• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Replacing gel coat on a mcmillan stock

Jason Shore

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2008
What do you guys do when you sand below the gel coat on a mcmillan (fibreglass) stock. Do you need to re-seal it or will it be fine left as is ?
Had to sand the bottom metal inlet
Any replys appreciated
Thanks Jason

Re: Replacing gel coat on a mcmillan stock

I too would like to know how to gel coat a sanded area on a MCM.

Gel coat cannot be replaced in any manner that duplicates its original application. It can, however, be repaired using automotive glazing putty, which is a final step product used to fill imperfections left from applying automotive body filler. It allows final sanding to achieve a smoother finish. Using a flexible vinyl spreader, a thin coat can be overlayed, than sanded smooth once it cures. Block sanding is often the better technique. The glazing putty still requires priming in order to receive paint effectively.

Color gel coat camo must color matched and repainted.

Greg

Contact McMillan.

They can put you together a small "Patch Kit" that matches the color pigments in your stock. It is an epoxy type mix that you mix, place and after curing, buff. Potentially you could have it look almost like new.

Maybe PM Ryan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason shore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you guys do when you sand below the gel coat on a mcmillan (fibreglass) stock. Do you need to re-seal it or will it be fine left as is ?
Had to sand the bottom metal inlet
Any replys appreciated
Thanks Jason </div></div>

If your not building it back up all you need is the pigment color. Thats what McMillan does when they cut out for the bolt handle and ejection port.

Thanks for the replys guys. I Dont care much about the looks of it i am more concern if the fibreglass needs to be sealed to prevent moisture getting into the fibres.
I dont know how bare fibreglass reacts to moisture .Will it expand etc ?
Jason

Ill call McMillan on monday and order a patch kit, thanks guys.

Few spots on my return stock were gone over with some sort of yellowish clear "plastic". Don't have it around right now to take a pic but who knows what it was.
Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chad3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Few spots on my return stock were gone over with some sort of yellowish clear "plastic". Don't have it around right now to take a pic but who knows what it was.
Chad</div></div>
That was the resin used to hold the fiberglass together.yellow juice.

Jason shore,

I emailed you back on your aol account.

My gunsmith (Jon Beanland) has fixed some small spots on my McMillan's with a patch kit from Mcmillan. They look great. You wouldnt know they were there unless you knew where to look. He is very good though!! I dont think i could do it myself. Lee