• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Replica IDF M14 sniper rifle project (completed)

Random Guy

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2012
Just an fyi post regarding a random M14 vintage sniper rifle circa mid-1970s to approximately 1997....

Historical Overview: Israel reportedly built 10,000 M14 sniper rifles out of the 35,000 rifles that the USA gave them in 1973 following the Yom Kippur War. Originally in the mid-1970s I have read that they used the old 4x Wild Heerbrugg scopes from the K98 sniper rifles. In the mid-1980s' they upgraded to the 6x40mm ‘Nimrod’ scope. The final scope used was the Kahles 6x42mm 'Futonic' scopes with large rubber sun shades, which were introduced in 1994 on the IDF M14 rifles. I think these rifles were kept in reserves into the mid-200Xs. I suspect most of them have now been sold off or otherwise disposed of, and I doubt the IDF still maintains M14s in its inventory.

I generally prefer US military items, but I made an exception for this replica as its kind-of unique looking. One other interesting historical analogue is that the US Army 'officially' replaced the M21 sniper rifle in favor of the M24 SWS in 1988, but the IDF kept using their M14s snipers until they too were replaced around 1997 with the same rifle, the Remington-made M24 SWS. Here's some project pics for anyone interested:

Here’s a picture of the rifle when it was in service.

First, given that my IDF scope had been painted/re-furbed at some point, I decided that a light re-spray of the vintage IDF stock would probably be okay, but normally I would leave a vintage stock as-is. My sling is pretty fresh looking too. So, other than wear on the buttpad and minor blemishes on the stock from military use, this replica looks like an IDF M14 sniper that just came out of an arsenal re-build circa mid-1990s. Left side (complete):

Unique IDF cheek piece is bolted into USGI stock via two long threaded bolts. Its huge and ungainly looking, but ergonomically it works. Note the para cord securing rear sling to rifle. I didn't paint the cheekrest. It had been previously roughly sanded while in service, so I simply added two coats of clear satin enamel finish to slightly restore it.

Scope elevation turret marked "M14" with a BDC from 100 to 800 meters:

Range estimation reticle:

Right side:

Barrel is a medium weight SAI barrel. Front sight is a standard part, but I did use a NM flash hider. Gas cylinders were not unitized on the original IDF sniper rifles, but I plan on doing an AMU-type unitization for this project.

You can see the original M14 serial number of the IDF rifle here, and also some writing on the vintage IDF sling (I don't know any Hebrew, so I can't read it):

Interesting use of double para-cord to secure the sling to the rifle (this is original):

Anyhow, this was an ad hoc project for 2019 due to the purchase of the IDF scope on eBay. It turned out okay given the budget.

So now it just needs a trigger job, a unitized gas cylinder, and fitting a gas lock so it times up correctly, but otherwise its basically finished. I do not have a range report on it yet, but I'll take it out sometime this summer and see how it shoots. Just an fyi post regarding a replica of somewhat unusual vintage sniper rifle.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics and history.... love to see the way M14's were put into service and in so many roles long after they were no longer the issue rifle.

Reactions: Random Guy
Yes, I saw their website with all those former IDF M14s in crates. A Canadian outfit imported 250 or so part kits with de-milled receivers. I think 50 of them had medium weight barrels and sold quickly, whereas i think the standard weight kits are still available - at least to Canadians. (Kits did not include the scope or mount). I got my stock out of Canada, and the sling out of Israel, but the other parts were sourced here in the US.

Last edited:
Reactions: THEIS
Just an fyi post regarding a random M14 vintage sniper rifle circa mid-1970s to approximately 1997....

Historical Overview: Israel reportedly built 10,000 M14 sniper rifles out of the 35,000 rifles that the USA gave them in 1973 following the Yom Kippur War. Originally they used the 'Nimrod' 6x42mm scope from I suspect the mid-1970s to the mid-1990s. The Kahles 6x42mm 'Futonic' scopes with large rubber sun shades were introduced in 1994 on the IDF M14 rifles. I think these rifles were kept in reserves into the mid-200Xs. I suspect most of them have now been sold off or otherwise disposed of, and I doubt the IDF still maintains M14s in its inventory.

I generally prefer US military items, but I made an exception for this replica as its kind-of unique looking. One other interesting historical analogue is that the US Army 'officially' replaced the M21 sniper rifle in favor of the M24 SWS in 1988, but the IDF kept using their M14s snipers until they too were replaced around 1997 with the same rifle, the Remington-made M24 SWS. Here's some pics for anyone interested:

View attachment 7094561

First, given that my IDF scope had been painted/re-furbed at some point, I decided that a light re-spray of the vintage IDF stock would probably be okay, but normally I would leave a vintage stock as-is. My sling is pretty fresh looking too. So, other than wear on the buttpad and minor blemishes on the stock from military use, this replica looks like an IDF M14 sniper that just came out of an arsenal re-build. Left side (complete):

View attachment 7094562

Unique IDF cheek piece is bolted into USGI stock via two long threaded bolts. Its huge and ungainly looking, but ergonomically it works. Note the para cord securing rear sling to rifle. I didn't paint the cheekrest. It had been previously roughly sanded while in service, so I simply added two coats of the satin enamel finish to slightly restore it.

View attachment 7094563

Scope elevation turret marked "M14" with a BDC from 100 to 800 meters:
View attachment 7094564

Range estimation reticle:
View attachment 7094565

Right side:
View attachment 7094566

Barrel is a medium weight SAI barrel. Front sight is a standard part, but I did use a NM flash hider. Gas cylinders were not unitized on the original IDF sniper rifles, but I plan on doing an AMU-type unitization for this project.
View attachment 7094567

You can see the original M14 serial number of the IDF rifle here, and also some writing on the vintage IDF sling (I don't know any Hebrew, so I can't read it):

View attachment 7094581

Interesting use of double para-cord to secure the sling to the rifle (this is original):
View attachment 7094570

Anyhow, this was an ad hoc project for 2019 due to the purchase of the IDF scope on eBay. It turned out okay given the budget.

View attachment 7094794

So now it just needs a trigger job, a unitized gas cylinder, and fitting a gas lock so it times up correctly, but otherwise its basically finished. I do not have a range report on it yet, but I'll take it out sometime this summer and see how it shoots. Just an fyi post regarding a replica of somewhat unusual vintage sniper rifle.
Thanks for sharing that! As you may know, these were in use when I was in. We had a kind of wide variation as to how effective these were with the ART II and XM-21 w/ART scope. (We only had M-21’s) I was never clear on when changes were made. I often think nomenclatures were added when they retired a system or part of a system.?

Is there documentation of who refurbed these into sniper rifles and who maintained them?

Last edited:
The only documentation I am aware of is that Israeli Military Industries (IMI) did the stock modifications and converted what I suspect were rack grade M14 rifles to IDF sniper rifles back in the 1970s. (They also dissembled approx 25k M14 rifles for spare parts to support the sniper rifles). I believe IMI is still the primary state run arsenal, so I presume they maintained the M14s as well as other Israeli small arms. (It is now called IMI Systems). That’s all I know. (Attached picture is from Lee Emerson book. M14 Rifle History and Development, Vol 1 (2016)

Attachments

• IMG_0620.jpg
    IMG_0620.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Reactions: sandwarrior
Very cool variant I hadn't seen before.

What load did the IDF use with these rifles?

They spun off the small arms division, privatized, and changed the name of that to IWI but pretty much yes.

The rest of it is the IMI Systems division of Elbit.
It seems to me, or I’ve heard somewhere, that IMI still has a facility in So. Cal. out in the desert. Ammunition and Desert Eagle stuff is made there as well as other “parts, pieces and assundry items”. Anybody know the truth on that? I say good for them if they do still have that.

Not sure if that’s right... Magnum Research and IWI. One of them still operates the facility in So. Cal. Magnum Research I understand moved to Saco, Maine.

Last edited:
Regarding what load, my scope turret only says “M14,” but some IDF Nimrod scopes used from mid-1980s to early 1990s have “M852” on the elevation turret re the BDC, so presumably that was the standard for a while. (168 SMK bullet at approx 2550 FPS). I gave heard of - but have not seen - Nimrod BDC turrets marked “M118”. That’s all I know...

ON EDIT: I found a picture of an IDF M14 sniper sold on an Italian website a couple of years ago, and I noted that it has one of the Nimrod scopes with the turret marked 'M852' - just an fyi to confirm that IDF used match ammo with these rifles.

Attachments

• IMG_1754.JPG
    IMG_1754.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1753.JPG
    IMG_1753.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1755.JPG
    IMG_1755.JPG
    290.8 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Reactions: Davo308
Thanks for the kind words. The IDF M14 replica came together pretty easy as it didn't require glass-bedding.
I have a couple more US-based M14 replica sniper/DMR rifles that need to get bedded...and thus I have to wait on builders.

Attachments

• SSR_parts1_2019.jpg
    SSR_parts1_2019.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 124
  • Navy_M14_SSR_manual_1996.JPG
    Navy_M14_SSR_manual_1996.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 99
  • USMC DMR parts.JPG
    USMC DMR parts.JPG
    372 KB · Views: 97
  • DMRpic.jpg
    DMRpic.jpg