• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Replacing uppers on registered SBR lowers

chalwie

Private
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2010
ATL
I finally received my Tax Stamp for my LWRC 6.8 PSD, which has an 8 inch barrel. If I buy another SBR upper for use on this lower, is there any additional paperwork that I need to file? What if it's a different caliber, ie. 556?

Re: Replacing uppers on registered SBR lowers

You dont have to file any more paperwork. The ATF says it is optional to notify them of any permanent changes, so unless you sell your PSD upper, there is nothing else you need to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuXi115</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You dont have to file any more paperwork. The ATF says it is optional to notify them of any permanent changes, so unless you sell your PSD upper, there is nothing else you need to do. </div></div>

This is correct. Now all you need is a suppressor
smile.gif

I spoke with the ATF about this the other week. Basically, they really don't care. They understand the modularity of the AR platform so they are not really going to say anything if you have another upper on it.

Great, thanks for the quick responses.
Interesting side note, I noticed the Form has "8.5 inches" listed, and the LWRC website lists "8.0 inches" for barrel length. Thinking the dealer made a mistake on the application, and wanting to avoid liability - I called the dealer. They stated that the Form 3 transfer stated "8.5 inches". Long story longer - LWRC confirmed it is 8.5 inches; but the website information is an error.
Just FYI, if anyone else comes across this concern.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is correct. Now all you need is a suppresso</div></div>
How true: too many toys, too little time. Looking into a 45Osprey for my HK USP first. Then, maybe an AAC 762SD.

ATF could really careless about barrel length or caliber once the lower is registered. I run a 6.8spc w/10.5" setup then I have 3 different Noveske packages to switch off to in 5.56 :12.5" Afghan, 7.5" Diplomat and another6.8 ,w/7.5" barrel.On my Form 1 I listed 3 seperate barrel lengths.

I called in on the same question about changing barrel length on my Form 1 SBR lower and they told me to just send them a letter listing the new barrel length(s).

I.E. "Besides the original barrel and OAL listed on the Form 1, S/N XXXXX will from time to time also be configured with a XX" barrel having an OAL of XX" or a XX" barrel having an OAL of XX"."

They stated they would file the letter with the Form 1 and that would cover me in the event of it ever coming into question. Makes sense thus leading me to believe they will immediately change their mind at the first opportunity...