• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Replacing 1911 mainspring housing & recoil guide

Patton63

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2006
Northern Virginia
I have a 12+ year old SA loaded model that I have had rebuilt in various ways. I now want to replace the maninspring housing and stock two-piece guide rod.

As for the mainspring housing, I am leaning toward either the standard Smith & Alexander checkered housing or their Slim-Line Mag guide, which is a drop-in, integral mainspring housing and mag well (with the outside of the mag-well cut thinner to accomodate slim grips).

As for the recoil spring, has anyone had experience with STI Recoil Master or other similar recoil-dampening systems? I'm going back-and-forth between a system like this and the standard plug and guide that I have in my Les Baer.

Any thoughts/recommendations on these parts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Re: Replacing 1911 mainspring housing & recoil guide

Check out the Dawson ICE magwell. It has the integral mainspring housing.

Mainspring housing / Magwell: Nighthawk had an example of their integrated MSH/magwell at SHOT. It is NOT cast like SA and others. It is machined from billet, checkered 20LPI, and radiused on back corner with integral lanyard hole. It is nice, and fit is flawless and does not move around in frame slots like others. Downside? ~ $150, but quality costs.

Recoil Spring Assy: Go with the "stock" setup you were considering - good move and easily good for 3-5k rounds. Gizmos fail at the most inopportune time. Full length rods are a PITA to field strip and don't offer any advantage except added weight.

Kevin

GI style plug and guide for me.

I'm sure Nighthawk has a beautiful one piece housing and magwell but I'm not willing to bet with my $150 that is is going to fit as nicely with a Springfield as it did with the frame they had it on at SHOT.
Get and SA and have someone blend it.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ktdls7</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Full length rods are a PITA to field strip and don't offer any advantage except added weight.
</div></div>

Bullshit. Full length guide rods GREATLY increase recoil spring life. I would not be without one. They will not decrease the reliability of your gun, either. Win-win all around, other than the minor inconvenience when field stripping.

I would use the S&A magwell if you want something more low-profile, and the Dawson Ice or SV if you want a big magwell.

I'll call Downzero's BS...recoil springs cost what? $4 or 5 dollars? Replace them as needed. Field stripping...in the field...is a PITA. JMHO

Why pay good money for a part to extend the life of an inexpensive spring and complicate the gun takedown? Wolff makes good quality recoil springs and they are easily replaced.

Les Baer doesn't install them in his pistols and does not recommend them. A guide rod "is the perfect solution for a non-existant problem."

Here you have it. Down Zero has evidence that the full lenght system works for him and Former Navel Person says it will not work for him. Fact is it's a ford chevy thing. I have been a 1911 nut since the late 70's and I have tried all of the bells whistles that have come and gone and what it boils down to is what works for you.

Actuall in a 1990 vintage race version shooting major power factor I liked the full length guide rod because it did extend spring life but that was shooting many rounds a week and when you had your rigg running slick you did not want to change things mid stroke. Normal shooting I don't beleive you would need to go that route and put up with the extra problems of take down etc. You just need to try and see what you like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll call Downzero's BS...recoil springs cost what? $4 or 5 dollars? Replace them as needed. Field stripping...in the field...is a PITA. JMHO </div></div>

The recoil spring is essential to reliability and not something to compromise on, IMO.

I can field strip mine no problem. Take the back of a magazine, push the plug down, rotate bushing, and field strip as normal. Not exactly rocket science....

A full length guide rod is not absolutely essential, but it increases reliability and costs you nothing. In my world, that's win-win.