• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Replacing bullet and powder from good round to new grain

AIRN510

Private
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2018
New to reloading so my apologies if this has been addressed before or worded correctly.

Basically where I’m at is that I had bought some 7.62x51 142/147grn tracers with the intention of shooting on private land. That never happened so they’ve sat and I’m looking to re-bullet the rounds so that I could actually shoot them at ranges. What I believe I understand correctly, is that the tracer bullet can be removed and I can reseat a new bullet but the powder amount wouldn’t stay the same since I’d be going up to a higher grain bullet.

My thought process is that I remove the tracer bullet, remove the powder, re-measure the powder to the correct amount per bullet grain, reseat new bullet and hope I don’t die. Does that sound fairly accurate? One issue I do see is that I don’t know the powder used (tracers came from American Marksman, could reach out to see if they’d give that info) so I could ballpark amounts based on reload data and test and re-measure as if I’m developing my own loads. Or if this makes sense, measure the powder amount in the original tracer round, compare that data to reload data for that grain bullet and adjust to the new grain? And probably still test and re-measure/develop the correct load.

Hopefully I’m making some kind of sense, been trying to figure out how to word it all correctly without sounding too much like an idiot and make some sense for the help I’m requesting.

I’d just leave them as is and I’ve you’re going to go through the trouble of loading start with good known materials and do it right rather than the half ass mexi match route.
Yeah that’s always been my plan, just wanted to make use of these rounds so they weren’t sitting around.

How many rounds is it? Seems like as usual , spife is on point here. Leave em be and just use good known components to load good rounds. If it's some large amount that may be different.... If they were in lapua brass or something that would be reason to pull em and use your known powder and bullet to load em , but I think I'd just keep em and load with good components. Not the worst thing to have some tracers laying around

Either 168 or 175’s.
Pull the tracer bullets. Dump out the powder. Work up from minimum charge listed for the 168/175 bullets. You can reuse the powder if it's in good shape... But you should start from minimum charge listed in a manual.

Seems like you were asking if you could just reduce the powder charge in the tracer rounds by 1/10 grain per grain of bullet weight for the new bullets...

It's not really a linear equation... There are a whole host of variables at play that determine the pressure produced... Bullet weight is just one. Case volume, bullet profile/bearing surface, chamber size, distance to lands, etc... all factor in to the results.

Mike

Reactions: AIRN510
Plan A : M-25 & M-62 tracers are about 145 grains. You might get away with replacing them with a 150 gr. bullet, but NOT a 168 or 175 bullet. If you dissemble them, you're going to have to at least re- neck size the cases to properly seat a new bullet.

Plan B: If you want to get rid of them without shooting them, disassemble and start all over with a known powder.

Plan C: Since you don't know what powder was used in the loads, leave them as is and start all over with a known powder & bullet & work up a load for 168 or 175's.

I have successfully disassembled a bunch of 1917 M-1907 ammo that was hang fires. I Weighed the powder charges for a good average then started with new brass & primers, weighing the original powder to the original weight & load the original bullets. The ammo shot fine in my 1903 A3.

You have to be careful & know what you're doing, otherwise, you will turn yourself into a Pirate.

If you're not sure, don't Fuck around and find out.

Looks like I misunderstood your original post.

I somehow got the idea that you had managed to get your hands on some tracer projectiles and hand loaded them.

Based on what @FLIGHT762 posted, this is loaded ammo that you purchased which contains powder of unknown provenance.

If this was loaded ammo, then I must concur with Flight762 and strongly encourage you to go with either Plan B or Plan C that he suggested.

Don't go screwing around with an unknown powder. The results would likely be disappointing at best or deadly at worst.

Mike

Depending on thee amount of tracer rounds you have I would just hold onto them. Tracers are always good to have on hand.
But if you have like 10,000 then sure pull 9800 and keep the rest.
Best to start with a known powder and fresh brass.

Appreciate all the help and guidance, you guys even answered some other questions I had. I have about 2,000 tracer rounds so I’ll most likely re-bullet/re-neck some to a 140 range bullet then do proper loading for the 168/175s with known good materials.

you could try selling the tracers, someone in your local area might buy them for more 'value' than the primed brass is worth. Then you can get nice new brass, and primers of a known kind, and start loading from there.

you could try selling the tracers, someone in your local area might buy them for more 'value' than the primed brass is worth. Then you can get nice new brass, and primers of a known kind, and start loading from there.
Yeah for whatever reason, people like having some tracers on hand. I mean, I do..... I'd try going to a LGS and selling them, they will fetch a decent price to someone that wants them.

Appreciate all the help and guidance, you guys even answered some other questions I had. I have about 2,000 tracer rounds so I’ll most likely re-bullet/re-neck some to a 140 range bullet then do proper loading for the 168/175s with known good materials.

I’ve used American Marksman 308 and it’s blaster ammo at best if it even works lol. The last batch had LC cases that were blowing holes out the side of the recess at the base of the case by the extractor groove.

Needless to say I wouldn’t put nice 168/175 match bullets in those cases/primer/powder combo. If you’re gonna put new bullets in then grab some 147 Armscor bullets and make some blaster or practice ammo.

Use the 168/175’s with good components and reap the benefits.

Reactions: camocorvette