• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Replica Navy M14 Sniper Security Rifle (SSR) completed

Random Guy

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2012
Just received from the builder my replica of a US Navy M14 Sniper Security Rifle (SSR). It’s not exactly a ‘vintage’ sniper rifle, as they were in service circa 1996 to around 2011, but it was the last of the Navy M14 sniper rifles, and I thought others might find this project interesting. No range report yet, but I mounted the scope and took some pics for anyone interested. This project began in the summer of 2017, when I found the proper tan McMillan M3A stock online with the military M14 selector cut-out, and was finally completed in late 2020 with the rifle being bedded by Accuracy Speaks.

Quick history of the Navy-built M14 Sniper Security Rifle (SSR): In 1996 the Naval Surface Warfare Center (NSWC) at Crane, IN, updated their late 1980s/early 1990s era M14 Physical Security Sniper Rifles (PSSR) or informally called the ‘M14 port security rifle’, with an improved version, designated the M14 Sniper Security Rifle (SSR) (NSN: 1005-LL-L99-5690). The SSR utilized a solid gray McMillan M3A stock with an adjustable cheek piece for improved ergonomics over the earlier M1A stock, and a unique Navy-designed scope mount system that was basically ‘crush-fit’ between the barrel and receiver, resulting in a very solid scope mount. Optics were updated to the Leupold Mark 4, 10x scope with M1 turrets. Based on the Navy’s funding for the earlier PSSR rifles, it would appear that approximately 300 SSR rifles were likely built at Crane in the mid-1990s, but I have not been able to find a definitive number.

Stock and barrel changes during production at Crane: The original SSR rifles from the mid-1990s used solid ‘battleship’ gray McMillan M3A stocks and had rear-lugged receivers that were likely re-used from the earlier PSSR rifles, whereas the later SSRs from the 200Xs used a tan-colored McMillian stock, with rear lugged receivers used initially, and towards end of production Crane switched to non-lugged M14 receivers. The original SSR rifles made in 1996 used heavy profile, 4-groove, 1:10 twist Barnett/Douglas barrels, followed by a procurement of Kreiger heavy barrels in late 1997 (on edit: not clear if Krieger barrels were for Navy shooting team, combat SSRs, or both?). The late production SSRs with tan stocks from the 200Xs utilized heavy profile Douglas barrel blanks, as provided by Springfield Armory, Inc. (Note: These heavy profile barrels are the same carbon steel, 6-groove, 1:10 twist barrels that SAI uses on their current M1A ‘Supermatch’ rifles. Some of the Navy barrels were stamped with a “CC” for Crane Contract. My barrel is stamped with the initials of the original builder at Crane – see details in picture #6). The rifles were issued with the same large aluminum transport cases that were used with the earlier M14 PSSR rifles, as well as the ‘M700/300 WinMag bolt-action sniper rifles, later designated as the Mk 13 Mod 0/1 and Mod 3s.

Last stop for the Navy’s precision M14 rifles: Around 2010-11 the SSR’s were returned to Crane, where between 50 and 100 of the barreled actions were removed from the McMillan stocks, and the actions were re-configured for a SAGE chassis with the Magpul PRS II buttstock. (see last pic). The scopes were upgraded to Nightforce 3.5-15x50mm units, and each rifle was also issued with an AN/PVS-27 night vision unit. Bipods were updated to an Atlas BT-10. They were re-designated as the Mk 14 Mod 2 EBR-EDMV (Expeditionary Designated Marksman Variant, NSN 1005-LL-L99-8736). In other words, between 50 and 100 of the SSR’s were re-born as Mk 14 Mod 2 rifles circa 2011 – which were the last of the Navy-built precision M14s (total production reported as 250 rifles). I am not sure if the NECC is still using the Mk 14 Mod 2s, or if they have transitioned to newer semi-auto 7.62x51mm platforms.

It’s not a perfect replica of an SSR – the receiver I used has a welded-on rear lug with a torque screw, but it doesn’t appear that Crane used torque screws on the SSR builds. (Torque screws via pillar bedding is somewhat labor intensive on an M14, and they were only used on the earlier PSSR rifles from the late 1980s/early 1990s). In addition, the final/late production SSRs that Crane made circa 2006 with the tan McMillan stocks used non-lugged M14 receivers. Secondly, the Leupold Mk4, 10x scope used on my tribute build is aesthetically correct, but it has a TMR reticle instead of a Mil-Dot reticle, and I don’t think the Tenebraex LRD/ARD units were issued with the SSR, but these parts fit this scope. Lastly, I used a customized trigger group that was reverse engineered from the SAI ‘M25 adjustable match trigger,’ so it’s no longer a standard USGI M14 trigger group, as it allows some level of adjustment capability. Other than those mostly subtle aspects, this replica is about as aesthetically correct as I could make it.

As a final detail, not shown, but managed to purchase a Kalispel aluminum transport case that came out of a gov’t auction, and added various small items issued with the SSR kits. Weight of this rifle w/ bipod, sling, and empty magazine is 16 lbs, 0 ozs.

Summing up, this tribute build represents a somewhat uncommon variant of an M14 that was used initially as a semi-automatic sniper rifle by Navy SEALs/Naval Special Warfare (NSW) personnel from roughly 1996 to 2000, and subsequently utilized by the Navy Expeditionary Combat Command (NECC) as Designated Marksman rifles until around 2010. No range report on this rifle yet as I just got it back from the builder, but after starting this tribute project 3.5 years ago, I’m glad it’s finally finished…

Attachments

• SSR_left_side2_v2.jpg
    SSR_left_side2_v2.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 913
  • SSR_left_optic_system_v2.jpg
    SSR_left_optic_system_v2.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 867
  • SSR_rear_torque_screw.jpg
    SSR_rear_torque_screw.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 727
  • SSR_rt_side2_v2.jpg
    SSR_rt_side2_v2.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 944
  • SSR_right_optic_system_v2.jpg
    SSR_right_optic_system_v2.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 711
  • SSR_barrel_stamp_v2.jpg
    SSR_barrel_stamp_v2.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 730
  • Early_Navy_SSR.jpg
    Early_Navy_SSR.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 778
  • M14_SSR-persiangulfmay72008.jpg
    M14_SSR-persiangulfmay72008.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 792
  • Lake_thar_thar-SSR.jpg
    Lake_thar_thar-SSR.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 804
  • Last Steel Warrior pg 245_v2.jpg
    Last Steel Warrior pg 245_v2.jpg
    648.5 KB · Views: 864
Last edited:
Who was the builder? Jeff Amato is the stamp on the barrel. I have never seen any Krieger barreled SSR's. All barrels I have seen and own are Barnett and Springfield. Some CC marked and some not. Most of these were out of the field by the early 2000's. NECC never used the mod 2's. That was NSW. Also they did not go to the Nightforce. They switched to the Leupold 3.5-10 with 168gr marked turrets in the MK14 program. The Mod 2's did use the Nightforce. The only time NECC personnel used those were at schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: BGE541
A few different folks contributed, as the stock needed some prep work, but the rifle was built mostly in AZ, a mutual buddy did the chambering and finish work, and Accuracy Speaks did the bedding. (A guy who built some of the originals at Crane gave up his FFL in 2018 or 2019, so that wasn't an option). The hybrid 'M25' trigger unit still needs a slightly stronger coil spring for the plunger pre-tension set-up, but the rifle is otherwise complete. This one was a journey.

You probably know more than me about these rifles, and here's my understanding: The SSRs were used by NSW from 1996 until May 2000 when Crane got its first 300 SR-25s w/ suppressors, aka the Mk 11 Mod 0. The SSR rifles were then used by NECC throughout the 200Xs as their primary 7.62 semi-auto DMR, but by the end of the decade they wanted to update the rifle to accommodate modern optics and NV gear. The M14 Program Manager worked with NECC and SAGE to develop the Mk 14 Mod 2 for the NECC, at least that is what the briefing document noted (See attachment #1 of a public briefing re the SSR to Mk 14 Mod 2 conversion/update process). Picture #2 is an excellent resource for anyone interested in M14 history up to present day.

So the Navy briefing implies the MK 14 Mod 2s were developed per NECC mission requirements to accommodate 24/7 operational tempo. I was also told that they are used for the NECC EDM course. Anecdotally, after some discussion regarding precision, Crane apparently advised the NECC EDM instructors to use AB39/Mk 316 for best long range precision with the Mod 2, instead of M118LR ammo they were using for the course - but that's all I know.

Re when SSRs were last fielded, I don't have first hand knowledge, but I will note that the Lake Thar Thar picture in Iraq was date stamped by the DoD as July 2007, and the picture of the two SSR's on the Navy ship USS Abraham Lincoln is date stamped May 2008 by the DoD, and noted as part of the Nassau Expeditionary Strike Group "in the Persian Gulf", so my understanding is that they were still in use in 2008. (Some stateside training pics with multiple SSRs are also date stamped May 2008 - see pic #3). Anyhow, my understanding is they were sent back to Crane around 2010-2011 where between 50 and 100 SSR's were re-born as Mk 14 Mod 2s, and that is when that picture was taken in 2011 of the rack of used SSRs along the new Mk 14 Mod 2.

As for my SSR stock, it was likely part of an August 17, 2006 sole-source solicitation posting by Crane for the unique tan McMillan M3A stocks. I actually found the original procurement posting years ago, but my screen shot it not very legible (see pic #5). It states: “M3A TACTICAL STOCK INLETTED FOR NAVY M14 SSR (NO FORWARD OR REAR LUGS) WITH 14 LENGTH OF PULL, RECOIL PAD INSTALLED, BI-POD SWIVEL ATTACHED, TAN IN COLOR.” Contract Number: fbo:N0016406T0319. According to McMillan Fiberglass Stocks, circa 2006 approximately 200 of these tan M3A stocks were ordered by the Naval Surface Warfare Center at Crane, IN. These stocks were used on the last of the non-lugged SSRs presumably built in late 2006-07.

As for scopes, again no expert, the 1996 manual refers to the Leupold fixed 10x and the 2008-dated pics still show the same fixed 10x scopes (pic #3 for example), but could some 3.5-10x scopes have been used? Of course, as Crane purchased a bunch of those scopes back in 2004. They were obviously used on the Mk 14 Mod 0s in the mid-200Xs. As for 3.5-15x NF NXS scopes, my understanding that was part of the Mk 14 Mod 2 update (see pic 4). The NF scopes were not used on the SSR rifles, to the best of my knowledge (I am under the impression the Crane contract awarded to NF in mid-2010 included the NAV-SPEC 3.5-15x scopes used on the new Mk 14 Mod 2, and various other platforms as well).

As for the mysterious Krieger Barrels and SSRs, noted M14 researcher and author Lee Emerson wrote in his book (and posted online) that Crane procured a batch of M14 Krieger heavyweight barrels in late 1997. I have never seen one either, so its a bit of an enigma. I think his research was based on a 1997-dated procurement document. (Source: M14 Rifle History and Development, Sixth Edition, Volume 1 (2019), page 192)

Anyhow, I tried to build my SSR replica as accurately as I could, with the exception of the 3 or 4 subtle differences noted in my original post.

Attachments

• SSR_briefing_NECC.jpg
    SSR_briefing_NECC.jpg
    789.4 KB · Views: 503
  • Frank_Iannamico_M14_book_cover.jpg
    Frank_Iannamico_M14_book_cover.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 287
  • Navy_M14_SSR_optics.jpg
    Navy_M14_SSR_optics.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 274
  • Last Steel Warrior pg 244.jpg
    Last Steel Warrior pg 244.jpg
    435.1 KB · Views: 686
  • Navy Crane M3A procurement_2006.png
    Navy Crane M3A procurement_2006.png
    101.2 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
I am almost a 100% those Krieger barrels were for the shooting team. Not arguing but the only MOD2's that I saw used were at the Expeditionary Marksman Course. I posting a picture of my current SSR builds.

I like the patina of those take-off stocks. Are the two on the right the early gray stocks?

You may be right about the Kreiger Barrels for the shooting team, but for whatever reason someone at Crane gave Emerson the impression that they were used on some SSRs in the late 1990s...Who knows, it might have been what Alan Brown once referred to as a "lack of process control" for sniper weapons used by the SEAL teams circa 1990s. As noted, I have never seen one. You are correct about my barrel, it has the 'final' stamp used by JA.

On EDIT: Fwiw, as for accuracy of the SSR and Mk 14 Mod 2, another Navy briefing noted the following with respect to NECC DM and EOD personnel:

“The original M14 SSR accuracy testing generally consisted of proving the system was able to get 5 consecutive shots inside a 4.5 by 4.5 inch square area at 300 yards. This roughly translates to the 1.5 MOA Extreme Spread which is currently verified for each MK 14 MOD 2. This allows for the NECC Expeditionary DMs to engage vehicle engine targets at 800 meters, and EOD units can regularly hit unexploded 40mm grenades at a 150 meter stand-off."

Attachments

• IMG_7685.JPG
    IMG_7685.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Yes they are grey stocks. JA marked the stock, bolt and barrel just so you know.

Awesome build Random Guy! Fellas...Question, did the SSR have stock variations? I was told at one point, 12’s did maintenance on these rifles pending the location. Possible future build.

Attachments

• DB7BCE6D-D0BD-494B-8774-219BB03A4779.jpeg
    DB7BCE6D-D0BD-494B-8774-219BB03A4779.jpeg
    409.6 KB · Views: 198
  • 94ED3069-6F6E-4BA5-97B2-63B1E8709BFE.jpeg
    94ED3069-6F6E-4BA5-97B2-63B1E8709BFE.jpeg
    475.6 KB · Views: 195
  • 9FF314F9-8BDB-46FD-AD65-2FF9CC2E24EC.jpeg
    9FF314F9-8BDB-46FD-AD65-2FF9CC2E24EC.jpeg
    444.3 KB · Views: 186
Thanks for the kind words, glad folks found the post interesting. I did a quick range trip to sight-in scope this week, and with my pet handload it printed a 1.35 to 1.4" MOA group (attached is a 10-shot group at 100 yards). Good enough for its first range trip.

Question, did the SSR have stock variations? I was told at one point, 12’s did maintenance on these rifles pending the location. Possible future build.

The SSR was a Program of Record and thus standardized to the best of my knowledge regarding the M3A stock.

However, a retired 2112 told me that during the mid-1990s the USMC tried out "about 10 different" configurations of what became known as the USMC M14 DMR rifle. (Different barrels were tested, as were scope mounts and scopes too.) It was standardized in 1998 with the green M2A stock, and got its formal NSN in 2000, I think. I've heard that some black M2A stocks were used on the prototype USMC DMRs in the mid-1990s. Your tan M2A stock is quite unusual in my experience. Could it have been used on one of the roughly "10 different" configurations this retired 2112 mentioned to me? Possibly, maybe, but I never got to see his notes, so its just speculation on my part. To me, the USMC hand engraving suggests a prototype DMR. Thus I would build it as a USMC prototype, and not the Navy version of the SSR that had the M3A, but of course, whatever floats your boat as well...

I would contact McMillan and see if they have any recollection of that stock since it's a bit unique re color and configuration. (if it was a solid gray M2A I would have a different opinion, as those are definitely Navy specific stocks that were ordered during the 1990s).

On Edit: The late Gale McMillan had a very good working relationship with the USMC going back to the late 1970s when they developed the then-new M40A1 rifles, and it’s conceivable that he might have provided a small number of gratis (no-cost) McMillan evaluation stocks in the mid-90s for the prototype M14 DMR testing. I say this based on the hand inscribing inside the cheek piece, which I have seen on well-used solid black M2A stocks and now your solid tan stock has the same "USMC" and some numbers hand-engraved inside the cheekpiece. Neat little piece of USMC history.

Attachments

• SSR_100_yd_target_12102020.jpg
    SSR_100_yd_target_12102020.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
That is a great build, congratulations on getting it together.

If I’m lucky enough to find myself in the US I’m going to have an M14 or an M1A in my safe.

Well, I don't know much about the technical specs but went through EDM in 2011, we actually T&E'd the first batch of Mk14Mod2's up at AP Hill during out course... remember them having a very pingy/tight reverberation feel from the all aluminum stock and didn't love the NF SFP optics, with they would have gone FFP for milling and holds. It was Jan/Feb and VERY cold... Either way over the next few years put thousands of rounds through them, shot ok for what they were, definitely not bolt rifle accurate and would have issues with the M118LR on really hot days. Over all cool build, let me know if I can answer any questions for you.

I'm the second from the right in the back row (standing).

EDIT***After reading the thread its entirety, I will note our M14SSR optics were 10x Leupolds with MC Mil reticles and MOA windage and elevation knobs. The NF were only on the demo units (That I saw) and also remember we had fielded a McRee's or maybe MARS Forward mount NV Bridge on the Mk14 Mod 2 but it looked like it was one if the first of its kind (rough, prototype like machine work) but very solid. I forget the markings on the action, want to say it was marked "Smith" with a SN of 270XXX. I want to say the M14SSR ended up in its final revision with the McMillan A3 stock, but I could be mis-remembering its been a minute.

Attachments

• EDM 2011.jpg
    EDM 2011.jpg
    802.7 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Well, I don't know much about the technical specs but went through EDM in 2011, we actually T&E'd the first batch of Mk14Mod2's up at AP Hill during out course... remember them having a very pingy/tight reverberation feel from the all aluminum stock and didn't love the NF SFP optics, with they would have gone FFP for milling and holds. It was Jan/Feb and VERY cold... Either way over the next few years put thousands of rounds through them, shot ok for what they were, definitely not bolt rifle accurate and would have issues with the M118LR on really hot days. Over all cool build, let me know if I can answer any questions for you.

Thank you for chiming-in and for your service. I will send you a couple of questions via PM, but curious about the date of the class picture. Was that taken in early 2011? I heard that many SSRs were returned to Crane in 2011, but looks like some were still being used for the EDM course?... hence the question.

The chassis systems like the Mk 14 Mod 2 do have a strange (and IMO slightly annoying) "ping" to them, same goes for the M40A6 sniper rifles.
Attached is a pic the early Mk 14 Mod 2 in a training setting. Was your T&E of them in Jan/Feb 2012? I think the manual is dated December 2011, so curious if you tested them in early 2012?

(You are right about the SSR stocks: the stocks used on them from 1996 to 2011 were the McMillan M3As (first were solid gray followed by the tan color). The SAGE chassis used on the Mk 14 Mod 2 was unique regarding the connector piece b/t the chassis and buttstock, and was developed in 2011 with input from Crane working with SAGE. I am hunting for the unique connector piece for a replica of the Mk 14 Mod 2.)

Attachments

• Mk 14 Mod 2_training.png
    Mk 14 Mod 2_training.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Reactions: M1A1Abrams
Thank you for chiming-in and for your service. I will send you a couple of questions via PM, but curious about the date of the class picture. Was that taken in early 2011? I heard that many SSRs were returned to Crane in 2011, but looks like some were still being used for the EDM course?... hence the question.

The chassis systems like the Mk 14 Mod 2 do have a strange (and IMO slightly annoying) "ping" to them, same goes for the M40A6 sniper rifles.
Attached is a pic the early Mk 14 Mod 2 in a training setting. Was your T&E of them in Jan/Feb 2012? I think the manual is dated December 2011, so curious if you tested them in early 2012?

(You are right about the SSR stocks: the stocks used on them from 1996 to 2011 were the McMillan M3As (first were solid gray followed by the tan color). The SAGE chassis used on the Mk 14 Mod 2 was unique regarding the connector piece b/t the chassis and buttstock, and was developed in 2011 with input from Crane working with SAGE. I am hunting for the unique connector piece for a replica of the Mk 14 Mod 2.)

Yeah shoot me a PM id be happy to talk with you more.

Reactions: Random Guy
You probably know more than me about these rifles, and here's my understanding: The SSRs were used by NSW from 1996 until May 2000 when Crane got its first 300 SR-25s w/ suppressors, aka the Mk 11 Mod 0. The SSR rifles were then used by NECC throughout the 200Xs as their primary 7.62 semi-auto DMR, but by the end of the decade they wanted to update the rifle to accommodate modern optics and NV gear. The M14 Program Manager worked with NECC and SAGE to develop the Mk 14 Mod 2 for the NECC, at least that is what the briefing document noted (See attachment #1 of a public briefing re the SSR to Mk 14 Mod 2 conversion/update process). Picture #2 is an excellent resource for anyone interested in M14 history up to present day.

So the Navy briefing implies the MK 14 Mod 2s were developed per NECC mission requirements to accommodate 24/7 operational tempo. I was also told that they are used for the NECC EDM course. Anecdotally, after some discussion regarding precision, Crane apparently advised the NECC EDM instructors to use AB39/Mk 316 for best long range precision with the Mod 2, instead of M118LR ammo they were using for the course - but that's all I know.

Re when SSRs were last fielded, I don't have first hand knowledge, but I will note that the Lake Thar Thar picture in Iraq was date stamped by the DoD as July 2007, and the picture of the two SSR's on the Navy ship USS Abraham Lincoln is date stamped May 2008 by the DoD, and noted as part of the Nassau Expeditionary Strike Group "in the Persian Gulf", so my understanding is that they were still in use in 2008. (Some stateside training pics with multiple SSRs are also date stamped May 2008 - see pic #3). Anyhow, my understanding is they were sent back to Crane around 2010-2011 where between 50 and 100 SSR's were re-born as Mk 14 Mod 2s, and that is when that picture was taken in 2011 of the rack of used SSRs along the new Mk 14 Mod 2.

As for my SSR stock, it was likely part of an August 17, 2006 sole-source solicitation posting by Crane for the unique tan McMillan M3A stocks. I actually found the original procurement posting years ago, but my screen shot it not very legible (see pic #5). It states: “M3A TACTICAL STOCK INLETTED FOR NAVY M14 SSR (NO FORWARD OR REAR LUGS) WITH 14 LENGTH OF PULL, RECOIL PAD INSTALLED, BI-POD SWIVEL ATTACHED, TAN IN COLOR.” Contract Number: fbo:N0016406T0319. According to McMillan Fiberglass Stocks, circa 2006 approximately 200 of these tan M3A stocks were ordered by the Naval Surface Warfare Center at Crane, IN. These stocks were used on the last of the non-lugged SSRs presumably built in late 2006-07.

As for scopes, again no expert, the 1996 manual refers to the Leupold fixed 10x and the 2008-dated pics still show the same fixed 10x scopes (pic #3 for example), but could some 3.5-10x scopes have been used? Of course, as Crane purchased a bunch of those scopes back in 2004. They were obviously used on the Mk 14 Mod 0s in the mid-200Xs. As for 3.5-15x NF NXS scopes, my understanding that was part of the Mk 14 Mod 2 update (see pic 4). The NF scopes were not used on the SSR rifles, to the best of my knowledge (I am under the impression the Crane contract awarded to NF in mid-2010 included the NAV-SPEC 3.5-15x scopes used on the new Mk 14 Mod 2, and various other platforms as well).

As for the mysterious Krieger Barrels and SSRs, noted M14 researcher and author Lee Emerson wrote in his book (and posted online) that Crane procured a batch of M14 Krieger heavyweight barrels in late 1997. I have never seen one either, so its a bit of an enigma. I think his research was based on a 1997-dated procurement document. (Source: M14 Rifle History and Development, Sixth Edition, Volume 1 (2019), page 192)

Anyhow, I tried to build my SSR replica as accurately as I could, with the exception of the 3 or 4 subtle differences noted in my original post.
How good is that book is it worth getting? I have been comtemplating on getting just wanted to get someones view of it.

I am almost a 100% those Krieger barrels were for the shooting team. Not arguing but the only MOD2's that I saw used were at the Expeditionary Marksman Course. I posting a picture of my current SSR builds.
Damn those are nice. I have been wanting to build one for a while now.

How good is that book is it worth getting? I have been comtemplating on getting just wanted to get someones view of it.
Emerson's books (Vol 1-3) are for pretty serious M14 enthusiasts and I recommend it for those who are more research oriented.

A better overview of M14 history in one book is the 2nd Edition of the Last Steel Warrior. I think this is a very good 1st M14 book.

Reactions: grunt0311
Just received from the builder my replica of a US Navy M14 Sniper Security Rifle (SSR). It’s not exactly a ‘vintage’ sniper rifle, as they were in service circa 1996 to around 2010, but it was the last of the Navy M14 sniper rifles, and I thought others might find this project interesting. No range report yet, but I mounted the scope and took some pics for anyone interested. This project began in the summer of 2017, when I found the proper tan McMillan M3A stock online with the military M14 selector cut-out, and was finally completed in late 2020 with the rifle being bedded by Accuracy Speaks.

Quick history of the Navy-built M14 Sniper Security Rifle (SSR): In 1996 the Naval Surface Warfare Center (NSWC) at Crane, IN, updated their late 1980s/early 1990s era M14 Physical Security Sniper Rifles (PSSR) or informally called the ‘M14 port security rifle’, with an improved version, designated the M14 Sniper Security Rifle (SSR) (NSN: 1005-LL-L99-5690). The SSR utilized a solid gray McMillan M3A stock with an adjustable cheek piece for improved ergonomics over the earlier M1A stock, and a unique Navy-designed scope mount system that was basically ‘crush-fit’ between the barrel and receiver, resulting in a very solid scope mount. Optics were updated to the Leupold Mark 4, 10x scope with M1 turrets. Based on the Navy’s funding for the earlier PSSR rifles, it would appear that approximately 300 SSR rifles were likely built at Crane in the mid-1990s, but I have not been able to find a definitive number.

Stock and barrel changes during production at Crane: The original SSR rifles from the mid-1990s used solid ‘battleship’ gray McMillan M3A stocks and had rear-lugged receivers that were likely re-used from the earlier PSSR rifles, whereas the later SSRs from the 200Xs used a tan-colored McMillian stock, with rear lugged receivers used initially, and towards end of production Crane switched to non-lugged M14 receivers. The original SSR rifles made in 1996 used heavy profile, 4-groove, 1:10 twist Barnett/Douglas barrels, followed by a procurement of Kreiger heavy barrels in late 1997 (on edit: not clear if Krieger barrels were for Navy shooting team, combat SSRs, or both?). The late production SSRs with tan stocks from the 200Xs utilized heavy profile Douglas barrel blanks, as provided by Springfield Armory, Inc. (Note: These heavy profile barrels are the same carbon steel, 6-groove, 1:10 twist barrels that SAI uses on their current M1A ‘Supermatch’ rifles. Some of the Navy barrels were stamped with a “CC” for Crane Contract. My barrel is stamped with the initials of the original builder at Crane – see details in picture #6). The rifles were issued with the same large aluminum transport cases that were used with the earlier M14 PSSR rifles, as well as the ‘M700/300 WinMag bolt-action sniper rifles, later designated as the Mk 13 Mod 0/1 and Mod 3s.

Last stop for the Navy’s precision M14 rifles: Around 2010 the SSR’s were returned to Crane, where between 50 and 100 of the barreled actions were removed from the McMillan stocks, and the actions were re-configured for a SAGE chassis with the Magpul PRS II buttstock. (see last pic). The scopes were upgraded to Nightforce 3.5-15x50mm units, and each rifle was also issued with an AN/PVS-27 night vision unit. Bipods were updated to an Atlas BT-10. They were re-designated as the Mk 14 Mod 2 EBR-EDMV (Expeditionary Designated Marksman Variant, NSN 1005-LL-L99-8736). In other words, between 50 and 100 of the SSR’s were re-born as Mk 14 Mod 2 rifles circa 2011 – which were the last of the Navy-built precision M14s (total production reported as 250 rifles). I am not sure if the NECC is still using the Mk 14 Mod 2s, or if they have transitioned to newer semi-auto 7.62x51mm platforms.

It’s not a perfect replica of an SSR – the receiver I used has a welded-on rear lug with a torque screw, but it doesn’t appear that Crane used torque screws on the SSR builds. (Torque screws via pillar bedding is somewhat labor intensive on an M14, and they were only used on the earlier PSSR rifles from the late 1980s/early 1990s). In addition, the final/late production SSRs that Crane made circa 2006 with the tan McMillan stocks used non-lugged M14 receivers. Secondly, the Leupold Mk4, 10x scope used on my tribute build is aesthetically correct, but it has a TMR reticle instead of a Mil-Dot reticle, and I don’t think the Tenebraex LRD/ARD units were issued with the SSR, but these parts fit this scope. Lastly, I used a customized trigger group that was reverse engineered from the SAI ‘M25 adjustable match trigger,’ so it’s no longer a standard USGI M14 trigger group, as it allows some level of adjustment capability. Other than those mostly subtle aspects, this replica is about as aesthetically correct as I could make it.

As a final detail, not shown, but managed to purchase a Kalispel aluminum transport case that came out of a gov’t auction, and added various small items issued with the SSR kits. Weight of this rifle w/ bipod, sling, and empty magazine is 16 lbs, 0 ozs.

Summing up, this tribute build represents a somewhat uncommon variant of an M14 that was used initially as a semi-automatic sniper rifle by Navy SEALs/Naval Special Warfare (NSW) personnel from roughly 1996 to 2000, and subsequently utilized by the Navy Expeditionary Combat Command (NECC) as Designated Marksman rifles until around 2010. No range report on this rifle yet as I just got it back from the builder, but after starting this tribute project 3.5 years ago, I’m glad it’s finally finished…

Is that scope mount available? An the rifle is just kick ass, really nice job!

Is that scope mount available? An the rifle is just kick ass, really nice job!
Thanks. I think my buddy has a few more replica SSR scope mounts. They are well made.

Reviving an old thread. Where can I find a Navy SSR scope mount?
A talented machinist made about 20 or 25 back in 2018, and I've pinged him. He might have one left, but needs to check. If so, I'll send you his info. They were unicorn parts until he made a small batch for crazies like me (& him), who really wanted to make an SSR replica.

Fwiw, It took two years of effort to make them, here's the rapid prototype in plastic he did once, once we had good measurements.
SSR plastic mock-up.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Charlie112
A talented machinist made about 20 or so back in 2018, and I've pinged him. He might have one left, but needs to check. If so, I'll send you his info. They were unicorn parts until he made a small batch for crazies like me (& him), who really wanted to make an SSR replica.

Fwiw, It took two years of effort to make them, here's the rapid prototype in plastic he did once, once we had good measurements.
View attachment 8179061
That would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

A talented machinist made about 20 or 25 back in 2018, and I've pinged him. He might have one left, but needs to check. If so, I'll send you his info. They were unicorn parts until he made a small batch for crazies like me (& him), who really wanted to make an SSR replica.

View attachment 8179061
Hey dude any update on this thread. Hope it all went well.

Beautiful tribute build. Thank you for the background. I have a stock M1A that I want to make a build out of but I need to determine the direction I want to go. During my tours in Iraq 2005-2009, I was the only helo crewman to carry an M14. Everyone else was taking M4's. Our helos guns all used 7.62 so I had 1000's or rounds available....... after they were removed from the links. Oh. I still miss those days. Again, beautiful build.

Reactions: Random Guy