• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing replacement trigger for accutrigger

old paul

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2010
Northern Ohio
I shoot better with a low pull weight. the accutrigger won't perform (doesn't cycle thru cocking)when set on min spring compression ( stock spring). So I am looking for a significantly lower pull weight trigger assembly to be used bench rest shooting only.
suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul

Re: replacement trigger for accutrigger

I can't complain about the Rifle Basix Sav-2 on my Savage.

With the Accutrigger, I could not tune it to less than 3 lbs without it being very unreliable, while My Sav-2 is set at 8oz now and is very reliable. Slamming the bolt as hard as I can multiple times will not trip the trigger.

I do wish Jewell made Savage triggers though. The break on the Jewell is the best break I have ever felt on a trigger. The Jewell is also a machined piece of beauty while the RB trigger is cast. The Jewell is also a true drop in, while with the Sav-2 you have to re-use some Savage parts.

My AccuTrigger is bugging me for a different reason. I'm just starting to look into a replacement and it looks like Eric is right. The Jewell is the best hands down, but not made for Savage. So I hear the Shilen is pretty nice too, but it's not made for Savage either. What's going on? Why don't they make the nice ones for Savage?

Really? My accutrigger came out of the box set at 1 5/8# and has been 100% reliable. It is still too heavy for a pure benchrest setup but I like to feel a little pressure before the rifle fires.

I could not tune it to less than 3 lbs without it being very unreliable.

kv.gif

My Sav-2 trigger installation for my new model 12 V took all of 10 minutes and it is an AWESOME trigger for sure. It's set extremely light but during testing I hammered the bolt pretty hard quite a few times and the sear never dropped.

I've installed a RB in this Savage, a Rem 700 and a Marlin 917 and my buddy's installed one in a Savage centerfire and a rimfire. They're easy to install and work GREAT!

I'll be installing two next week in a friends Rem 700's-I installed one for him already and he wants me to do all of his rifles...

Looks like their are only two options available for Savage riles with the Accutrigger. Only one with the Accustock.

SAV-1

All 110 Type Rifles and Edge/Axis Rifles
Long & Short • Early & Late • Left & Right Hand
Models: 10, 11, 12, 110, 16, 111, 112, 114 & 116
Will replace standard trigger or AccuTrigger™
Also fits Savage / Stevens Model 200 and Savage 210 slug gun
Comes complete with instructions, hardware pack, and adjustment wrench for easy user installation.
Operational Range: 14oz.-3.0lbs.
$85.95

SAV-2

Fits All 110 Type Savage Actions
Long & Short • Early & Late • Left & Right Hand
Models: 10, 11, 12, 110, 16, 111, 112, 114 & 116
Will replace standard trigger or new AccuTrigger™
Also fits Savage / Stevens Model 200 and Savage 210 slug gun
Comes complete with installation DVD.
Operational Range: 4oz.-3.0lbs.
*Will not accommodate rifles with the AccuStock. Please see our SAV-1

$155.95

http://www.riflebasix.com/index.php?main_page=index

Sharp Shooter's Supply sells a pretty nice trigger that goes from 2.5 lbs down to 8 oz. It is $97 delivered according to their website. I have one in my rifle and like it so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kgw43</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sharp Shooter's Supply sells a pretty nice trigger that goes from 2.5 lbs down to 8 oz. It is $97 delivered according to their website. I have one in my rifle and like it so far.
</div></div>What kind of rifle do you have? I'm getting the impression that putting them in Savage rifles with AccuTrigger/AccuStock can be problematic.

Give Lisa at sharp shooter supply a call and check on installation with accu-stock+accu-trigger. I just put one in my pre-accu trigger 10fp. Had to open up my bottom metal a bit, but after adjustment and locktite she is 10x better than the old stock trigger.

Here is more detail on the Rifle Basix Sav-2.

I have the Rifle-Basix Sav-2 trigger and overall I am happy with it.

I liked the Factory Savage Accutrigger when it was brand new and set to 2 lbs. However, the more I used it, the more it become less reliable. Trigger would trip quite often by just chambering.

Even when I increased the pull weight to about 3 lbs, and it was still not 100% reliable. For me anything over 3 lbs of pull on what I consider a precision rifle is unacceptable.

So I ponied up the money and got the Rifle Basix Sav-2 trigger.

It was not as easy to install and adjust as I thought it would be. It took me about 4 hours to install the Sav-2 and tune it the way I liked (first time install). The Jewell I believe took me only an hour total to install and tune for a first time install. Now that I know what I am doing, I think it would only take me about half hour to install the Rifle Basix Sav2.

My Rifle Basix is now set at a very safe 8oz trigger pull (confirmed by my digital lyman trigger gauge). When I say "safe", what I mean is I have not been able to accidentally trip the trigger no matter how hard I slam the bolt.

My biggest complaint about Rifle Basix trigger is it is not a true drop in trigger like a Jewell. Jewell comes complete. The Rifle Basix, You have to reuse some Savage Parts, parts of the Savage trigger you have to re-use are:
1) Sear Pivot Pin
2) reset spring
3) Safety Detent Spring
4) Sear

Reason it took me so long to install and tune (This may be specific to only my gun)....

1) Eventually figured out that I had to use the stronger White Pull spring. The Red one was too light, could not set the pull to higher than 5oz with the red spring. When manipuling the bolt and chambering hard, trigger would sometimes trip when the red pull spring was in there.

Keep in mind, When the trigger accidentally trips with the Accutrigger, gun is still safe, and no round would be accidentally sent down range. When the trigger accidentally trips with the Rifle-Basix, it IS a dangerous condition as you would send a round down range.

2) The pivot pin would only work in the most rear position (3 holes available). Any other position and the Sear would disengage when manipulating the bolt. This is not really a big deal, but took me awhile to figure out that I could only use the rear hole, and could not use the middle hole or most forward hole like they did in the installing video.

3) The Sear had to be set as heavy as possible (screw all the way out). Even just a fraction lighter, the trigger would accidentally trip.

Now that it is properly set up, I can say I really do like the trigger. It's pretty crisp, but still does not compare with a Jewell. Jewells has a crisp clean break that beats every trigger out there (even Gisseles).

At $160 retail, I don't think it's as great of a value as a Jewell at $220 retail. The Jewell is one fine piece of machinery, looks very well made and everything is Stainless. Jewell is also a true drop in unit, and the only adjustment I had to make with a Jewell was to set the pull weight (which you can do for both with the action completely installed).

The Rifle Basix may be quality, but it appears to be cheaply made. As I already said, My biggest grip with the Rifle Basix Sav-2 is it does not come complete as you have to re-use some Savage parts (as I already mentioned).

Eric, thanks for the detailed description. If I get one I will read it again before install.
You think their is any chance Jewell will make one for Savage in the near future?

I just called Rifle Basix and the man advised that it is going to take @ $15K and about a year to redesign the Sav 2 to fit the accustock. So I am in a quandry as to buy a Cooper, Sav 1 or give shooting up?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old paul</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just called Rifle Basix and the man advised that it is going to take @ $15K and about a year to redesign the Sav 2 to fit the accustock. So I am in a quandry as to buy a Cooper, Sav 1 or give shooting up? </div></div>

You can get the the Sav2 to work with the new Accutrigger. Just follow my instructions above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old paul</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just called Rifle Basix and the man advised that it is going to take @ $15K and about a year to redesign the Sav 2 to fit the accustock. So I am in a quandry as to buy a Cooper, Sav 1 or give shooting up? </div></div>It looks like it would be an easy change with a lighter trigger pull and would work on the lowest setting. I don't know if the Sav 2 would work on mine or not since I have an HS Precision Savage, but even if it does I might still get the Sav 1. I think that 4oz lighter and working safely on the lightest setting sounds pretty good. Plus it's not as expensive.

FYI. I just called Jewell and they have decided not to market a trigger for the Savage because Savage has the AccuTrigger. I told him the AccuTrigger was crap and we wanted the Jewell, but it doesn't sound like it's in the works. Sadly, he said he made 10 prototypes before deciding it wouldn't be a big enough seller.

My math apparently sucks. The Sav 1 would be either 10oz lighter or 26oz lighter depending on which Savage you have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmchairElite</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old paul</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just called Rifle Basix and the man advised that it is going to take @ $15K and about a year to redesign the Sav 2 to fit the accustock. So I am in a quandry as to buy a Cooper, Sav 1 or give shooting up? </div></div>It looks like it would be an easy change with a lighter trigger pull and would work on the lowest setting. I don't know if the Sav 2 would work on mine or not since I have an HS Precision Savage, but even if it does I might still get the Sav 1. I think that 4oz lighter and working safely on the lightest setting sounds pretty good. Plus it's not as expensive. </div></div>

My Savage is pretty recent, 2010. It is McMillan 10FCP. It did take me awhile to figure out that the Sav-2 was not a true drop in.

1) I could only use the most rearward pivot pin hole, this is the only position it would work in.

2) The Sear Engagement does not work, just take out the sear screw entirely (heaviest setting). Any lighter and the trigger will trip.

3) The "Red spring" does not work, it is way too light, and even at the heaviest setting it was unsafe as trigger would trip. The white spring is suppose to over 1-lb, however, just dropping it in, it was 5oz. A quick adjustment of the trigger screw got mine to 8oz (where I wanted it to be).

Now having done all this, the trigger is great! Break is not as nice and clean as a Jewell, but just as nice as the 2nd stage of a Giselle SSA-E, which is pretty dam good.

Introducing The:
"The Cartmann Savage-M40-Mod-75-Howie-Long"
- Savage 10FCP McMillan, .308, 24"
- Factory McMillan A5 Stock from Savage
- Stock Pillar and Bedded by Velocity Plus (Did not notice a difference in accuracy. It was pretty darn accurate in stock form)
- Rifle Basix Sav-2 Trigger tuned to 8 oz
- NightForce 3.5-15x50 NPR1/MOA, HS and ZeroStop
- YHM Silencer FH-mount
- EGW 0 MOA base (Still have 60 MOA of upward travel)
- Burris Extreme Low Rings
- Harris 6-9" Bipod
- Accushot Monopod
- SSS 9 round mag
- Walmart Sling
- Blackhawk Cheekrest
IMG_1414-vi.jpg

That looks real nice! I think it would look better with a Steeler sticker, but that's just my opinion. I wish I could have a suppressor, but they aren't legal here. I almost bought one of those, but went with the HS Precision instead because I was told they needed bedding. Sounds like they don't. I had a 4-16x50 Pst on mine, but I traded it in with some cash for an IOR fixed 16x. I just use it at the range anyway so I might as well have nice glass. I could afford it in a fixed power. If I was doing the tactical stuff I'd have to get a different scope.
I'm going to mess around with the AccuTrigger maybe today or tomorrow, but I will probably just screw it up and throw it away.
Other than going to a lighter trigger pull do you think their is much difference between the Sav 1 and Sav 2? Both of them seem to be well liked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old paul</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just called Rifle Basix and the man advised that it is going to take @ $15K and about a year to redesign the Sav 2 to fit the accustock. So I am in a quandry as to buy a Cooper, Sav 1 or give shooting up? </div></div>

You can get the the Sav2 to work with the new Accutrigger. Just follow my instructions above.</div></div>

The problem is that the Sav - 2 does not work in an Accu-stock.

If you are looking to spend a few bucks and wait a while, the SSS evolution is the best Savage trigger bar none. Adjustable down to a few ounces and extremely crisp. You are required to have an action truing with it though.

I am in the same boat. The accutrigger trigger if fairly crisp and light but I just cant get comforatable with depressing the blade, then the trigger on the accutrigger. The slot that is in the trigger for the blade messes with the feel for me. I am hoping Timney will step up soon.

i just talked to a customer service rep at Timney and they told me that they did not have anything in the works yet for a drop in accutrigger replacement.

Gruff

Only the Sav-1 & Sav-2 will work. Only Sav-1 will work with AccuTrigger & AccuStock.
Is it just the feel of it that is a problem or are you having a problem with the sear getting blocked when you intend for your rifle to fire?