• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Replacing stripped scope base screws

Re: Removing stripped scope base screws

I have been through this with EGW a couple times!! I drill out the screws just enough until the base can be remove. With the base removed there is no longer any tension on the screws and they can easily be twisted out with a good set of vise grips or pliers. I have marred up my base once doing this so you may have to replace it (preferably one with torque screws!).

Sometimes you can tap a torx screw bit into the allen screw and it will have enough bite to remove the screw. I would try the torx bit first.

That worked. Thanks! The base is salvaged but I would like to get a fresh set of torx screws (6x40). Any idea where I can get these? How do I search for them and how do I know I've found what I'm looking for?

yes...
215-538-1012

or go to brownells...I'd call the number first

Try calling EGW, I have heard they might offer torx screws for their bases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sandbogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try calling EGW, I have heard they might offer torx screws for their bases.</div></div>

Exactly why I listed their number

tapping a torx bit in there is all ways my first thing i try. good idea milling off the screw head to remove the base how have i not thought of that all ready
crazy.gif