• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Replacing trigger on 700 - Shilen vs Rifle Basix

Re: Replacing trigger on 700 - Shilen vs Rifle Basix

I have never used a Shilen.

I was recently talked into trying two of the Rifle Basix triggers. I bought one of the low range (4oz to 1.5lb) and one of the higher range (1.5lb to 4lb) triggers (don't quote me on those exact trigger pulls). They have worked great for me. They were very easy to adjust and the Rifle Basix folks were great to talk to. I wish they would publish their trigger adjustement routine, but I understand their concerns, and they were very helpful on the telephone.

I am actually selling the high range trigger to a friend so I can buy another of the low range triggers. The low range trigger set at 1.5 pounds is the ticket for me.

I have always used Jewells in the past. If these continue to work as well as they do now, I have found a new trigger supply.

generally speaking...after market triggers can cut groups in half...years ago when i did a shilen...it did indeed cut them in half....i was pleased

please complete your profile...

I have a Shilen I've been very happy with. It's a very simple drop in.
I't not as nice as the Jewell's I use on my benchrest guns but plenty good enough for other uses.

I just put a Rifle Basix trigger in one of my Savage Target rifles. I have not shot it yet but it seems very good. I do not know about their Remington trigger but there is a lot more work installing their Savage trigger than the Shilen Remington. It wasn't difficult but was more time consuming. That may only be because of the Savage version.

I like the Timney Triggers #512, which is a Rem 700 trigger with safety and nickel plating. If you order on-line from Timney they will set your trigger to the lbs letoff you desire.

Bob

Between RB and Shilen, I went with RB because they answered the phone and gave me a tutorial on triggers. Shilen do this day has not got back with me about ordering a trigger and barrel.

According to RB, their trigger is as close to a factory 700 trigger there is on the market but manufactured to tighter tolerances. I asked for it to be set at 1# and when all said and done after 500 rounds, pull gauge confirms 1#.

My bolt release was bent and would not release the bolt, called RB, they answered the phone and gave me a small tutorial on 700 triggers and my fix was counter to what looking at the trigger.

I prefer the RB shoe, it is standard 700 arc but wider and with grooves.