• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Report on 338 LM ammo from Southwest Ammo.

desertHK

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2008
AZ
This is just a preliminary report on the 338LM produced by Mike at Southwest Ammo (A sponsor vendor here on the Hide).

Disclaimer: I am not in anyway related, or a partner of the business. I asked Mike if I could test his 338LM ammo in my rifle. He was gracious enough to let me test his ammo.

Rifle info: AIAWSM 338 LM, 27" bareel, 1:11" twist rate.

Condition: Temp= 84 degrees, Hum=20%, Baro= 27.88, Altitude=2000, DA=4100. These info were obtained from my Kestrel 4000. Bright and warm on a standard day here in the AZ desert. (Sorry folks from the North and back East).

Chronograph data were done using a CED M2 set at 10 feet from muzzle brake.

Ammo used:
300 scenars, Jamison brass, OAL at 3.600"
Velocity High= 2722 fps, Low=2694 fps, Avg=2712 fps, ES=28. 5 shots average.

** Observed that my bolt was a bit sticky. On a couple shots, I had to give it a decent pull to get the bolt open. (Thanks for the bombproof build of an AIAWSM).

235 Solid projos from Dynamic Research, Jamison brass, 3.600" OAL. These were 5 shots average.

Velocity High=2974 fps, Low=2962 fps, Avg=2968 fps, ES=12

Results: The 300 scenar group was a bit larger than the solid projo group. Both were sub MOA. I think the 300 scenar is a bit heavy for my rifle, although I have used the 300 SMK good out to 1 mile before. However, the same observation was made when I compared the 300 SMK vs. 250 scenars, the scenar goup won everytime. Perhaps, at 100 yards, the 300 SMK has had the time to stabilize yet. With respect to the 235 solid projo, the first three shoots measured 0.664" from edge to edge. I pulled the last two rounds. Due to limited supply of ammo, I shot these groups through the chrono while obtaining for velocity. Definitely didn't want to shoot my chrono.

Conclusion: Both ammo are certainly subMOA. For those who have at least 1:10" twist, and don't reload, the 300 grain pill is the way to go. Certainly for the price? You can't beat what Mike offers. The solid projos has definitely sparkled my interest. I would like to experiment with this a bit more. With an advertised BC of 0.82, I am sure that it will go a long way.

Bottom line, if you are not a handloader, and want good match grade ammo at a decent price, I would not hesitate to pick up ammo from Mike of Southwest Ammo. You won't regret it.

Will try to test these ammo at 1K and beyond. I have special interest in the solid projos to see how it does at 2K+.

Re: Report on 338 LM ammo from Southwest Ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hope to test mine with you and JTG in the future DHK </div></div>

For sure Dave. If you don't mind a little ride, we are more than happy to have you. I'll try to coordinate something soon. Will PM you.

Thanks for the write up DHK. It's good to know that there are some factory options out there that don't cost what Black Hills, etc. are offering. I reload, but would like to try these out.

Desert HK, thanks for taking the time to do a writeup for us. It was great meeting you, talking, and lookng over the two very nice rifles you brought. I am looking forward to shooting with you soon.

Just for clarification, the 300 Scenar load you were shooting was the hottest (still within CIP specs) of our pre-production ammo that we set aside for review. Though, we did both velocity and pressure testing with significantly higher powder charges. The production load is milder, very close to the loads Tucson Dave has. There will be no sticky bolt or extraction issues with it. WuLitian here on the hide purchased some and has been getting great results.

The 235 Predator solid load is great. We worked it up the first day, and it has shot awesome for everybody. The guys at Dynamic Research LLC make some really top notch projectiles.

Also, we are loading 338 Lapua to 3.600" oal, to fit in the AI magazine.

Thanks for the info. Always looking for .338 sources.

Mike,
What type of projectile is the 235 grain Predator solid?

The 235 solid is made by Dynamic Research LLC. http://www.dynamicresearchllc.com/2.html
It is a machined solid brass bullet, with a published BC of .82. We are loading them to 3000-3050 fps, at an oal of 3.6".

It is a shooter for sure. Being busy and haven't been able to get out to the desert to test it at longer ranges (1000+). Will let you know Mike when I go.

How do the brass bullets affect barrel wear as compared to copper?

We have no long term data on barrel wear. However, our experience has shown that the reduced bearing surface and brass construction has lead to lower pressures and fouling, and slightly higher velocities than with standard jacketed lead bullets of similar weights. The loads we have developed and tested for pressure, velocity, and accuracy, have been very similar to those listed for moly coated bullets of the same weight.

Thanks,

Mike

Anyone run this ammo through a DTA SRS yet? Im interested
smile.gif

This was from one of our 338 Lapua customers:

MIke,
I went out and shot a box of the .338 ammo last night and I am VERY impressed. My shooting was not the greatest but I literally have three groups of 5 shots in which there are only 3 holes at 100 yards. When I say 3 holes, I mean, two rounds off a bit but three rounds went through the exact same spot. Considering the rifle setup, I'm pretty confident that what this shows is that the .338s were perfect and the "misses" (still within 1 moa) were due to my bad shooting skills. I was shooting a DTA SRS prone off an ATLAS bipod with a rear bag using a USOptics SN-3 3.2-17.
Thanks again for making a GREAT product! Hopefully, as my skills increase, my groups will reflect a better representation of the true potential of your ammo!

Thanks,