• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Replacement bolt and firing pin for LaRue large frame

Scarface26

knuckle dragger
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Southeast OK
Gents,

I'd lie to replace my large frame OBR bolt with a HP bolt and reduced diameter firing pin. LaRue offers this, but you have to buy their spare parts kit for 350 ish and change and I'd really just like a new bolt and firing pin. Reading on JP's website I don't think theirs will work with in this case. Has anyone ever done this before with something other than a LaRue bolt, and who did you use?

Merry Christmas

I think the JP BCG will fit the LaRue. Now, what does my "think" matter to you? I have done some interchangeability experimenting and LaRue is an SR25 pattern, and mostly interchangeable with LMT and KAC. And, I have heard of some people using JP BCG in their KAC rifles, so, if A=C and B=A, there is a good chance that the JP line will fit what you have for LaRue.

But, you might want to call LaRue and talk to John. You pay a lot for an OBR, and if there is a reason for you to change, you might to ask him. He might have an in-house solution.

Gents,

I'd lie to replace my large frame OBR bolt with a HP bolt and reduced diameter firing pin. LaRue offers this, but you have to buy their spare parts kit for 350 ish and change and I'd really just like a new bolt and firing pin. Reading on JP's website I don't think theirs will work with in this case. Has anyone ever done this before with something other than a LaRue bolt, and who did you use?

Merry Christmas

Do you currently have a standard larue .308 Bolt or the new Larue HP Small Firing Pin?

Gents, thank you for your replies. @longshot2000, I'll give LaRue a call and ask for John. Solid logic all the way around.

@bigjake83 I have the standard bolt and firing pin. The primers look a little cratered to me - ammo dependent. Hornady TAP and some cheaper options do this whereas federal does not. I don't want to limit myself to ONLY Federal so I thought a HP bolt and firing pin would be a good move. Especially if I ever decided to re-barrel this in 6.5cm.

@MSTN, thanks, sir. If anyone on here would know, it's probably you. I admire your work, by the way. I actually was leaning this way before I posted, checked their website, and saw how JP said that their bolt (might have been bcg) was set up for the DPMS pattern and would not work on others. As I've shopped around for a replacement, it seems that the majority of bolts and BCG ARE the DPMS pattern.

I've done a bit of research and still am ignorant as to the differences between the different patterns, aside from the slanted upper receiver. I'm not a huge fan of the 20 moa integral rail on the OBR and might consider selling it and going with a DPMS pattern build from beginning to end. On the other hand, that OBR is accurate and reliable.

Happy New Year

Reactions: Charmingmander