• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Replacements for Savage FCP-SR Stock?

Buck Wilde

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2020
FL
A buddy of mine showed up last weekend to shoot on my farm. He had a Savage FCP-SR in 6.5 Creedmoor and an Athlon Argos BTR Gen 2 6-24 scope. He's not a hard core shooter, so he is not breaking the bank on equipment.

He said something seemed to be hitting him when he shot from a seated position. I thought he was imagining it, but I fired a round, and the scope hit me in the nose. I have the same scope on a Savage 93R, which has virtually no recoil, so I have not had problems with it.

I guess the eye relief is pretty short on this scope. I don't know what else could be happening.

Anyway, he's around 6'4", and he thinks the stock on the Savage is too short for him. He is looking at other options, such as Boyd's and the MDT LSS chassis. Any suggestions?

I don't know if this scope is going to work out or not. I had to turn my nose out of the way in order to shoot. I have never had a scope hit me before, so I don't know how to deal with it. I'm wondering if a short LOP is what caused him to get hit in the face over and over.

If he's getting hit in the nose instead of his eye he's laying the side of his face across the top of the stock instead of establishing a proper cheek weld. A cheek pad and lining up square behind the rifle instead of having the rifle off to the side will help. Having the stock in the shoulder pocket or on the collar bone will also improve recoil management. I'm a 160 lb old man and my 6.5's don't move. A starting point for adjusting LOP is rear of stock in crook of elbow to finger on trigger. I prefer an inch or so shorter, others like longer.

I can't understand why I got hit. There must be something going on with the geometry of the gun and scope. My friend doesn't have a lot of experience, but I do, and I have never had this problem before.

He is now looking at an MDT LSS. I kind of wonder if he should just get an RPR and sell the Savage.

I just noticed McCree. It looks like they sell the whole business for $600. No need for a separate buttstock.