• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Replacing PST Gen 2 with an NX8 worth it?

Helislacker

Private
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2018
Hi,

I want to upgrade the glass on my rifle and immediately the NF NX8 4-32x50 stuck out. The rifle is light enough to hunt with but stable enough to shoot matches with. This scope stuck out because it’s in a great price range, is relatively lightweight, and I know it’ll be nearly bulletproof. I’ve heard mixed reviews on the optical performance, and that is the only thing holding me back. However, if it’s a significant step up over the PST in optical quality I’ll probably buy it. If not, I may wait for the next Gen Razors before purchasing. Considering all of this, would you guys recommend the upgrade? Or should I hold off?

Thanks

I have an nx8 4-32. I also have several g2razors.
Wait for the razor.
The NF is ok, but I am not impressed enough to leave or lose faith in vortex over it. Not even close.

Reactions: 1911hombre
I compared my 5-25 PST to a 4-32 NX8 at a rimfire fire match last year.
The NX8 didn't impress me at all, the turrets were nice but the glass was not noticably better, certainly not enough to justify the price increase IMO, the reticle at 4x was too find to be of use in a match or hunting situation.

I had wanted to purchase a NX8 but after viewing that one I'm hanging out for a Burris XTR3 or Gen3 Razor.

Reactions: RTV and HolyCity73
I have an nx8 4-32. I also have several g2razors.
Wait for the razor.
The NF is ok, but I am not impressed enough to leave or lose faith in vortex over it. Not even close.
I expect the NX8 glass quality to be around the same as the Razors. It’s not that I’ve lost faith in Vortex, it’s just that I realize the PST Gen 2 is a budget scope and want something a little better.

I expect the NX8 glass quality to be around the same as the Razors. It’s not that I’ve lost faith in Vortex, it’s just that I realize the PST Gen 2 is a budget scope and want something a little better.

You won't beat a Gen 2 Razor glass-wise with an NX8. It is probably better than a PST, but the NX8's I've looked through have left a lot to be desired given the price range.

If I was worried about weight and size, I'd probably buy a 2.5-20 NX8 because despite the glass being meh, it really is impressively small and light with a good feature set.

If the only thing you're looking at is the 4-32 however, I'd go find a used Gen 2 Razor and sell it when the Gen 3's drop.

Reactions: HolyCity73
Once you get away from the budget lines, including the pst, you see a massive improvement in all aspects. The g2 razor imo is better glass than the nx8.

My eyes must be different than all of y’all’s lol I have both and the NX8 is definitely an upgrade over the PST 2 ESPECIALLY in the early morning or late evening. A $50 Tasco is going to be good in bright conditions. I think the PST 2 is the best scope in its price point, but the NX8 is steps ahead.

Attachments

• 7477441B-795E-4C5E-8692-D563CDEA64E7.jpeg
    7477441B-795E-4C5E-8692-D563CDEA64E7.jpeg
    816.4 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: Regal2800
Personally, I’d buy another Leupy mark5 over an nx8. Glass is subjective though, nobody has the same eyes. You can find mark5’s in the px for good deals. Super clear glass, great optic for its price.

I'm not sure anyone could argue that NX8 is not an improvement over a PST2. I don't believe it's an improvement over a Razor, however. At least not glass wise.

I love all the responses comparing the NF to a Gen 2 Razor.
That is NOT what the OP asked about, he asked about replacing a PST.
Two different worlds.

Reactions: Chit126
I love all the responses comparing the NF to a Gen 2 Razor.
That is NOT what the OP asked about, he asked about replacing a PST.
Two different worlds.

Still a valid point though, a gen2 Razor can typically be had for less than an NX8. It's not just the Glass, the eye box is better on the Razor.

Still a valid point though, a gen2 Razor can typically be had for less than an NX8. It's not just the Glass, the eye box is better on the Razor.

OP wants to throw it on a crossover hunting/target rifle. I dragged around a rifle during last deer season with a Razor gen II on it. While doable, there's way lighter options out there, the NX8 and PST II being a couple of them. A forgiving eye box was the least of my concerns after lugging around a 16lb rifle for 9 hours on my longest day. If he's walking less than a mile, sure, but even then there's other options. I will say I did appreciate the Razor for the muley portion of my hunting season, but we had a set of wheels to move around in for that.

For Op, I thought my PST II 3-15 would've been perfect for hunting but the parallax knob on mine was way too stiff to operate quickly and smoothly under pressure in the cold. Now I'm on a similar quest as you are, trying to find a good crossover target/hunting scope. My main contenders right now are the NX8 4-32 and finding a used AMG 6-24. My main concern with the NX8 is the finicky parallax and DoF reports. My concern with the AMG is the 6x low end if I end up out East again (a possibility this year), where my 2.5-10x works best in the sense brush. From those who have experience with the NX8 4-32, is the DoF and parallax issue a large enough hinderance in a sub 200m hunting scenario?

I’m assuming Vortex will update the rest of the Razor line as well in the next year or two.

Agreed I'm hoping nightforce will update the ATACR lineup as well since those scopes are also getting a bit long in the tooth... an ATACR with 8x zoom ratio vs a G3 Razor would be an absolutely agonizing decision and one I look foreward to lol

OP wants to throw it on a crossover hunting/target rifle. I dragged around a rifle during last deer season with a Razor gen II on it. While doable, there's way lighter options out there, the NX8 and PST II being a couple of them. A forgiving eye box was the least of my concerns after lugging around a 16lb rifle for 9 hours on my longest day. If he's walking less than a mile, sure, but even then there's other options. I will say I did appreciate the Razor for the muley portion of my hunting season, but we had a set of wheels to move around in for that.

For Op, I thought my PST II 3-15 would've been perfect for hunting but the parallax knob on mine was way too stiff to operate quickly and smoothly under pressure in the cold. Now I'm on a similar quest as you are, trying to find a good crossover target/hunting scope. My main contenders right now are the NX8 4-32 and finding a used AMG 6-24. My main concern with the NX8 is the finicky parallax and DoF reports. My concern with the AMG is the 6x low end if I end up out East again (a possibility this year), where my 2.5-10x works best in the sense brush. From those who have experience with the NX8 4-32, is the DoF and parallax issue a large enough hinderance in a sub 200m hunting scenario?

As I said earlier in the thread, my suggestion would be to check out the Burris XTRiii in either the 3-18 or 5-30.

Reactions: Birddog6424
As I said earlier in the thread, my suggestion would be to check out the Burris XTRiii in either the 3-18 or 5-30.

Any other ones you might suggest? I know for myself, I haven't heard or seen any of these elusive XTR IIIs up in Canada yet. Timely release dates in Canada are more wishful thinking than anything else ?. Which NX8 model are you replacing with the XTR III?

Any other ones you might suggest? I know for myself, I haven't heard or seen any of these elusive XTR IIIs up in Canada yet. Timely release dates in Canada are more wishful thinking than anything else ?. Which NX8 model are you replacing with the XTR III?

The 4-32. I cannot speak to what is available in Canada. Looks like the the Burris XTRiii's are available at Midway. The Leupold would also be a good option.

Reactions: Northernjets
The 4-32. I cannot speak to what is available in Canada. Looks like the the Burris XTRiii's are available at Midway. The Leupold would also be a good option.

What's primary driver behind you replacing it? IQ? Eye box? Finicky parallax/DoF? All of the above?