• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Replacing bottom metal on a 700 BDL

Buzzsaw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2006
Frisco, Texas
Thinking about swapping the current BDL BM for a detachable mag system. What are some good ones and what is involved. Are some "drop-ins" some require bedding?
Rifle is Remington 5R .223

My preferred approach is to use the excellent PTG bottom metal (which is approximately $100), and send your existing stock to a gunsmith for inletting. The PTG bottom metal fits the Badger M5 inlet, and the geometry is fairly complex. While the work can be done at home with any number of tools, this is a case where it's probably best to spend another $75 for professional assistance (and this is coming from someone with a machine shop in his pole barn, so I've been there and done that). If the inletting is performed cleanly, there should not be a need for any additional stock work such as bedding, although it probably wouldn't hurt.

The toughest part of the project will be finding an Accuracy International magazine for .223. They are presently rather difficult to acquire.

The PTG as suggested is a great choice. In and done. If you want to do it yourself, and assuming you have the stock HS stock (ha ha), they make one that I like and has served me well for over a year. Two minutes with a file on the inside of the stock (nothing is visible when finished so you don't have to fuss about it not looking perfect) and it drops in. They sell 4 and 10 rounders and are typically a little more expensive then the AICS but have a nice finish to them. If you go this way you may also want the lip feed tool that Brownellls sells so you can tune them to your rounds; but of course a nice set of needle nose pliers will get you the same result.

You can always just suck it up and grab a nice Manners with their mini-chassis. I recently bought a T3 with mini chassis and love everything about it.

Choices and more choices.

Am trying to source the 223 AI mags for a rifle too. Would love to go that route but it looks like BDL bottom metal for now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can't go wrong with ptg stealth, never seen any trouble with 3 of them and several buddies with em'