• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Replacing the safety on a mauser 98 action

Pirate-69

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2009
Greenville, NC
I replaced the original safety and installed a new low bolt safety on a mauser military 98 action. The new safety is designed to work with a scope. The original safety would rotate and lock the bolt back while cocked in the action. The new safety will not rotate and lock the bolt while it is cocked in the action. However, while pulling back the cocking lug while the bolt is out of the action, I can pull it back enough that the safety will rotate properly. I understand that it is a fit problem, I am just unsure what needs to be modified at this point. Don't want to do something I can't correct. Any help would be appreciated in advance.

Re: Replacing the safety on a mauser 98 action

If you look at the back of the safety, there should be some little half-moon cuts milled there that are basically witness marks or recesses for the cocking piece to rest in when the safety is "on." The leading edge of one of the half moon recesses needs to be dressed down so that as you try to flip it up into the safe position, it cams up under the cocking piece. Does that make sense? It has to wedge under the cocking piece/striker and cam it back enough so that the safety can be rotated upward, blocking the cocking piece/striker from any forward movement, and seating the cocking piece/striker in the half moon recess. So the fitting means dressing that camming edge down (like sharpening a knife blade) to the point it will slip under the cocking piece/striker.

As with all DIY projects, go slowly.

Can you be sure it's installed correctly to begin with? I've seen some mauser aftermarket parts that suck or don't fit, but generally it's more likely that they fit fine.

Installing the safety correctly is more of an issue most times I've found. I don't mean to offend you, just check that it's right before you start filing stuff.

Other than that, next step is what DMann said.

Pirate...check Eddy-bo's post just a couple back...wherein he is looking for a new cocking piece after doing what you plan. Bohem is cautioning you about repeating his mistake.

Reference your original safety to see the engagement bevel. stone it till you feel it engage with some effort then buff it on a wheel. 600 grit or higher.

Throw that second rate safety away and go with the two position side swing type safety, much more safe and easy to operate.

I have seen 98 Mausers that came into the country covered with storage grease that will not go on safety as the safety cam does not line up with the groove in the cocking piece.

You can remove or add material to:
a) the cam on the safety
b) the grove in the cocking piece
c) the sear interface on the cocking piece
d) the sear

Steve Wagner shows how to install the Beuler and the M70 type Mauser safeties
http://www.gswagner.com/