• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Replacing a Midas tac with?

TommyD11730

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2020
Guys
I have a Midas Tac 5-25x56 on a 223 bolt gun. I liked the scope enough to buy another one for different rifle.
I'm shooting this gun 99% of the time at 200 Yards. Usually @ a 3" Splatter target (helps with the tiny 223s) and maintaining. 9" groups.

I'm beginning to think more magnification might help me. The Specs on the Sightron SIII long range caught my eye. Tons more Mag @ 10-50×60 with a thin crosshairs model. Price seems very reasonable.

Anyone have any experience with it? Will I be able to crank the magnification up @200 yards, or will it be one giant blurry mirage?

Input always welcomed!

Nearly doubling the magnification will probably help if you're after that last few .1s at 200. However, something like a 10-50x won't be nearly as versatile...but if it is a target gun 99% of the time, who cares.

I've had an SIII 8-32x56 (ca. 2008) before, and thought highly of it at the price they sold for.

Reactions: TommyD11730
If you are shooting on a benchrest then go for it, make sure you are shooting your target and not someone elses since you cant see the lane numbers with that much zoom lol

If you are laying in the dirt with a rolled up towel or on a rickety table then the shake will drive you crazy

• Haha
A plug for the March 10-60x56 High Master. I just set one up for a friend and holy hell is it a great bench scope. No need for a spotter, good reticle, I really like the turrets, zero stop is all but idiot-proof.
I liked it so much I might now need a March scope.

Additionally, at a certain point, the added mag is tough to use right and ends up causing more problems than it is solving. Most shooters suck at shooting, seeing the target clearly isn't the problem. Your cheek weld is the problem, and your point of aim, and your trigger break, and your breathing, and your wind call. Seeing the bullseye larger in the ocular doesn't address any of those. And that doesn't even begin to consider your ammunition, your barrel condition, etc etc etc... But watching your heartbeat in the reticle is cool, unless you are having a hear attach, I guess.

Most people benefit far more from more rounds down range than they do from more magnification.

But I am usually wrong about most things, and might be wrong about all this too.

For shooting paper off a bench, the Sightrons are good, so is the Vortex Golden Eagle, and the 5-50X Delta Stryker.

For tiny groups at 200y, ensure you're getting parallax dialed out 100% before shooting any groups. Use an aiming point that is same size or slightly smaller than the center dot on the reticle. This will give you the finest aim possible. I've shot several sub 1" groups at 300y with my 6bra and a zco 527 set at 20x power. Parallax and tiny point of aim are key to small groups. Not total magnification.

If you're only shooting 200 yards then you really don't "need" anything more than about 15X.
What you do need, for your intended purpose is good glass, a rifle capable of the accuracy you seek and ammunition that is also capable of said accuracy.
I like the midas tac scopes, they are dandy and it isn't the thing holding you back.

The Sightron will not resolve much better than the Midas (I had both). I have the Trijicon 5-50 mrad, which is the Stryker clone, and it is excellent, but small FOV. I can shoot tighter groups with it than with my G3 due to the size of the dot, and maybe my XTR3 SCR2, depending on distance, due to the extra magnification, but I would only choose it over those 2 as a pure target scope. The FOV difference alone make the G3 and XTR3 much more usable either scanning, or getting back on target.

The sightron is a good scope, but you may want to move up to the SV, you'll get better glass.
Not that the SIII is bad, but the SV is better.