousands and thousands of pieces of brass with the spray aerosol One Shot usually in 300-400 piece lots and have never had a case stick. I think some don't let it set a minute after applying to let the propellent evaporate.

I use a large ziplock bag and throw in enough pieces of brass to cover the bottom. Spray them, roll them around and spray again and then dump into a cardboard box and start again. Simple and fast.

I also have used one shot with out a problem that I didnt cause. If I get a stuck case it is because I didnt have enough lube on the case. I put 50 in a block at one time and hit them all from four dirrections really quickly. Let them dry and size. Works like a champ. I only use the aerosol stuff so it might be the pump stuff works differently. Did you make sure it was shaken up well. I konw some of them the mixtures suspend out over time and they have to be remixed.

Not that age means anything, but I have been reloading since 1970 and I use RCBS case lube and I have only stuck one case in all that time and it happened last year. The reason why it happened. I had cleaned my Die with Carb cleaner and didn't lube the first case properly and stuck it.

Just because using case lube doesn't sound cool to use. That don't make it a bad product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"i have plenty of lube on them."

Noob or not, the press or die or rifle it was fired in doesn't make a case stick, only ONE thing does that; insufficent or improper lube. </div></div>

That and not listening tothe nerve ending in the arm that pulls on the lever..... </div></div>

yeah because cases that are really easy going in should get stuck right?

Make sure you are brushing out the case necks. Imperial Sizing Wax, Unique, or even Lyman's case lube are better products for case lubrication. Forget the spray on stuff like One Shot etc. You will have to wait for the alcohol to evaporate so the lanolin sticks to the brass better before sizing. If you spray the cases and push em into the dies right away you will likely encounter issues. Go with the recommendations above for Imperial Sizing Wax.

If you are spraying one case at a time you are really missing the advantage to the One Shot. I can lube 300-400 cases in about 10 minutes.

"yeah because cases that are really easy going in should get stuck right?"

wink.gif
grin.gif

rob I spray about 200 at a time in a glad container

I think i have it about figured out.

Mr06- Have you checked the placement of your expander ball? I ask because the one stuck case I had, I'm pretty sure it's because of the expander ball on the new die being set wrong.

But at least I now have a stuck case remover...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Always amazed at how many can't get One Shot to work for them.

Never had a problem with it....... </div></div>

One Shot does work...but virtually every other lube out there works better.

If you can't find Imperial sizing wax locally just get a thing of Mink Oil. It's the same thing but Walmart carries it. Should be with the shoe polish.

"Never tried mink oil. do you just dab on like Imperial wax?"

"Dabbing" isn't the correct application for any kind of case lube. And Kiwi's Mink "Oil" isn't an oil, it's a soft wax.

Touch two-three finger tips to the lube's surface and then rub the fingers completly over the case to apply a VERY thin layer of the wax. There is no need to avoid lubing the neck-shoulder area because the layer of wax is much too thin to cause lube dents. One touch usually does 3-4 cases before re-touching. Most of us do it as we pick up each case in our left hand for sizing, it takes very little wax and practically no time.

You can wipe your fingers clean afterwards with a paper towel, ditto the sized cases - if you even want to bother with that.

I actually think One-Shot is a decent - not great - case lube but it seems a LOT of loaders fail to read and follow the instructions correctly so it fails, especially when the can is nearly empty. And it appears some spray the cases when they are standing up in a loading block, effectively sheilding the lower/thicker case head area and that's the part that needs lubing the most! Ah, well...everyone should have a stuck case puller anyway!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Imperial Sizing Die Wax......... </div></div>
+1 Imperial sizing die wax is the best! Make sure you get the resizing bottomed out all the way. I shoot a 6.5 Grendel GDMR and if I don't get the die ALL the way down I'll have a jam.

Dabbing" isn't the correct application for any kind of case lube. And Kiwi's Mink "Oil" isn't an oil, it's a soft wax.

I've been reloading since 1977. My first setup was purchased used. It was a Lyman turrent press, 6 sets of dies, bullets primers, misc tools, etc and all packed in a kennedy tool box. It cost all of $100. Back then the only way to lube was rolling the case on a RCBS case lube pad. That was messy as hell. "Dabbing" is just a southern redneck word I guess. I now use Imperial religiously but mink oil might be less costly in the long run. I have a can here and may give it a try.
BTW, I disagree on the One Shot. I think it's the worst product Hornady has ever sent out the door.