• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Replacing Leup mk4, ffp/mil ideas

Cs68

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2019
Livonia, MI
I have been consuming a lot of comparison info from DLO, write-ups, and video, as well as running through a ton of threads dating back 10+ years.
Considering an SS 5-20hd, MPO 3-18, Dmr2/dmr pro, xrs, or xtr3.
Main concerns are ffp, mil, and reliability since it could take a tumble somewhere on a hunt. I did have an swfa 3-15, so the reticle isn't a deal breaker. Currently have a toric uhd 4-20 on a ctr, and love it, but I would prefer something bombproof just in case. I've seen swfa and an mpo for sub $800, wonder if the bushy/burris would be worth the extra $$ compared to the swfa track record for glass, tracking, and durability?
Budgeting about $1000.
I think all the info I've taken in lately has just given me more options instead of narrowing them. Thanks for any input that could help a dumb ape like me make a better decision.

I have a 3.3-18 XTR3 and a DMR3, both are excellent for different reasons. I can't say I've heard of many failures with either optic, and if you know where to look you can find both around $1,100ish.

Reactions: jb0311
What kind of leupold mk4 you replacing? I had an SWFA 5-20 and it was a good scope, the bushnell HDMR is great I love the reticule but it weighs a ton (felt like 5lbs lol), they are both made in japan and both are sturdy.

BCP, I have a 4.5-14x50 with the tmr reticle. I think the glass is good, but I don't like the reticle and I've just lived with it until now, because I only shot it 20 or so times a year.
I rebarreled a r700 300wm with a bartlein cf, so after dropping 1.5lbs in barrel weight, the added bit of scope weight will be ok. Original barrel was horribly picky with ammo, and balances a lot better for shots when I can't go prone.
I'm thinking a full horus reticle might be a little overwhelming for me, but I've only used mildot styles until now.

I wouldn't pay more for the SWFA than what I would for a 4.5-18 LRHS or LRTS Bushnell, or DMRII. The Bushnells have more features, and are going to be about the same glass wise.

If your are spending over 1k get the XTRIII, if you are spending 1500 or 1600, I would still suggest the XTRIII.

I really liked the MK5 also.

That's how I felt originally, but an swfa sale bringing the illuminated 5-20 to around $850 peaked my interest, dropping the price to below what I was seeing comparable scopes on the px. I'm trying to stay under $1000 bc my lady and I are doing some home remodeling, and that's eating into potential scope budget. Perfect world I'd get a tt or kahles and be done with it, but that's not a possibility right now.

The SWFA 5-20 at 850 is a fine choice as long as you like the reticule. You can the bushnells for under a grand on the used market. I love the leupold 4.5-14x50 weight and eyebox it's too bad they took forever to put .1 mil knobs on them. Then they made a version of it called the LRP that had this 2.5" tall elevation knob lol.

I have been consuming a lot of comparison info from DLO, write-ups, and video, as well as running through a ton of threads dating back 10+ years.
Considering an SS 5-20hd, MPO 3-18, Dmr2/dmr pro, xrs, or xtr3.
Main concerns are ffp, mil, and reliability since it could take a tumble somewhere on a hunt. I did have an swfa 3-15, so the reticle isn't a deal breaker. Currently have a toric uhd 4-20 on a ctr, and love it, but I would prefer something bombproof just in case. I've seen swfa and an mpo for sub $800, wonder if the bushy/burris would be worth the extra $$ compared to the swfa track record for glass, tracking, and durability?
Budgeting about $1000.
I think all the info I've taken in lately has just given me more options instead of narrowing them. Thanks for any input that could help a dumb ape like me make a better decision.
If you can eat bologna sammichs for the next couple months, I'd save up the extra $350 and get this...

MIL-R - https://www.eurooptic.com/nightforce-nxs-55-22x56-mrad-zero-stop-mil-r-c528.aspx

MOAR - https://www.eurooptic.com/Like-New-C434-NF.aspx

I did see that nxs since I've checked euro, liberty, and cameraland a few times. I found a couple xtr3's used in forums. I'm wondering if the illum model being built in the Philippines makes it any lesser in quality than the non illum, us assembly?
So far I've found the swfa for $779/$850 non illuminated/illuminated, xtr3 for $1000 used, and a dmr pro for $1100. I have zero experience with the burris and bushnells, only what I've read, which isn't a great deal about the xtr3, and the dmr pro ranging from crushing the dmr2 in glass, to being nearly the same scope.

Shv is not in the same league as a xtr3 or a dmr3/xrs3. Swfa is outdated obsolete and the MPO is pure shit.

You really can't do better than a used xtr3 for sub 1k.

Reactions: R_A_W
I realize the swfa is outdated but had a rep for glass and tracking, that's why I considered it. I'm surprised to hear you think the mpo is shit, I just listed it because DLO has it as a recommendation and thought I'd try to get more feedback.
Current short list is xtr3/3i, xrs2, dmr pro, ss 5-20, which I've found them all right about my budget or under.

Nightforce makes an shv in first focal with the mil-r reticule as well they seem to pop up for about 900-1000. I think 5-20 and 4-14.
They also are not very good scopes from what a whole lot of people say... They're basically the Vortex Vipers of the NF world... They'll get the job done, but it's not a "real" Nightforce.

I did see that nxs since I've checked euro, liberty, and cameraland a few times. I found a couple xtr3's used in forums. I'm wondering if the illum model being built in the Philippines makes it any lesser in quality than the non illum, us assembly?
So far I've found the swfa for $779/$850 non illuminated/illuminated, xtr3 for $1000 used, and a dmr pro for $1100. I have zero experience with the burris and bushnells, only what I've read, which isn't a great deal about the xtr3, and the dmr pro ranging from crushing the dmr2 in glass, to being nearly the same scope.
The NXS will be a much better scope than the SWFA, which doesn't even have a zero stop, and it has mushy turrets. I've owned quite a few SWFA's, and while they're great budget scopes, their quality on the spectrum is "meh", and they are definitely a very outdated design.

Also, I heard rumor that SWFA was shutting down and not making the SS scopes anymore. Not sure about the truth in that, but that's what I heard.

I can't tell you much of anything about Burris, other than most folks seem to like them, but claim that, while it's clear, the glass is nothing spectacular and worth writing home about. I've read this from quite a few folks.

And I would steer-clear o Bushnell period. Just my $0.02 on that. Take it for what it's worth.

I would still opt for that NXS 5.5-22x56 for only $1,350... Best priced option out there right now.

Your Tract Toric that you love is made by LOW just like every option you mentioned except the XTR3. I’m not sure why you think any of those other options would be any more bombproof than the Tract. If you have one and like it then just get another, they are good optics.

Reactions: BCP
The NXS will be a much better scope than the SWFA, which doesn't even have a zero stop, and it has mushy turrets. I've owned quite a few SWFA's, and while they're great budget scopes, their quality on the spectrum is "meh", and they are definitely a very outdated design.

Also, I heard rumor that SWFA was shutting down and not making the SS scopes anymore. Not sure about the truth in that, but that's what I heard.

I can't tell you much of anything about Burris, other than most folks seem to like them, but claim that, while it's clear, the glass is nothing spectacular and worth writing home about. I've read this from quite a few folks.

And I would steer-clear o Bushnell period. Just my $0.02 on that. Take it for what it's worth.

I would still opt for that NXS 5.5-22x56 for only $1,350... Best priced option out there right now.

SWFA is not shutting down, they have new updated models coming out.

Your Tract Toric that you love is made by LOW just like every option you mentioned except the XTR3. I’m not sure why you think any of those other options would be any more bombproof than the Tract. If you have one and like it then just get another, they are good optics.
I know it's a good scope, I'm basically splitting hairs to find the best optic for my money, and then is no real reliability report since they're so new. I did have a hiccup with it, the center cap Allen wrench slot for the pull up turrets stripped very easily with normal use to try and set the zero stop. That being said, they mailed me replacements after an email and picture, makes me hesitate just a bit, but I feel it's not much of an issue.

If the glass is on par with my toric, it will be good enough for me, I know I'm not getting tier 1 glass for $1000.
Why avoid the bushnells? I know the older dmr had glass that was pretty disappointing for the price, but other than that people seem to like the huge end bushnells.

SWFA is not shutting down, they have new updated models coming out.
That is good to know. Maybe it was that they were stopping production of the old SWFA SS models that I heard. Either way, it’s good that they’re finally updating their designs. 👍🏼

If the glass is on par with my toric, it will be good enough for me, I know I'm not getting tier 1 glass for $1000.
Why avoid the bushnells? I know the older dmr had glass that was pretty disappointing for the price, but other than that people seem to like the huge end bushnells.
Bushnell ruins good things, like they did after they acquired Bausch & Lomb’s optics brand. The old B&L scopes (pre-Bush) were excellent scopes with great glass (not top-tier, but solid scopes). Bushnell kept the same “Elite” model names, but made them cheap Chinese junk to make bigger profit margins. Just my $0.02…

Got sidetracked and haven't posted for a bit...Opportunity to snag a cronus btr g2 popped up for $1100, I know nothing about them except they seem to be really good scopes.

Reactions: TheSunPope