• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing replacement barrel, bolt, lug, brake for 110 BA

cdennyb

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Kommunist Kalifornia
OK, I'm at my witts end here. I've tried to contact Savage via phone (no answer to my question.) and facebook postings (got pointed towards the savageshooters.com message board (no luck there either) and towards the 338 Lapuashooters.com message board (no luck x3) and now I'm tired of running around in circles and figured the very knowledgable staff here on SH would be able to answer this or at the very least, provide a place to go ask some more.
I'm looking for a replacement barrel w/muzzle brake, bolt, and recoil lug assembly for my Savage 110BA rifle. I was thinking it'd be much cheaper to go this route than buy a whole new rifle in that caliber. Maybe this isn't possible but it seems like a simple way to achieve my goal of two rifles in one. Seeings that Savage makes this 110 BA rifle in either caliber and they look visually identical then how hard can it be to get a replacement barrel package?
Come on guys, don't let me down. If I didn't need your help I wouldn't ask... I'm out of options at this point and the stupid Google search engine is useless in this regard.

Thanks in advance.

db

Re: replacement barrel, bolt, lug, brake for 110 BA

i saw this yesterday on midwayusa on clearance and you didnt say which way you were going to switch.

Savage Arms Bolt Head Long Action Savage 110BA Push Feed Small Firing Pin Hole Right Hand 338 Lapua Magnum
Product #: 927768
$32.99 $29.02 Save $3.97
Add to Cart

Adams & Bennett Tactical Barrel Savage 110 Series <span style="color: #000099">Large Shank </span>308 Winchester Factory Varmint Contour 1 in 10" Twist 20" Matte with 5/8"-24 Threaded Muzzle
Product #: 765505
$139.99 $102.08 Save $37.91

have you tried these guys for savage barrels?

http://www.savage-barrels.com/index.html

i ordered a 6.5x47L and a .260 barrel and had them in a month.

Im a little lost on what you are trying to do here. You HAVE a 110BA in 338LM and just want to put new parts on it?

The recoil lug should be the same as the large shank that sharpshootersupply makes (I would think)

I think Ive heard the 110BA has a larger bolt than a standard 110, so that will need to be specific.

What caliber to what caliber?

I've had good luck with a guy named Jim, you can find him on savageshooters in the Northland Shooters Supply section under Vendor Classifieds. Give him a call, he's a good guy.

OK, After extensive searching and numerous calls to a few different people this is the result of everyone's awesome input and help. I talked with John at Savage-barrels.com and he consulted with McGowen.
Savage has agreed that the 110 BA in the .300 Win Mag/,338 Lapua Mag rifle has the same receiver and the only difference is the bolt assembly (bolt face), the barrel, and magazine. Here's what they have agreed to do...

Parts required:

Complete Bolt Assembly for .338 LM $202.
Match Barrel chambered for .338 Lapua $211.
Muzzle Brake (same for both calibers) $60.
Magazine for .338 LM $113.

They will assemble and test fire the rifle and return all parts (my .300 Win Mag barrel w/brake, my complete bolt assembly for the .300 Win Mag and Magazine) to me in a condition to re-assemble it here at my convienence or necessity to either caliber and do it within 2 weeks for a total of $655.00

What a deal. It took quite a bit of conversation to explain they were the same rifle, just different chamber and bolt, but I was able to get what I wanted. Thank you all.

Are these all Savage OEM parts you listed? I have to assume so if the barrel is only $211

I would double check that information. The bolt head lugs on the 110 BA in 338 Lapua are 9/16 I am fairly certain the bolt head lugs on the 110 BA in 300 win are 1/2. The lug abutments in the receiver of the 110 BA in 338 are set back .050 to accommodate this extra bolt head material. This means that the opening for the mag well is .050 further back. I am curious to know if my research is correct or not. I have a 110 BA bolt head for 338 because I had planned on doing the same thing however I do not think it will work on a 110 BA action in 300 win because of the difference in the receiver and bolt head dimensions. There may also be a difference in the length of the bolt body of the 338 and 300.

OK, what a bunch of Q's to go over. Here's goes nothing.
The lower receiver is the same PN. yes, all the parts listed are OEM, or Savage built and assembled. Yes the bolts are the same, the ends are different to accomodate the larger casing obviously.
The lower receiver takes either of the two magazines, 300 or 338 and the magazine well is designed for the larger of the two, so both will work. Savage gunsmith claims THEY make the magazines but Accuracy International makes one identical to them for their Arctic Warefare line of rifles. So, maybe either will work but both are expensive. A headspace gauge (or spent shell casing) is required when swapping barrels. Screw the new barrel in with the casing in the chamber until it stops against the bolt head and tighten the barrel nut. The muzzle brake should be oriented correctly as a last check and remove the empty, you should be ready to go. If everything is centered up the scope should still be on target as well, but who knows for sure... this is uncharted territory for me so I'm still working on my confidence level.
Hope this address most questions.

So if what you have been told is true. Savage uses the 9/16 inch lug on both the 338 and 300. We know the bolt face is different for the cartridge but if the lug length is the same then all that is needed is a bolt head, barrel and magazine to do the swap which is the same for the standard savage barrel swap. With a barrel wrench and go/no go gauges. I would be curious to know the measurement from the bolt face to the front of the action when it is in lock up to see how much barrel is threaded into the action. I had an individual with a 110 BA in 300 win measure the bolt lug length and he stated that they were 1/2 inch. If that is the case then the 338 would not thread as far in as the 300 win barrel.

Did this work our for you? I am looking to purchase a BA 110 in 300 Win Mag. and would like the ability to change it to a .338 sometime. Thanks