• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Replacement barrel options/thoughts?

WxWatcher

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
Norman, OK
Hey all. I initially had a 16" RA Match barrel (223 wylde). After I finally pieced together my build, the barrel extension/feed ramps were a big problem in my upper (Mega billet). The right feed ramp had a small burr and the left was considerably more narrow on the extension than my lower, causing a hang-up every time a round chambered. I sent it back per their warrenty, but they are out of stock on the Match barrels with no ETA.
As to not be without a barrel for XX weeks/months, I started looking elsewhere. I know ARP barrels have a faithful following in 6.8, as Harrison has done a lot to keep that caliber going down range. The barrels look good on paper, but was curious as it if anyone had first-hand experience with them.

Also on the radar was a Spikes Lothar Wather LW 50 barrel I have a lead on. Last and least is the Bravo Co 410SS barrel. They have two versions, one with ion coating, one without. I'm trying to stay in the $300-ish range and the 410SS with ion is $369....the coating make that big of a difference?

ARP: $270, BCM 410SS: 309 Spikes LW: 330 BCM 410SS Ion bonded: 369 All 16", midlength gas

Any feedback on the above is appreciated.

Check out brownells and midway. Mid way at the moment has more in stock. Don't order the last shilen from midway though I'm ordering it tomorrow lol

They have white oak Kreiger and shilen drop ins

The BCM barrels are hit and miss (pun intended). ;) I've seen some of the 410SS tubes shoot MOA and better while others were...well...not so good. For the $300+ they want for them, there are plenty of other, proven performers on the market to roll the dice on the BCM which has been less than consistent in my experience.

The Spike's LW barrels are excellent in my experience when you can find them in stock which is a tall order at times. They are well worth the money and wait time if you are so inclined, and that holds true for both their melonited and straight SS models.

Rainier has their UltraMatch 16", mid-length barrels in stock right now and I'm sure that they'll try to work with you knowing the issues you had with their basic "Match" barrel that you returned. They are phenomenal barrels in my experience with models in both 5.56/.223 and 7.62/.308. See here if interested: https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=809

As for the ARP barrels...I have no first-hand experience with them, but from everything I have seen and read, it'd be tough to go wrong if they have what you want available.

Another excellent option for you would be the WOA 16" mid-length SS match which is currently available at Brownells for $269: AR-15/M16 MATCH BARRELS | Brownells

Good luck!

ORD, thanks for the feedback. I'm beginning to gather the same thing about the BCM...some are real shooters, others leave something to be desired. I'd love to have the Ultramatch and did ask about upgrading from the Match. I asked about getting a small discount in the price difference but was told I'd be stuck paying the full price difference between the two, and an additional $130 is tough to come up with right now (car is needing new tires). I, honestly, was surprised RA wouldn't budge a little in the price to help me out, considering I've gotten a good number of parts from them. But oh well, that's life...

One of the most accurate barrels I have ever owned was a Spikes LW-50 fluted 18" 1:8 twist. That thing was a laser. The next best for me have been the Wilson Combat barrels. I have had 3 of them (one currently on my DMR) and they are fabulous for the money. If you can get that Lothar Walther for a decent price you won't be disappointed. My current long range rig is sporting a Lothar Walther LW-50 Savage prefit in .260 Remington 1:8 twist and it too if superb.